Bloody nose!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsmoak

Reaction score
Okay, these commercial NZW's are killing me. I bought eight, kept three, had to cull the buck due to wry neck, and had two does left.

One has a litter about two weeks old, and had the tiniest bit of snot on her nose yesterday, so I moved her away from everybody else, cleaned her face and if she so much as sneezes I will cull her after the kits are weaned. (And the kits will stay separate -- they're all for meat anyway as they are crosses.)

Then I looked at the other doe and she has a wet bloody nose! I scooped her up and stuck her in a temporary cage. Came in to look around for a possible cause and didn't find anything other than the usual wet nose == pasturella.

I culled her. The first doe took my good quarantine cage and I don't really have room to keep two of them separate.

Definitely a failed experiment, buying from a big commercial rabbitry where they have been bred in climate controlled barns and moving them to my outside-under-a-tarp-with-cats-and-chickens setup.

Fingers crossed that none of the Californians picked up whatever those two had going on!

-Wendy

wsmoak":2rdnwm1g said:
Okay, these commercial NZW's are killing me. I bought eight, kept three, had to cull the buck due to wry neck, and had two does left.

One has a litter about two weeks old, and had the tiniest bit of snot on her nose yesterday, so I moved her away from everybody else, cleaned her face and if she so much as sneezes I will cull her after the kits are weaned. (And the kits will stay separate -- they're all for meat anyway as they are crosses.)

Then I looked at the other doe and she has a wet bloody nose! I scooped her up and stuck her in a temporary cage. Came in to look around for a possible cause and didn't find anything other than the usual wet nose == pasturella.

I culled her. The first doe took my good quarantine cage and I don't really have room to keep two of them separate.

Definitely a failed experiment, buying from a big commercial rabbitry where they have been bred in climate controlled barns and moving them to my outside-under-a-tarp-with-cats-and-chickens setup.

Fingers crossed that none of the Californians picked up whatever those two had going on!

-Wendy

One of the things I try to stress to people that are just getting into rabbits is to get your rabbits from a place where they are housed in a similar fashion to what you mean to use. We got all of ours from breeders that do not have climate controlled facilities, since ours is not. I would imagine that the immune system is just not up to the additional stress of having to deal with temperature fluctuations, etc...

oneacre is right. When i first started i did what you did. THere was someone getting out of the rabbit business he had allot of rabbits. So i bought allot of adult breeding rabbits from him. Without thinking of the difference in temp control as he had his in. MIne wasnt. After about 3 weeks. Well lets say i had to cull all and start over... Now i bought rabbits that i knew that was use to be outside. A big difference.

Back