Belgian Hares

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Olimpia, thanks for sharing the pics! Sounds like they were happy to stretch their legs after their journey home. Its not hard to start collecting bucks ... the hares - but especially the boys - are so gregarious. I have 5 now! My two foundation bucks and then the best of their offspring ... plus a back-up to the offspring, just in case :lol: which is, of course, just an excuse for having them.

Although they say that the gene pool for the hares is fairly small, its funny how they do look quite different depending on what breeder they come from. Yours look distinctly different from mine ...

They are not reds (A_ B_ C_ D_ ee) but very bright/coppery chestnuts (A_ B_ C_ D_ E_)

I don't know if they are wideband or not (A_ B_ C_ D_ E_ ww) <br /><br /> __________ Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:01 pm __________ <br /><br /> I just did a check and it seems they are wideband :)

I say go ahead and good luck! Because they will yield money in the long run. They are a beautiful animal and being in Australia I don't have any access to them or I would be looking into breeding them. They were one of the original meat breeds. I recommend you read the book under the downloads section called "the 20th century guide to rabbits" or something along those lines.

When I was a youngster my folks raised angoras for profit and later we had New Zealands for our meat. When I grew up the first pet rabbit I had was a Belgian. It was a free gift and a full grown doe and an outside rabbit but it was very tame and my new wife often brought it indoors. It would stretch right out on the couch and fall asleep. It was housebroken immediately. A fine animal. I've had a lot of rabbits over the years, but that was my only Belgian and I think it was my favorite.
Jim

Latest posts

Back