are garden leaves good for a bunny?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bug4H

Reaction score
are garden leaves good for rabbits?
we have: lilac tomato strwberry pepper pea leaves carrot broccoli

We've just started picking peas last week and feed the pods to the rabbits when I'm shelling peas to freeze. Also they really like the radish tops even though they don't look very appetizing--lots of tiny bug holes and sort of rough and prickly. Through the spring I fed some strawberry leaves when I had to pull wild plants out of my flower and herb gardens. And we've fed carrots--whole plant.
Our rabbits are used to lots of fresh green stuff since that's what they eat every day along with hay and a little grain. If yours aren't used to fresh food, then start slow.

I wouldn't feed tomato leafs and vines..I think the debate is still open on them though. If you look through the natural feeding section on the home page you can find lots of info and even pictures. I am still just scrounging to find sources of forage..I live in the high desert so it is not so easy, I go to friends gardens and trees because mine are just stuff like mesquite, iron wood, palo verde . the beans on some are ok, but most are just thorns and bark.. :shock:

The leaves of tomato and pepper plants are not good feed for bunnies. They (and eggplant) are members of the nightshade family. How toxic they may be is a matter for debate, but why feed your precious pet bun anything questionable.

I suggest you look at the "sticky" Safe Plants for Rabbits list. Most of the weeds and tree leaves mentioned there are common in your area. (They should be, since I wrote the list and live not that far from you.)
safe-plants-for-rabbits-list-t55.html

I'm pretty sure that your mom will be able to help you learn about these plants. They are excellent green feed - and the bunnies love them.

You're very welcome, Bug4H. :) I really like how you and your mom are learning what your rabbit needs before you get it. :goodjob:

Remember when you begin to give a rabbit greens, you must start with just a leaf or so and gradually increase the amounts over a few weeks. If an infant rabbit has greens from the beginning, it is able to digest them because at first it is just nibbling on solid food and is still depending mainly on its mother's milk. But when you buy a young rabbit that has been weaned onto rabbit pellets, it is not able to handle a sudden feast of greens and may become very sick and die. So go v-e-r-y slowly and all will be well.

Apparently rose leaves are good if you can get them :lol: I tried getting Coco to eat mint, but apparently it was too strong for her and she would give me this "Wut? I thought you liked me; why ya giving me that?" face and run away, sooooo...yeah.
Strawberry and carrot are good. Coco LOVED carrots. I rubbed carrot on my dad's toe and she tired to eat his toe. :lol:

funnies50":yazd3uk1 said:
Apparently rose leaves are good if you can get them :lol: :

Rabbit crack!

I am planting more and more roses for my *mother's* enjoyment....just for her....AM SO!! it just so happens that it makes for a win-win for me--I win with momma and I win with the rabbits. :mrgreen:

dignity_laugh_by_roblnhood.gif

Awz, your poor mom!!
_dignity_laugh__by_kimraifan.gif

Bug, if you enjoy photography, you can also take photos of any plants that you and your mom can't identify.

Everyone will help, but MaggieJ is a real whiz at plant ID, and as she says you should have pretty much the same plants in your area as she does. :)

HOWsMom":aw5gcdcp said:
Bug4H is a pretty decent little photographer ;)

I am not at all surprised. :D

My kids all love taking photos- in fact my eldest son one upped me on my Canon Rebel EOS and bought an even better camera. Brat. :angry:

we have this lilac tree in our backyard, i am wondering if it"s leafs are good for bunnys?

Latest posts

Back