Best durn rabbit I ever ate.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoodat

Reaction score
For those of you who grow your own herbs here's a great recipe. I made it with a filleted rabbit but you can do it with the bones in also. The reason I filleted the rabbit was so I could make a rabbit stock with the bones and organ meat plus some onions.
Chop a sprig each of fresh rosemary, thyme and sage. Peel and bruise three garlic cloves. Oil a large frying pan or dutch oven with about 1/4 inch olive oil and heat over a medium to low flame. When the oil is hot drop in the herbs and garlic. Cook till the herbs just start to brown. Add rabbit to the hot herbed oil and sprinkle with kosher or sea salt. Brown one side and then turn it to brown the other side. Add 1/4 cup dry white wine or cooking sherry and wait till it almost stops bubbling to concentrate the flavor. Cover the rabbit pieces with chicken stock (in my case I used the rabbit stock)Turn flame down so it is just simmering and cover the pot. Cook for 20 minutes, then turn the rabbit and cook for another twenty minutes. If you want to use the juice for a sauce over the rabbit leave off the cover and simmer till it is reduced to the thickness you want. I used the juice over a bowl of brown rice and it complimented the rabbit very well. You could try a crusty bread instead if you prefer.

I have part of my garden as a permanant herb bed. I have to have my rosemary off to the side. It almost turns into a tree here in San Diego. It seems to do best if it's ignored.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:03 am __________<br /><br />

OneAcreFarm":11es6qjj said:
Yummo! Gonna have to try it!
What I like about this recipe is that the prep time is only a few minutes. After it's simmering you can go do something else while it cooks. So long as you don't boil it dry you can't go wrong. Cooking time is not critical.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:01 am __________<br /><br />I have a bush of Mexican oregano. I might try using it instead of sage next time.

Back