Beginnings of the growout cage - 5 pix

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonladyleanne

Reaction score
The bottom is good 14 guage GAW from Klubertanz, 30" x 42". I wrapped it with 1" chickenwire that is 24" high, and realized it was easier to get in through the top than to make doors. The corners and middle of the long sides have coat hanger wire woven through to stiffen the sides, and attached to the floor of the cage and hung by them from the ceiling rafters. The roof/lid is just resting on top for now, but will be secured before the babies get big enough to jump that high. They seem to like it well enough.

In 2 weeks I will be adding Quartz's 5 babies (they're only 4 weeks old now), and Spot's remaining 2 babies, though I may keep the 3-legged one with her so he doesn't get bullied. Then everyone gets rebred on Dec 1!

Attachments

• Belle&SpotBabies01.jpg
    Belle&SpotBabies01.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 407
  • Belle&SpotBabies02.jpg
    Belle&SpotBabies02.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 407
  • Belle&SpotBabies03.jpg
    Belle&SpotBabies03.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 407
  • Belle&SpotBabies04.jpg
    Belle&SpotBabies04.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 407
  • Growout cage.jpg
    Growout cage.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 407
Is this outside? I would be worried about how well those walls would keep out predators, chicken wire wouldn't be my first choice for a cage.

The only thing that can get into the bunny run (chain link inside chain link, with dogs all around) is rats and squirrels, and difficult for them even, now that the hutch area is canvas wrapped for the cold. The adult hutches are also chicken wire sides, been out there since June, and the only attack was a rat grabbing babies through the 1/2" x 1" flooring. We rearranged the adult cages so no one was underneath, and thus no need for a urine drain (how the rats reached one cage, where the drain started only 6 inches below the floor), and this cage is suspended about 3 feet from a concrete floor. I think they are as safe as I can afford to make them. But thanks for the caution!

You will find that at this age, the kits will take to each other and not have any problems. However, by 8-12 weeks, you will need 2 cages so you can seperate the sexes. I also find that more floor space helps to keep the bucklings from having too many bunny blender episodes :D and an older one or two ... they won't tolerate dominance displays from younger bucklings ... sort of like having a babysitter in there.

AnnClaire":2o7waplj said:
You will find that at this age, the kits will take to each other and not have any problems. However, by 8-12 weeks, you will need 2 cages so you can seperate the sexes. I also find that more floor space helps to keep the bucklings from having too many bunny blender episodes :D and an older one or two ... they won't tolerate dominance displays from younger bucklings ... sort of like having a babysitter in there.

I do have one more piece of the good floor, same size, that I planned to make another growout cage, it's just a matter of do I have enough chicken wire and wire hangers, and also where to place it? My husband just got a job (yayyy), but we won't see pay from it for another week or 2, so I have to make do with what I have on hand. Wow, 8-12 weeks? I better start trying to determine what gender they are!

Growout cage really looks nice. And bunnies are growing nicely! Hoping your favorite is a doe. I divided my litter at 5 weeks when I weaned them. (Thanks OAF for that very informative thread and pics regarding sexing rabbits).

And congratulations to your husband on his new job!

Karen

Just watch for the "bunny blender" or bare patches on nape of neck, back, haunches or tufts of fur floating around the cage. As long as they are easy going together, you have time. Also, I have found that removing the most dominate of bucklings can extend the together-time of the younger bucklings sometimes. If these are simply meat rabbits, then the fighting won't really make that much difference for a couple of weeks ... just watch the feed intake to make sure one isn't being chased away from the feed.<br /><br />__________ Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 am __________<br /><br />Oh, and I forgot ... where did you get your architectural training??? That is NOT a proper Bunny Condo ... flip those boxes upside down so they can get on top, feel like they are "hiding" when inside, and watch them have a blast LOL

Wasn't meant to be a condo, it's far too flimsy for them to jump on it. It's to keep the hay inside the cage in a bundle so they can stay warm at night, it's been going down to 40F here at night. You may have noticed the 9Lives logo? I have 4 cats, so those boxes are here in abundance. They just started limited recycling here, with WAY too many "this not that" rules, so I packrat a lot of things that I know I can eventually repurpose. And the best thing is, if they get it nasty, I don't feel bad about "wasting" a "good" box! I just throw it in the compost pile.

:cheesysmile: I use three large cardboard cores from thread crochet taped together as a "jungle gym" for the babies, and then an old fashioned oats cannister for the larger bunnies ... we recycle, reuse, repurpose around here!

you sed some thing about a three leged rabbit.i left a three leged bunny with it's mom becouse i felt sorry for it. it eventauly bit the moms teet. she ended up with manistidis.i did get her well. but had cull her eight weeks later. she was a got momma.the littel rabbit died wen flys laid magets on it's butt at about ten weeks. long story short get rid of tree legs right away while it's still small the bigger it gets the harder time it has getting around.

I think it's fine. As long as the chicken wire is also tied up at the top rim and no kits can weigh it down and escape.

I am not 100% a rabbit "farmer". The 3 legged baby has been helped by its siblings, and despite its handicap, scoots after its mama and feeds on whatever she deems suitable. "Trike"s siblings have defended him/her against the evil pink monster (my hand), and even nibbled off his/her shriveled leg, as has Trike. "Heart" has value in my reality, and so Trike will be sold or kept as a pet.

Back