Are you SURE you are vegan?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Noahbunny":xvi2y29a said:
Rabbits are vegan; they just don't brag about it.

I beg to differ, rabbits are primarily herbivores, not vegan. They can and do eat the placenta after kindling and will also "clean up" any dead kits in the nest. Not vegan...

OneAcreFarm":1z7jwq72 said:
I beg to differ, rabbits are primarily herbivores, not vegan. They can and do eat the placenta after kindling and will also "clean up" any dead kits in the nest. Not vegan...

As do cows-- came across one 'slurping' up the amniotic sac a couple years ago-- quite an interesting experience--She waited until she had dried off her dead calf....

Ain't life amazing!
We have so many options to think and do what we feel is right,
and what pleases us and the animals and or plants we are dealing with!
Now if we can just learn to allow others to eat what they choose
when they choose. The world would be a Horrible place if we all
had to do what we were told whenever we were told to do it!
It's so nice to be an American and have "Free Choice"!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

OneAcreFarm":2jgfxzyf said:
Noahbunny":2jgfxzyf said:

All animals clean up their own placentas.Placentas are parts that are no longer needed for the young but may impede their survival if left alone, so i guess animals "evolved" to deal with that so they may survive. However the term herbivore and vegetarian basically mean the same thing. The word Vegan was coined in 1944 from a contraction of the word vegetarian. And yes rabbit are technically vegans; they don't eat honey..... :)

Here is how I look at it....Herbivores are organisms that are anatomically and physiologically adapted to eat plant-based foods. This is a biological classification.

An herbivore is not the same as a vegetarian, a human who voluntarily undertakes a primarily herbivorous diet. Vegetarianism is a choice, made by a human, to eat primarily plant based products. Veganism is also a choice, made by a human, to not eat or otherwise utilize any kind of animal product or by-product.

I ate mostly vegetarian for eight years until, when I was pregnant with my second child, my mouth began to salivate at the thought of a fat turkey sandwich. I began doing some research and came to an understanding of the human body as a distinctly (and quite impressive!) omnivorous machine. I ended up cobbling together a diet that was about 1/3 meat, without being shy about animal-based fat, and 2/3 vegetables. When I stick to it (difficult, because I am a good baker and I love making myself and others cookies, breads, cakes, and pies), it works out really well for me.

But, I don't know, I'm not sure any of us are connected enough to our instincts or are surrounded by enough natural fodder that we could trust ourselves to eat the "natural" human diet. We're all making choices. We have generations of food culture getting between us and what our cells function best on. One could eat an omnivorous diet but choose to eat it mainly from a box, biology be darned. And I do think that at various points in life it probably made sense for our human ancestors to eat mostly plants, or mostly meat, given the availability of resources and whatever was going on with their particular systems in any given moment.

:lol: I'm reading back through the responses now, and I'm wondering how I got off on this tangent! Well, thanks for the thoughtful posts thusfar that led me think more about it!

OneAcreFarm":1mp1m42x said:
Noahbunny":1mp1m42x said:

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was being ironic & humorous. The idea of a rabbit bragging about its dietary choices, LOL. The word "rabbit" had been used in few if any of the previous posts & I wanted to correct that omission.

Noahbunny":2je3g1j4 said:
OneAcreFarm":2je3g1j4 said:
Noahbunny":2je3g1j4 said:

Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was being ironic & humorous. The idea of a rabbit bragging about its dietary choices, LOL. The word "rabbit" had been used in few if any of the previous posts & I wanted to correct that omission.

I thought it was funny Noah , and I understood your humour! Thought I would add a bit of my own irony and humour to that lol!! :)

Noahbunny":3il8ztf0 said:
OneAcreFarm":3il8ztf0 said:
Noahbunny":3il8ztf0 said:

Since I am not familiar with your sense of humor, it helps to use smileys... ;) That way we can tell when you are teasing and when you are being serious. It is not easy to read "tone" in typed words... :mrgreen:

Back