Ate a Hershey's Kiss

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albrst

Reaction score
So tonight Lego (1 1/2 year old Holland Lop) got a hold of a Hershey's kiss. He ate all the foil off of it and part of the chocolate. Do you think this will hurt him?

Kristy

I don't really know. Sugar can cause an imbalance, but knowing rabbits, that little bit of foil is unlikely to cause a problem,
Watch him closely for digestive upset.

Do you feed grass hay? If so, you might want to give him a bit extra.

It would probably be a problem for some rabbits. It depends on how robust the individual rabbit's digestive system is.

I'd think there's a good chance Lego will be okay, but definitely watch him over the next few days -- his eating, his drinking, his poops, etc. And yeah, some extra hay certainly wouldn't hurt!

Chocolate is as toxic to rabbits as dogs and other animals. Animals just don't metabolize it well enough. Amount that causes serious symptoms varies greatly in dogs so I'm not sure in rabbits. Usually animals will vomit and have diarrhea to try to get it out of their system but rabbits can't vomit and they have a long digestive tract which serious complications from diarrhea. If it isn't leaving the body fast enough organ failure can occur. Like I said though I don't know amounts. Some dogs start reacting to a piece the size of the end of your finger. Some dogs eat those giant hersheys kisses, the 1-2lb ones as big as your palm, and nothing happens. It helps that hersheys chocolate is a low cocoa milk chocolate. The darker the chocolate the worse it is. I would probably try to get as much fiber in as possible to keep things moving.

How did this turn out? My 2ish year old rescue minirex(?) Just got like,, half a hershey kiss

Latest posts

Back