Black Otter or Black Marten?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A black SILVER Martin is a rabbit that has the tan and chinchilla genes expressed, a black SABLE marten has the tan and sable gene expressed and a black otter has the tan and full colour gene expressed

Visually a silver marten will have a black back/saddle with white/grey trim and not have any brown colour in its trimmings (ears, eyes, feet, belly)

A sable marten will have a sable coloured saddle and cream coloured trim

A otter will have a black saddle with brown trim and a white/cream belly

My friends litter:
ITEPZ6p.jpg

Her guesses are the ones on the picture. I was thinking the top dark one was blue otter? And the top right was opal, the one under that broken fawn? Below that a solid fawn? They are 4 days old.

See them but WAY too early to sort out colours ;)

Post again in a couple weeks

What colour are the parents?

PS they don't look well fed, inform your friend that baby bunnies need a LOT of rest and disturbing them causes them to not gain weight. Six is also a big litter for a small breed rabbit and/or the doe may not be producing enough milk so the kits need even more rest so they don't expend energy/calories wiggling/exercising

Ok, I'll send pics when they get a bit older.

Dood, the pics were taken a before feeding. (The mother isn't feeding them so my friend is holding the doe down once a day for the kits to nurse.)

__________ Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:00 pm __________

Here is a couple pics!
Colors?

lSSATOp.jpg

eMTxV08.jpg
<br /><br /> __________ Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:00 pm __________ <br /><br /> I'm thinking 3 black otters, 1 broken orange, and a solid orange...

Dam is a false Charlie broken chestnut who carries the non-extension gene (aka tort) and the sire is a fawn, possibly a red (fawn with wide band)

Another way to think of fawn is as a torted chestnut/chestnut tort :)

Because she had fawn coloured kits

If she had REW then both parents must carry that gene

The one who died sorta looked dilute or possibly shaded so they might both carry those recessive genes but it could also of been just a lighter version of fawn

Dood":1l56ijvb said:
Broken fawn, fawn and 3 chestnuts

What colour are the parents ? Or can you post pictures
Dood, how are you so amazing? xD
You guessed right, of course! Because they are now older and I indeed have 1 fawn, 1 broken fawn, and 3 chestnuts :p

Back