Bad Feed Once Again.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy

Reaction score
It's always 'nice' to find these little trinkets at the end of a 50# bag of feed.
It's my fault for being in such a rush that I didn't check the top of the bag
before I dumped it into my feed cart.

Towards the end of the feed, I noted small particles of a 'greenish' dust in
lower part of the feed tub. THEN, I started scooping up these little jewels.
Needless to say I was beyond any reasonable degree of anger and into the
realm of 'steam' coming from my ears.

Thus far, I've noted three bags out of a 14 bag order that have this GLOB
along the top of the fill. Not pretty and quite deadly, I'm sure. I quickly had
to dump all feeders 50+ so the stock wouldn't eat any more than it already
had. Not a happy camper.
Moldy%20feed%20May%2023%202015%20001_zpsvquslwdo.jpg

Moldy%20feed%20May%2023%202015%20004_zpsxv3or9pr.jpg

Moldy%20feed%20May%2023%202015%20008_zpso1yufkqe.jpg

I've already contacted my feed dealer to make arrangements for new
bags to be delivered and the contaminated ones to be picked up. Let
them burn up their gas.............not mine. :x

Grumpy

Oh my gosh... Ack!! :evil:

I'm paranoid about my feed... I don't go through it very quickly. I'm hoping that my hay is safe where I keep it. I keep watching and smelling for mold. Just hard to tell sometimes, unless it's obvious.

Oh no. I'm glad you caught it, and hope all the buns are ok.

grumpy":1h4777qv said:
Let them burn up their gas.............not mine.
Darn right. You know, this is what I really don't get, both from the last time you had feed problems and now this time. I would expect the feed dealer to be bending over backwards to make sure you don't have problems. You are a return customer, and a heavy volume customer, with all the buns you have. Why in the :rant: isn't the feed dealer doing more to make sure you're taken care of & happy? Hope this resolves & they do right by you soon.

Thanks Everyone,

Thus far (knock on wood) most of the herd hasn't shown any ill-effects.
I've got one Cal-Buck that appears to be a little under the weather, but I
think he'll come around.

Jason (the owner) and I believe this stuff came out of the factory like this.
The 1/2 ton-pallet of feed bags are tucked away in Jason's warehouse nice
and dry. With the number of youngsters I've got, that 14 bag
order ""might"" last me a week. More than likely 6 days and I'd need
more. When the rabbitry's in full-swing I'll feed out 55-60 bags per
month with no problems.

I sure don't need another disaster like I had two-years ago about this time.
That'd probably do me in cause I'm gettin' too old for this do-do.

Grumpy.

Yikes! Not again, Grumpy!

I have seen this before...I suspect the feed has gotten wet and then clumped together with a nice dash of mold to top it off.

I just lost four bags I thought were in a rain proof spot to mould but it was my stupidity as the bags were pristine and super fresh from the mill.

Yikes, Grumpy! :(

I am so glad you caught it before much of it had been eaten. I remember your heartbreaking incident a while back.

I lost one and almost lost another to bad feed a couple of years ago. It had just been unloaded that day at the feed store, and they keep their feed nice and dry. I fed my rabbits oats and bird seed until they got replacement feed in.

MOLD KILLS RABBITS!!

Everybody knows how susceptible rabbits are to mold spores.
We check everything continually...smell it, look at it...handle it.

Take one serving of pellets and gently DUMP them on the ground.
Then watch and see what occurs. It might take a day or two but keep
an eye on it whenever you pass by. About the third or fourth day,
that small pile of pellets will be one FUZZY pile of something weird.

Ya gotta ask the question, "Why, so fast?" Makes one wonder about the
spore-count in that small single serving of pellets. Were the spores' present
in the pellet, or were they floating around in the air?

Grumpy.

I am thinking that it may be in the processing plant..if they don't clean with extra hot water and dry the machine. ..I know just a little moisture will mold feed. I use misters in the summer so I have to pull the feed and dry any moisture from the feeders...I have had feed turn to mush...

Sometimes it will happen even in the feeder, if it's been really humid and the rabbit has reduced its eating.

It was so humid yesterday that I had to empty several feeders. The food left in them was soft from the humidity, and I couldn't take the chance with mold.

As for where the spores came from, they are definitely floating around in the air. The pellets... they probably contain a little. I doubt it can be avoided, without sterilizing the ingredients, producing the pellets, and packaging all in a clean room environment. Mold spores are everywhere.

I'm really hoping that keeping my feed and hay in a deep freeze, out of the elements will keep this from happening to me. I even test fitted the freezer to make sure no water/rain could get inside before placing their stuff inside. Sorry your having these issues. Best of luck.

wamplercathy":3jefksb1 said:
I'm really hoping that keeping my feed and hay in a deep freeze, out of the elements will keep this from happening to me.
I am hoping to get an old freezer to partially bury and do this.

Grumpy's and mine came straight from the distributor that way. It wasn't a storage issue on our part, but on theirs.

Miss M":2nvr5ked said:
wamplercathy":2nvr5ked said:
I'm really hoping that keeping my feed and hay in a deep freeze, out of the elements will keep this from happening to me.
I am hoping to get an old freezer to partially bury and do this.

Grumpy's and mine came straight from the distributor that way. It wasn't a storage issue on our part, but on theirs.

No doubt about it Miss M.

Cathy, here's an old thread that may interest you.

feed-storage-bin-construction-t19284.html

Grumpy.

Miss M":1fpsijht said:
I am hoping to get an old freezer to partially bury and do this. Grumpy's and mine came straight from the distributor that way. It wasn't a storage issue on our part, but on theirs.

I understand. We can't control what happens at the store. :x After working for the store that should not be shopped, I saw and reported several miss hand-lings of pet(and human) food. Everything from spilled chemicals on pet food bags to vinegar covered flour and sugar.

No Joke I was told to let it dry and then stock it. :x :evil: Corporate had a fit when informed. :twisted:

-- Tue May 26, 2015 8:25 pm --

grumpy":1fpsijht said:
Grumpy.

Thanks Grumpy. :p :lol: I love DIY. Just scored a rubbermaid cabinet for $20. New there like $200-$400 depending on their size.

grumpy":33mf9lfr said:

Grumpy.
Say... about that thread -- what's your mouse bait that is not toxic once the mouse eats it?

wamplercathy":33mf9lfr said:
Miss M":33mf9lfr said:
I am hoping to get an old freezer to partially bury and do this. Grumpy's and mine came straight from the distributor that way. It wasn't a storage issue on our part, but on theirs.

I understand. We can't control what happens at the store. :x After working for the store that should not be shopped, I saw and reported several miss hand-lings of pet(and human) food. Everything from spilled chemicals on pet food bags to vinegar covered flour and sugar.

No Joke I was told to let it dry and then stock it. :x :evil: Corporate had a fit when informed. :twisted:
:x :x :x Glad Corporate listened and didn't just shrug it off!!

Back