Beverens ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I'm probably going to be buying some Beverns next week, and wanted to see if any here have info on the breed? So far I know that they're a fur/meat rabbit, endangered list, and generally a really nice rabbit. Anything in particular that I should look for in the rabbits?

Oh, I really like Beverens- please post pictures once they arrive home. When you are looking at them, try to pick out stock that has a solid mandolin shape with good depth and hindquarters that are wide and meaty. Although bucks can be 8 pounds and does can be 10, I would try to get a bigger buck and does (11lbs for bucks and 12lbs for does) if at all possible. Their fur should be really thick and glossy, not too soft- they get a considerable number of points for showing with that great fur and body, but for non-show use it would make lovely blankets, etc. I have read that some breeders are completely opposed to breeding the BEW's to the blacks and blues because they said it causes problems in color, white toenails, etc., but some other breeders do it all the time so all I can say is to talk to the breeder about it when you purchase and see what they have to say.

Best of luck,

Lauren

First off what they call blues are not blues, their genetic Lilacs, its one of those silly rabbit color name things again. I wonder why they don't allow chocolates because you can get them in your litters when crossing the so called blues to blacks or whites. The whites as you know are BEW, hence why they discourage color crossing because then you get vienna marked/carriers. I came very close to getting Beverens once, I have a BEW problem. I've heard that the does can be very aggressive towards bucks and it might be best to table breed them. Really pretty, really big bunnies.

Maybe Franco or someone can clarify, but I didn't think that all blue Beverens are genetic lilacs or are even really supposed to be necessarily. I was under the impression from the breed club and the ALBC that the light blue color was selectively bred for generation after generation and that lilac/choco may be a factor in some lines as ruby glow in the eye is allowed, but they are supposed to be a soft lavender color, not the traditional pinkish dove cast that lilacs have or the dark blue that other breeds blues have, either. So it sounds like (depending on the animal and lines), it could be a light blue (genetic blue) or a essentially what would be considered a poor quality lilac in other breeds (genetic lilac).

From what I read, the breeders say that this blue color is one of the things that is separate from all other rabbit breeds and is a reason that the Beveren is "the breed of distinction." On the Beveren yahoo group that I am a member of I remember that the blue color is a subject of frustration and debate in some cases and I even thought there was a proposed standard change, but I don't know what ever happened with it (if anything). I think some folks are working with chocolate and would like it to be recognized also (and I am betting their blues are genetic lilacs in some cases), but I think others say that type should be number one and forget the color debate.

Thanks!

Lauren

I now have 4 Beverens...2 blue, 2 black. The blues (juniors) both come from blue x chocolate. (which I am EXTREMELY happy with). The blacks are both blue x black..i think. maybe one was blue x blue. (Also brought home 3 lovely Americans)

anyway...The people I was learning from were talking about "blue" (a lighter blue than the American breed blue...it looks like a true bluegrey, where the American seems to be more dark grey/blue) and the possibility of GETTING a lilac.

There was a really pretty doe (already spoken for) that was chocolate. Really lovely color..like looking at a huge milk chocolate truffle..with eyes and ears. ;)

It's going to be an interesting learning experience. I never thought I'd say this again after the years of showing horses, but...I'm actually excited about the possibility of showing again!

I put up a post/pics about them on the blogs we have here on rabbittalk: http://rabbittalk.com/blogs/anntann/2010/08/05/americans-and-beverens-now/<br /><br />__________ Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:00 am __________<br /><br />About the blue color thing...I thought I'd post two pictures. First is a blue American doe. The two folks who were also looking at the herd for purchases said she had good blue color for American standard. The second picture is of a Beverens..every blue beverens I saw there had this same color, and they said it was "the blue" of the standard.

blueAMdoe.jpg
Jr_buck_blue-1.jpg

The pictures were taken one after another. Same lighting, basically the same direction. You can see the color difference. The way the breeders have refined a color over decades is fascinating..and STILL the body type is there...good round butts, long shoulders I guess, which leads to the mandolin shape. And the head with the very strong V shape ear base.

Oh I LOVE that Beveren and the American is nice, too. I have wanted to work with a heritage breed forever and I think Beverens would fit the bill, except that I haven't been able to find any in my area after more than a year now.

Thanks!

Lauren

Lauren, There are quite a few breeders up here in Wisconsin, and some a bit further south.http://beverens.webs.com/breederlistings.htm is the breeder listing. It's quite possible to put together a run to the south...maybe I can find buyers for a few angoras, beverens, americans...from the breeders up here. I love to drive.

Heck, doesn't cost that much to ship rabbits, either.
anywho...or maybe you could vacation up north! and take a couple of "friends" home with you!

I used to spend every summer in the West Bend area and I love it there, but I know I can't go back any time soon with my school schedule for the next 16-18 months (no vacations for us). That said if you hear of anyone taking a trip this way later on, please think of me. :)

Also, what kind if shipping are you talking about? Last I looked, it was $250+ to ship with the airlines and that is way out of my budget and the only rabbit I have had transported ever was somehow mixed up with another rabbit last month and ended up in the wrong state entirely. It is straightened out now due to some awesome folks that helped me, but yikes!

Thanks!

Lauren

Latest posts

Back