Blue eyes???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessykah

Reaction score
I am new to NZW's and recently purchased a breeding trio. 2 of them have red eyes, but one has blue eyes. Does this mean that she isn't purebred? (at least I can identify them easily haha)

I think that's correct...I think I've read that means a vienna gene somewhere in the background...

Perhaps its just my opinion, But yes, that means she is not purebred.
"The most noticeable characteristic of New Zealand white rabbits is their bright eyes, which range in shade from pale pink to bright ruby red"

The BEW
and the REWs are two different genes, a Vennia, is considered a 'pattern' where a REW is a color, and here is the kicker, it's a gamble what you would get out of the mix.

And Blue eyes are dominant over the red-- you can have a BEW NZ, especially if one of the parents was brown eyed. I have a marked doe here that I know is carrying, and has passed on, the blue eyes.

Blue eyes are a recessive gene it requires that both parents pass along the vienna gene. Ruby Eyed white is also recessive, both parents must have the c gene in order to get REW. However REW can mask the BEW gene, and BEW can mask the REW gene which is why most breeders tend to keep REW and BEW separate from each other, or you end up with a big headache.

Since NZW do not have blue eyes it's safe to assume they're not purebred. You'll often find that people will sell a white rabbit as a NZW no matter what it came out of.

Now you are really screwing with me-- how can BEW mask REW if REW can mask BEW? Isn't eye color unrelated to coat color, UNLESS there is albinism present? Somewhere, I beleive on this list, it was stated that BEW is always dominant over REW.

if a person wanted to breed for eye color while making the coat a 'self' other than white at the same time, does this mean the REW NZ cannot be used?

BEW is aaB_C_D_E_vv
REW is aaB_ccD_E_VV

(vv = BEW. VV= Non vienna carrier)

A bew out of REW genetically is aaB_CcD_E_vv
a rew out of bew genetically is aaB_ccD_e_Vv

BEW is also a form of albinism so they genetically are hiding another colour as well.

DevonW":1g3s5pk6 said:
BEW is also a form of albinism so they genetically are hiding another colour as well.

Aren't they typically just hiding some form of a Dutch pattern though? Or can they be covering up a regular color, like REW does?

When only one Vienna gene is inherited it is only incompletely dominant, which is why you get that white dutch type pattern, but even that is random and it may only be a snip on the forehead to a full blown dutch pattern and blue/blue marbling in the eyes. Modifiers seem to be playing a big part in the Vienna markings as well.

__________ Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:54 pm __________

Forgot to add... Maybe you have a Bevern, they come in blue eyed white. In fact they are probably the original breed to carry the Vienna gene.

Oh, yeah, I have friend who does BEW's half vienna are kinda fugly, you can have a perfectly marked rabbit, with 'washed out' markings, half a pattern etc.

you have no idea how much i woulod do to get a BEW NZ. Its actually a goal of mine...i think red eyes are nasty looking...but like the white fur. and i think vienna marked rabbits are cute. Since they are only meat, I dont worry to much about color, other than I like it!

there are some people on HT that would say those nasty red eyes are a blessing- makes it easier to bop the critters come butchering day. They call them 'devil eyes', especially when a rabbit is aggressive to people.

Fugly too you! cute too pet buyers, they couldnt buy them fast enough.

It does make it easier perhaps...still don't like them. Fortunately, never had too much trouble without them.

Back