Anyone heard of a breed "designed" to only live 4-5 months?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But where would she get the term broiler then? No one refers to rabbits as broilers. The person selling them was mixed up with chicken info in that case. Same deal.

The tools for this thread drift were right in the original post...however if anyone wants to see a bigger thread drift then go check out the "Rabbit Myths" thread... its a normal thing and human nature.. any conversation people have in person or on the net can and usually "drifts"

Oops. That's probably my fault. I do that alot. The other day at work I started off about how my arms were sore and ended up conversating about my ride in an airplane lol! Everything inbetween linked up properly I just drift and drift way off topic sometimes.. :oops:

MaggieJ":37dxafeu said:
Sounds to me like someone was talking about meat chickens not rabbits... or at least borrowed the idea and terminology.

That was my thought, too.

I haven't heard of a short life-spanned rabbit, but I can't say as I'm an expert in anything rabbit. I sometimes wonder about the real life span of livestock type animals if they are not sent to slaughter. I have a 12yo "pet" boer goat. Around here, goats get eaten very young or finally when they are not able to breed anymore. I have yet to find anyone who can tell me the average lifespan of a meat goat that never gets used for meat. (sorry, don't want to be OT in a different direction, just find it funny that the term "life span" can be used so loosely in regards to livestock.) We've had pet rabbits before, I couldn't even tell you the average lifespan of those because they died after traumatic stressors (one after a wildfire and one after a move) instead of a "natural" death. It was definitely longer than 5 months though :)

Some people will say ANYTHING to get a sale :shock:

But if she is happy now to do the deed as a mercy killing, well, at least it gets her use to the job.

I wonder if she will ever keep one long enough to see it live longer than six months or if she will just keep going back to the seller for more rabbits.

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder if I could keep a straight face long enough to give that selling tactic a try :lol:

I do know that some of the pet rabbits I have butchered have had VERY small and flabby hearts and have had a few ex pets in the rabbit barn at 4 H just drop dead but they are all MUCH older than six months.

Latest posts

Back