Anyone else White washing their rabbitry/barn/coops?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
So I got some lime to help with the flies and found out people make white wash out of it to paint farm buildings. It's antibacterial and it also brightens up the space. Found a dairy farm that does this yearly to be allowed to milk and sell each year.

Got the lime, added it to a bucket and then water. It's different than people said it would be, but the need to constantly mix is true. I've done the door and most of the bottom of the walls in the coop. It's already so much brighter and the one light in there now really does light it up. =D

I'll get a pic later today. Until then, enjoy my freshly shaven naked sheep pic. They were shorn last night.
484155_427211967312317_156402311_n.jpg

Nekkid Southdowns! SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Can't wait to see your whitewashing, btw. :)

Wow, they are like meatloafs on legs!

I never knew whitewash was lime and water! Recipe? I might paint it on the timbers in the bunnybarn.

I've used it on the out building, but not on the inside yet. Perhaps I'll give it a try.

Mix in a five gallon paint bucket;
3 large coffee cans of hydrated lime (about 12 cups)
1 pound or 1 small coffee can of salt (about 4 cups)
2 gallons of water

But I skipped the salt, some sites just say water and lime. Others say add water until the lime has the consistency of paint.
I've found that it gets very weird while you are brushing it on if it's more paint-like than watery. It doesn't go on easily, kinda like mud, where one stroke goes on, but won't spread. It also dries/gets even more goopy and dehydrated as you put it on...freaky stuff, really.
So I added some more water, so it's more soup-like than paint and it went on easier, but then dripped more. Then again, more went on the walls=lasts longer.

Pics in a sec. Was out with the pup and didn't get around to what I was supposed to be doing, washing a rabbit's ears out. Opps.

Ok, not the best pics didn't adjust the cam to the light and the bottom left wall hasn't dried yet. Door dry from yesterday.
Slowly getting everything coated. Took the metal screen off the fan, it was seriously inhibiting the air movement.
Outside of the coop will be getting a fresh coat of yellow paint soon, house is being painted and the coop must match!
196055_427292290637618_98743178_n.jpg

306980_427292240637623_1974315278_n.jpg

the salt is probably added as a preservative,,,salt is a wonderful wood preservative ,old wooden ocean boats last over a hundred years if they keep going in the ocean with the salt water washing over them. Its tied to the dock and just getting fresh water from the rain on the topsides that rot them away.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 pm __________<br /><br />I would add the salt, it may also react some how with the lime.

ChickiesnBunnies":3hxg6n4a said:
I'll get a pic later today. Until then, enjoy my freshly shaven naked sheep pic. They were shorn last night.
484155_427211967312317_156402311_n.jpg

The brown one is totally owning the nekkid look!!

-HRanchito":1o6douai said:
The brown one is totally owning the nekkid look!!

I agree-- must be some teenager!!!

So, Chickiesnbunnies-- have you read Tom Sawyer? You could make money by whitewashing!!!

i remember dad getting the barns white washed. He'd clean out all the pens he could first, move stock outside as much as possible, and then the sprayers would come. Big truck, tons of noise, but then the barn would be SO nice and clean afterwards. every year, in the spring.

Some years they'd do a good job and other years he'd be less than impressed...what I remember is the brightness afterwards.

Lol. Yea, I'm finding that the flies find another spot to congregate and then I run off to do that spot over and over. But they seem to be moving further away.

I wonder if they just don't like white? Anyone here have a house that is white? :hmm:

MamaSheepdog":2xiytb4k said:
I wonder if they just don't like white? Anyone here have a house that is white? :hmm:

My whole house is white, and the inside of the bunnybarn. Doesn't seem to deter the flies.

Attachments

• da fly.gif
    da fly.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 177
Dang. I was asking because of you! :) Well, if your house is white anyway, maybe you should try the whitewash where those pesky flies are congregating.

MamaSheepdog":15ws7lzm said:
Dang. I was asking because of you! :) Well, if your house is white anyway, maybe you should try the whitewash where those pesky flies are congregating.

Good idea.
It's due for painting on that side, dogs sloshed mud everywhere. I am also thinking of putting DE in the red trim that goes on the carport post.

Back