Best way to improve condition after transport

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philothea

Reaction score
I just got 6 rabbits from a transport and some of them have been on the road almost 10 days. They all lost some condition which would be expected but three of them just didn't eat much the person said.
What is the best/safest way to get some condition back on them. (They were on pellets and hay cubes for transport.) I gave them some dilute bounce back in their water bottles. I have nutri drops as well that I could use. I just want to make the transition and easy on them as possible.

Thanks!

He's transporting my velveteens. I have no idea about boosting condition after transport, but I am very impressed that he knows who's eating and who isn't with the number of rabbits he's transporting!!

Oats and BOSS, haven't seen a bunny resist those yet.

They came a along way, the Bounce back is a good idea.

I hear Clyde is about two days behind. If he ever does this again, it would make an interesting "Where's Clyde" follow along adventure.

It has been really interesting to follow along with in the FB group and maps people are posting.

I was impressed as well that he was able to tell me how each rabbit was doing.
I did top dress the feed of all of them with rolled oats and the three that had been eating went for it, the others really haven't touched it. I might pull out the nutridrops just to get something in them. It could they just need to get comfortable.
The real test will be I they eat tonight. Two of the non eaters have pooped and one peed so at least things are moving.
Ironically the cheaper 3 of the 6 are the ones chowing down and the 3 I paid more for are the ones havin issues. Go figure.

Keep us updated :) I definitely want to know how they're doing and what you've had to do to get them eating again. It could be very useful when my buns get here. They not only are going with Clyde from OH to NY, but then with another transporter from NY back to Ontario.

Will do. Two of these came from MI, 2 from IN and 2 from NJ. He made the Texas and OK deliveries today. I think he is trying to get to Amarillo, TX today.

Bad Habit":yr7c2wh3 said:
It has been really interesting to follow along with in the FB group and maps people are posting.

Only people who are receiving rabbits from him are allowed in the group.

I wanted him to get me some French Angoras, but the lady who had them (his cousin) would not be ready until around Convention.

skysthelimit":pi79pjot said:
Bad Habit":pi79pjot said:

Only people who are receiving rabbits from him are allowed in the group.

Why would anyone else want in that group anyway?

Hmm, didn't you just say it's been really interesting to follow along and see the maps people are posting?

Because Clyde is just that cool, and as a fellow breeder/friend, and one who has never been across the country, I find this trip interesting.

Anyway, before you accuse me again for taking over someone thread with a comment I made as an offhand remark and fascination with Clyde's bunny train...

Try the BOSS and oats, and see how it goes. A litter probiotic would be a good thing as well.

Well 1 of the three is doing much better, eating, got in my lap and curious just like a jr buck usually is. The jr doe, eating a little, sounding a bit better. The NZ jr doe is my concern, not eating (a few small, timothy hay cubes, no pellets, no rolled oats). Drank a little, peed some, but no poop since I got her home (I think she might have on the transport back to the house but it was a 3 hole carrier, so no guarantee it was her.
I got a ml of nutridrops in her this morning (scratches to prove it.) I am going to break down and take her to the vet, she just might be dehydrated from the stress of the trip and a subQ shot might be the trick. There is no obivous bloating which is good, but she needs to eat more.

Some bounce back just fine, and some do not. Just make sure they have plenty of water and hay if they aren't interested in pellets :) Sometimes it takes a month or two for them to come around after that long of a trip. One time I purchased a doe from a lovely breeder and for whatever the reason, would not bounce back. It was sad to see such a beautiful doe go from plump,filled out , and beautiful to a bag of bones despite my efforts. I finally put her down because nothing was improving. I am getting a replacement at convention since it was just one of those things that occur, but what can you do? Giving a slice of sweet potato every day will help with appetite :)

Back