Biggest rabbit oopsies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mystang89. no Blacky has never recovered.
when ever he even sees Biggie, he sticks his rear end into the closest corner
he can find. and he just quivers for a few mins.
to spare him any more insults, I have moved him away from Biggie's pen.LOL

Hmmmm

One mistake I made was leaving a litter of very young kits in a box in the floor with my dog sitting on the couch while I went outside for 5 mins.

Another mistake was, when getting a rabbit out of a top cage, accidently letting it slide its foot on the wire cage floor. It broke several toe nails and this was a rabbit I had planned for a while to show, and its first show was the next day. I was actually getting him out to groom him. Ever since then I've made darn sure to securely pick each rabbit up and control its back legs before proceding, and to stand on something to elevate me if the cage is too high to fully do this.

And another... if your rabbit has a matt and you brush it, you CAN pull skin off. Now I am extra delicate when it comes to getting out matts.

You live and learn.

mystang89":31hpcmmp said:
I just went outside again to make sure the water wasn't frozen and found my OTHER buck out with the does :shock: i didnt open his cage, he did. Looked around and saw one of my does crounch in the corner with the "i've been violated" look on her face. I hate not know if/when new kits are going to arrive.

That's how our one buck got named Hairy Houdini! Luckily, most of his escapes occurred before his easter eggs dropped, and the one time after that he did manage to climb into mama's cage, she was already preggers, so was just running in circles from him grunting, "boy, I brought you into this world, don't make me take you out"! We now have a spring clip holding his cage latch "locked".

So far my worst one has been taking my kids word that all is well and everybody has been fed and watered. :roll:

On a very hot day the water system broke and no one thought to tell me the bucket was dry and the rabbits had no water. Only lost one but it was a very close run thing with a few others.

I check behind them now!<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 am __________<br /><br />Made a major ooopsie yesterday. I usually take the doe to the buck and leave them together for anything between an hour and a week.

Never had a problem so far doing it that way.

Had one yesterday though :roll:

All was well up until afternoon school run time so I thought, I'll just take her out when I get back.

Got back to find the cage full of HER fur, her face and body scratched up and her nose - the bit that folds down to attach to the top lip - torn half off.

Don't know what went down but it went baaaaaadly for her!

So wont ever be leaving bucks and does together. Which is a shame as they, up till now at least, seem so happy together, grooming and snuggling each other.

This is a buck we raised and its only his second time with a doe but have to say, am wondering if it will be his last :angry:

I learned that lesson fairly quick lol first time I tried breeding 2 of my rabbits they turned into a ball of teeth and claws after about 5seconds

Worst mistake I made was mid September its still hot here I had 1 pregnant doe and one with a litter of 7 and some how I got distracted in my morning bunny maintenance and had taken there water bottles in and filled them brought them back out and sat them down next to the cages and some how forgot to hang them on the cages checked on them the next morning and everyone was lethargic and the shine was gone from there eyes.

that's when I noticed my mistake it was the only time that will ever happen. I spent about 10min filling and refilling dishes of water for them to drink out of until they had there fill Didn't lose any bunny s but I triple check for water now

CWD":1nyq57sq said:
Mystang89. no Blacky has never recovered.
when ever he even sees Biggie, he sticks his rear end into the closest corner
he can find. and he just quivers for a few mins.
to spare him any more insults, I have moved him away from Biggie's pen.LOL
They are such horn dogs lol, neither noticed there was something amiss at the time? That just cracks me up!

Lizardslaps, that is why I use crocks ... easy to see if they are empty/frozen, and only take them up to dump then right back they go for fill up. I had one that the valve got a piece of hay stuck in it and by late afternoon, I pulled the bottle to see why the water level wasn't going down ... she *only* drank one full crock, but lesson learned! Changed out all the bottles for crocks and not had a problem since.

heb":z4i66bg3 said:
Another mistake was, when getting a rabbit out of a top cage, accidently letting it slide its foot on the wire cage floor. It broke several toe nails and this was a rabbit I had planned for a while to show, and its first show was the next day. I was actually getting him out to groom him. Ever since then I've made darn sure to securely pick each rabbit up and control its back legs before proceding, and to stand on something to elevate me if the cage is too high to fully do this.

My friend did that and now her bunny has a broken paw, and a brand new hutch!

My biggest ooooopsy of all time was discovering a breeder of wonderful, quality, colored New Zealands who sells them for $10 each if you get three or more.

I just came back with ten :oops:

GBov":1qi43129 said:
My biggest ooooopsy of all time was discovering a breeder of wonderful, quality, colored New Zealands who sells them for $10 each if you get three or more.

I just came back with ten :oops:

That sounds like less of an OOPS and more of a VICTORY!!! Just sayin'. ;)

the worst oopsies I have made, and this will NEVER happen again.
I moved all of my pens off of the patio from under the patio cover.
I cleaned and washed the patio washed the pens.I made sure everybunny had plenty of fresh
water, and plenty of shade. I went to town for about 3 hours. while I was gone the heat had risen up to 105.
when I got home I saw no shade, my negibor had cut his tree down, that was providing the rabbits shade.
I lost 27 rabbits to the heat, and 3 rabbits survived. 2 bucks and a doe.and she never really recovered from the heat.

CWD":1vz3aczl said:
I cleaned and washed the patio washed the pens.I made sure everybunny had plenty of fresh
water, and plenty of shade. I went to town for about 3 hours. while I was gone the heat had risen up to 105.
when I got home I saw no shade, my negibor had cut his tree down, that was providing the rabbits shade.
I lost 27 rabbits to the heat, and 3 rabbits survived. 2 bucks and a doe.and she never really recovered from the heat.

OMG how heart breaking for you!

CWD":1b80rdt7 said:

That is terrible, I am so sorry! But that wasn't you making a mistake, you had no way of knowing your neighbor was going to do that. :(

Biggest oopsies:
buying an English lop buck from some lady I met on craigslist (I had never had rabbits before, other than as a kid). It turned out to be a mini lop DOE.
Feeding oats to rabbits. In a bowl as big as my head. My Flemish buck was dead the next morning and bloated to the size of a pregnant cocker spaniel.
That's just a couple of them.

Back