Best Breed Ever

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lopluvva

Reaction score
Hey everybun,
I'm trying to decide between raising either mini rex, mini lop, and/or lionhead. What is your advice, and is there a breed I'm really missing out on ;) ??

I breed both Mini Rex and Mini Lops, so I will tell you a little bit about their general personalities.

Both breeds are generally very family-friendly breeds, they're very sweet and super adorable.

The Mini Rex are very sweet, but they LOVE to explore. They are very curious. The average weight is about 4lbs, and I have not seen one person that hasn't fallen in love with their fur.

The Mini Lop are also very sweet, but they're a lot more docile than the Mini Rex. The average weight is about 6lbs.

But it all depends on the market in your area, and the personality you want.

( :secret: Oh and btw if you decide on Mini Rex I shall have 10 ready to go mid-August :D )

Bandits Bunny Farm":34ilryld said:
I breed both Mini Rex and Mini Lops, so I will tell you a little bit about their general personalities.

Both breeds are generally very family-friendly breeds, they're very sweet and super adorable.

The Mini Rex are very sweet, but they LOVE to explore. They are very curious. The average weight is about 4lbs, and I have not seen one person that hasn't fallen in love with their fur.

The Mini Lop are also very sweet, but they're a lot more docile than the Mini Rex. The average weight is about 6lbs.

But it all depends on the market in your area, and the personality you want.

( :secret: Oh and btw if you decide on Mini Rex I shall have 10 ready to go mid-August :D )

Thanks :) Those sweet personalities are part of, if not the main reason I love these breeds! As far as I know the mini rex is more popular at shows in this area, I don't know too much about the demand but soft fur and lop ears both do pretty well.
I have a few questions about Mini Lops - do they need lots of space in their cage? I'm prepared to build decent sized cages but I just need to know how much is recommended as I've heard they are pretty lazy ;) but I know they are bigger and have big-ish litters.
And thanks for the offer but I'm not sure if my mom will be willing to travel out of Canada for rabbits anytime soon haha

lopluvva":21tcuoa1 said:
And thanks for the offer but I'm not sure if my mom will be willing to travel out of Canada for rabbits anytime soon haha

Hahaha ya probably not lol
lopluvva":21tcuoa1 said:
I have a few questions about Mini Lops - do they need lots of space in their cage? I'm prepared to build decent sized cages but I just need to know how much is recommended as I've heard they are pretty lazy ;) but I know they are bigger and have big-ish litters.

They do need more room, we built 2 story hutches for all of my rabbits, because theyre very happy having lots of room. They are fairly lazy lol :D :lol: and they do have nice size litters. Both of my litters had 7 kits... several died, but several have lived to sell and have good personalities. But one of my Mini Rex does had a litter of 7. If you look at my website (the link is on my signature) go to the "Growing Litters" tab and you'll see my Lops that were born and raised in my rabbitry

I have Lionheads and a Minilop. While I love the mini rex they don't sell very well around me. Lionheads seem to sell quite well for me. My pick is Lionheads. I'd do mini rex though if you have a market for them.

Bandits Bunny Farm":3nzklbnb said:
They do need more room, we built 2 story hutches for all of my rabbits, because theyre very happy having lots of room. They are fairly lazy lol :D :lol: and they do have nice size litters. Both of my litters had 7 kits... several died, but several have lived to sell and have good personalities. But one of my Mini Rex does had a litter of 7. If you look at my website (the link is on my signature) go to the "Growing Litters" tab and you'll see my Lops that were born and raised in my rabbitry
I checked your website out and looked at the page; I'm officially obsessed with Mini Lops :lol: your MRs look nice too!
For cages would 24 x 30 work for bucks/juniors and 24 x 36 for does with litters? Or do they need to be bigger? We have a big run we used for our hens so I'll definitely let them out a lot but I would like them to be happy in their cages :)

My cages are 24 x 30 for my does and grow outs and 24 x 24 for my bucks. I've got Rex which are up to 10 1/2 pounds as a breed

I had 24 x 24 cages for my mini rexes and they barely had room. The 30 x 30 cage is perfect for both sexes, plus a grow out cage, because theyres WAY more room for them. Then we switched over to hutches

You will LOVE lionhead bunnies! I never have a problem selling them either.

They look like lil stuffed toys ~ I have this one (not the same bunny as in avatar) free roaming in the house and my sons friend thought it was a toy - until it moved - and he screamed - LOL.
She is completely potty boxed trained and will come to you will you call "bunnybun" ~ she knows you have a treat!Bunnybun 7.02.14 006.jpg

And yeah, I kept reading "best BREAD ever" too, lol ~~ guess we're just hungry :lol:

I've raised a few Mini Lops for the past couple of years. I'm now raising Hollands, but I still own two Minis. One of them is a buck who simply cannot be caged or held. Let him free-range, and he's one of the sweetest rabbits I have EVER owned.
My doe usually had about 7 babies, give or take. She's in a pretty large hutch right now, but would be okay with less space. She's about 6 lbs and the buck I used to have was about 5 1/2 lbs.

Back