Bell Ears/ PLEASE ANSWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alch0my

Reaction score
Does anybody know if a young standard rex (about 9 weeks old) has droopy ear tips if it will correct itself as he grows? I'm buying a female and male black otter rex but the male has bell ears where the tips are drooped down. The breeder says his ears will straighten as he grows. I'm planning on showing/breeding him, so I need to know if this is true? He assured me they will straighten and that other rabbits that had this problem in his heard their ears straightened. Please someone help! I posted a pic of the male rex so everyone can see what it looks like.

If it's hot and humid , they do tend to droop. I've seen it happen here in Georgia with even the best breeders. So you can chance it. You should take a look at the buck and doe.

I've seen it in different breeds. Some times it is genetic, some times it is the weather as Peach mentioned. If you're die hard set on showing, you may want to ask for a different prospect. But keep in mind that even if a youngster looks like a good prospect, doesn't guarantee any wins or high placements.

I've had it in my rabbits sometimes. They've always grown out of it, and I think it's always happened in hot weather.

I went in to edit the post for the image, but it wasn't there in the coding. I looked to see if AlchOmy had uploaded to the gallery, but apparently not. If I knew where the image was, I'd try to fix it. :(

I couldn't get the pic to upload! He text me a pic of the buck that had bell ears. I saved it to my phone and tried to get it to upload but for some reason it wouldn't. It said not enough pixels even though it was real close. The doe is about 8 -9 weeks to but her ears are normal. I wanted a buck with a good temperament and that I could show ...temperament means more to me though. He said he'd out grow it. He has been breeding standard rex for 12 years and 12th in the nation in national show points for the rex breed last year ..so I guess he knows what he's doing, and I could trust him.

Hi Alch0my,

I have had droopy ear tips in my young litters of Rex when the weather is hot, and all ears have eventually straightened.

Since the breeder has a dozen years under the belt and an excellent record, I would trust his judgement.

I am a "glass half full" personality, however, so always expect the best out of people. :roll:

You've gotten some good advice here, so I don't have anything to add.

I just wanted to welcome you to RT Alch0my!

I had a buck and a few kits with droopy ears last year, and when that awful heat went away, so did the droopy ears.

Ears are not generally a problem in Rex.

There are very few Rex breeders in the Tri state area, it's a pretty close knit group, and they are pretty trustworthy. The increase in the quality of my herd is significant since I brought in does from those lines in October.

Latest posts

Back