Belgian Hare fryers

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC Belgians

Reaction score

I wanted to share my experience butchering my first Belgian Hares. The decision to butcher them was made with the greatest consideration. We concluded that if I want to keep breeding them and keep as many as I want to keep to help preserve this beautiful breed, then most of my offspring should be raised as fryers, because there are not enough responsible breeders and pet owners to buy my rabbits alive.

The two bucks we butchered were 12 weeks old and 5.4 lbs live weight. Carcass weight was 3 lbs. (+ 55% dress out). They had a beautiful finish with some fat. I could have butchered them earlier.

We were extremely please with this performance. Nobody expected this from a "skinny show rabbit". The reason why they did so well may be explained by the way I raise them. They are free run rabbits who eat a great deal of forage in my fenced garden during the day. They get some 15% pellet, hulled sunflower seeds, and some rolled oats, but literally live in hay when in their 10 x 10 pens. I also do not wean before 10 wks.

They are a labor intensive rabbit to keep, but seem to do extremely well in a free run, pasture raised situation. They are not cold hardy, however, and mine have heat lamps in their pens during cold or rainy day, which they can seek out at their own will.

because there are not enough responsible breeders and pet owners to buy my rabbits alive.
I agree with you there.

As to the pic,
Talk about "long in the loin", that is a lot of backstrap!

Is that rosemary and sage I see? :dinner:

The backstrap is my family's favorite part. It might be more properly called loin. It makes really good bunny nuggets.

They like the rest ground up and made into bunny burger, which is good anywhere chicken, turkey or pork burger would be used.

Really interesting- I always wondered how a breed like this would dress out. I used to keep in touch with a few other Belgian folks (Imagination Acres and Keep's Rabbitry) and I remember their struggles to keep them happy and healthy. I never knew about the cold sensitivity thing, but it sounds like you have a really great setup and plan for your group. Thanks for sharing this!

Love Belgian hare and I'd love to raise them but there are not very many breeders here for them. I like the long legged breeds, it's why I got Himi's - long legs and good personality.

Incredible. That is as good as I'd want and I'd buy any trio you had to offer if you were in Australia!

Back