Better Breed for Bunny Jumping?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TF3

Reaction score
My daughter (nearly 10) wants two things for her August birthday: a carving knife and a bunny jumping bunny.
I made sure the two items weren't connected :x :lol:

Now, I don't know that there would be any actual competitions any where near us, but she'd like to train and would enjoy the challenge.
I have done dog agility in the past but that is where my knowledge ends.

Is there a best size? Best breed in terms of weight/ physicality for the jumps? In terms of trainability?

I don't know for sure, but I can tell you that my dutch doe and her cross-breed daughter both look very athletic and sporting (as well as having darling personalities). The clicker training thing seems to work really well for hopping. I'm interested in it as well, just haven't had time to work on it! :)

I always feel that rabbits with longer legs do better. Like Himalayan or Belgium hare. But I think any rabbit can be trained for jumping as for size I'd get a medium sized rabbit like rex or even a mutt :D

Tan, English Spot?
Polish can do the rabbit hopping too and they are just great with kids and great beginner bunnies. That would be my pick. :D I wouldn't get something too big so she can handle it.

So less meaty, more leggy mid-sized, makes sense.
I haven't had time to do much reading, are they classed by size or weight as to what they jump?
A Dutch would be darling :)
Our Rex cross that was supposed to be bred when we bought her doesn't look like she'll kindle-- we were thinking one of her kits.

The question of "best breed for hopping" comes up a lot. The personality of the rabbit matters much more than the breed. You want a rabbit that is inquisitive, energetic - but not wild, and has a good relationship with the handler. A lot of people immediately think of running breeds when thinking of hopping, but you want to be careful of finer boned rabbits, as they may need more time to mature before training to jump. I know someone much more experiences than I am with both hopping and Belgian Hares that recommends not training a Hare until the are at least a year old to give them time to develop. If you watch the videos from Europe where they have been hopping much longer than in the States, you will see many of their hoppers are dutch, small lops, or other more compact breeds. Many of their hoppers are actually crosses bred specifically for performance sports.

All that being said, my kids have two Netherlands and a cross (Netherland/Tan/Thrianta) that they use for hopping. We also just started working with one of our new Czech Frosty does and she is a natural!!

BTW, I noticed that you are in Canada. I do know that at least one group that does rabbit performance events in Canada have very different standards than what we are currently doing in the US. One big difference is that they require the rabbits to be spayed/neutered. Not sure what others are doing up there.

Thanks Tamara!
Very helpful and jives with dogs-- the right dog has the right attitude to work, a good bond and physically sound, no matter the breed :) also the maturity of bone and muscle before any serious athletics.

I think it would make sense for her to pick out of a home bred litter-- so we could see the bunny develop over time as far as temperament and bond. Our current litter had 10 buns and I would only consider one of them to show the kind of curiosity and connection that would be advantageous for training. She could practice training with this one as she is staying, but is FG so I wouldn't want them jumping!

Good to know re. The spaying/neuter... Not happening but I totally get why!

My big FG buck is being clicker trained right now to get him in his crate at night and to come to me. He's getting it but is rather indifferent LOL

not sure where south river is but.... I have a little holland lop buck that might suit your purposes. He's bright, likes people, and seems over all a good boy. (actually have two that would fit the bill) .. based on what the 4H hopping club kids have told me about what type of bunny works well. :)

Thanks ladysown! We are quite far from you, though :)
We decided to hang on to 'Half and Half'~ the kit from our first litter who has such a great personality and is the runt (he is about 1/2 the size of his littermates, strong and healthy but small, which is an issue with FG cross!). He has had the star personality from the get go and his size shouldn't be enormous. He is one side fawn, the other harlequin, right down his midline LOL

TF3":36n8xw3j said:
Thanks ladysown! We are quite far from you, though :)
We decided to hang on to 'Half and Half'~ the kit from our first litter who has such a great personality and is the runt (he is about 1/2 the size of his littermates, strong and healthy but small, which is an issue with FG cross!). He has had the star personality from the get go and his size shouldn't be enormous. He is one side fawn, the other harlequin, right down his midline LOL

Wow... That sounds like a possible chchimera! Pictures??

ZachsRabbits":301pgodr said:
Tan, English Spot?
Polish can do the rabbit hopping too and they are just great with kids and great beginner bunnies. That would be my pick. :D I wouldn't get something too big so she can handle it.

Spots all the way! Long legs, lean body!
sQsfVzz.jpg

Korras first time hopping!
Nu2WdLW.jpg

And they are a marked breed so you can usually get a nicely typed bun thats just marked wrong, or solid
bVEtfdI.jpg

Latest posts

Back