Black+blue= WAIT WHAT? (pics added)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle@theWintertime

Reaction score
I bred my black buck (who MIGHT carry dilute but probably not) to my blue doe; I expected 100% black carrying-dilute kits, right?

I...I think I got torts. :shock: I mean most were black, but two are...goldenish even at birth, with a grayer face and tort-like markings.

HOW CAN THIS BE????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotfl:

I don't get it. Neither rabbit has a tort ANYWHERE on their pedigree...the blue doe has blacks, blues, broken blacks and blues, and a REW that is genetically black-carrying-blue...the black buck has blacks, a blue, broken blacks, a broken blue, a few black otters and a single himalayan.

I don't "get" tort...and totally didn't expect this!!!

I will post pictures soon to "verify"...lol.

Tort deals with the "E series". A tort gene is recessive, and is hidden when paired with a normal extension gene. Both your rabbits happened to be carrying the tort gene! Congrats on the kits!

The tort peanut died shortly after birth...the normal tort is still doing great. :)

Deceased peanut...tort?
tortables02_zps68e7566f.jpg

Live tort (?) runt with deceased peanut:
tortables01_zps1b28b892.jpg

Tort runt???
tortables04_zps1ff0961b.jpg

tortables03_zps574eec42.jpg

These are torts, right? That looks like tort????

Look like tort to me, but I'm no expert on rex colours - they are the bane of my existence :lol:

Black buck aa B_ C_ Dd? Ee
Blue doe. aa B_ C_ dd Ee

Congratulations on the Wonder Mystery Tort Popples! :p

(Disclaimer: I'm saying tort because y'all said tort, not because I know anything. :lol: )

When I had french lops that was what tort looked like. Then we also called it Madagascar. Don't know why.
Anyway congrats on the mystery popples! Can't wait for them to get bigger! :)

Looks like tort to me! Only once did I ever have a tort occur. I bred my Smoke Pearl Mini Lop buck to a meat doe and out came 1 tort kit! He must of been carrying the gene for a few generations because it wan't listed on his pedigree. Just goes to show that genes can be super sneaky and hide!

Yup, that is a tort, and pretty at that!

Apparently both the parents of the kits carried non-extension so you were able to get torts. Often times the pedigrees don't even show it but the gene can lurk around. Also, you don't know what color siblings of the rabbits were on the pedigrees either so it can continue to be bred in.

Miss M":199yez8l said:
Congratulations on the Wonder Mystery Tort Popples! :p

(Disclaimer: I'm saying tort because y'all said tort, not because I know anything. :lol: )

:rotfl: That sounds eerily similar to Black + Blue= Popples! :lol:

Rexisbest":199yez8l said:
Tort! My daughter raises them but they are never born with that much fur and shading....were they overdue?

:yeahthat:

Those are some furry kits, Kyle! When my LH doe had what I believe were torts (copy Miss M's disclaimer HERE), the shading was much paler- maybe mine were blue and yours are/is black?

I assume these picts are not of the same day, though I had a group of Rex that seemed to fur out in a days time, but they were three days overdue.
Tort is a Mini Rex color, so this is not unusual. My buns were hiding ej for 4 generations, and unless I pair up two that have it, or get a Red, I will might never see it. I've got choc in the line, directly, and after 80 plus kits, I have not had one single chocolate bun, but Frosted got a lilac in her first try with a pair from me :0 Go figure.

AmysMacdog":1yh1g7so said:
When I had french lops that was what tort looked like. Then we also called it Madagascar. Don't know why.
Anyway congrats on the mystery popples! Can't wait for them to get bigger! :)

That colour is called Madagaskar in swedish :)

Rexisbest":3f8xbgfy said:
Tort! My daughter raises them but they are never born with that much fur and shading....were they overdue?

They were...Monday was the 31st day, she kindled on Wednesday early morning. :)

Tort or not tort, it's pretty!

Thanks! I'm actually kind of excited about this SURPRIZE!!!tort...it's so neat. :)

Also, you don't know what color siblings of the rabbits were on the pedigrees either so it can continue to be bred in.

That's certainly true, too...

Those are some furry kits, Kyle! When my LH doe had what I believe were torts (copy Miss M's disclaimer HERE), the shading was much paler- maybe mine were blue and yours are/is black?

They SHOULD be black tort...unless Jack also carries dilute. He may, since there ARE blues on his pedigree...but then again, maybe not. :lol: Clearly they are all crazy with genetics!!! But yes they should be black tort...which is good 'cause I don't think blue tort can be shown in MR.

I assume these picts are not of the same day, though I had a group of Rex that seemed to fur out in a days time, but they were three days overdue.

Nope, these pics were taken less than four hours or so after they were born. :)

Well at least tort is recognized, if it's a blue tort that can still be used. Blue torts are so pretty. Standard Rex doesn't even have tort, I would completely freak out if a tort suddenly appeared in my litters.<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:04 am __________<br /><br />
Dood":1tt3otcy said:
Look like tort to me, but I'm no expert on rex colours - they are the bane of my existence :lol:

Rex colors don't look any different than colors do in any other breed, except Wool breeds. The only exception is Chestnut/Castor, and once you've seen a Castor you'll know one.

Looks like torts to me. My one doe had a tort and 2 broken torts in her last litter. It's a really pretty color, very flashy.

Latest posts

Back