anyone else love cast iron?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarayTala

Reaction score
My aunt got me a logde pan for christmas last year. I finally got around to using it and I adore it. Just got three pans at a flea market for 10 bucks! One is a 8 inch BSR, one seems to be a 6 inch Favorite, and one a lodge with a grill bottom. I'm cleaning and reseasoning them and cant wait to use them. I hope to switch to all cast iron soon. This is my new obsession. I love their beauty and the thought and love and care that goes into every pan. Anyone else involved in this love affair with cast iron?

Heck ya! I love my cast iron frying pan that my Oma (grandma) passed down to me. I would love to get more quality peices. I love how tangible and lasting it feels. It's beautiful to cook with!
My brother does black smithing as a hobby and has forged beautiful twisted iron handles and tools. It's nice to hold something you know you could pass to your kids.

Our annual "winter is here" ritual is hubby cooking chili in a big cast iron pot on the woodstove. Soon!

We have small and large Dutch ovens, medium and large skillets, and a griddle. We also have these little footed pots that look like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-cast-ir ... 1180813190 (except ours aren't rusty and don't have grody stuff hanging off of the handle! :roll: ) that we use as bowls when we have French onion soup.

PSFAngoras":ntm8q3b7 said:
You have to try quiche in a cast iron. OMG.

That's a new one on me!

We make pineapple upside-down cake in a large skillet. It is my absolute favorite cake- and I don't like cake! :dinner:

Never used them but I would love to get some. The problem is I have a flat top stove, not sure if you can use can use them on that type of stove. what I really need is a good gas stove, so I can get some cast iron pans!

JessicaR":14abe0kd said:
Never used them but I would love to get some. The problem is I have a flat top stove, not sure if you can use can use them on that type of stove. what I really need is a good gas stove, so I can get some cast iron pans!

Yep, you can... :) I use large cast iron skillet on my flat top stove every single day..... ;)

I love the way they develop a non stick finish over the years. Better than teflon and you don't have to worry about scratching it. I have a cast iron wok that is far superior to the sheet iron ones. It takes a bit longer to get it up to the right temperature but after that it does a great job. None of my cast iron cookware ever sees soap. If it needs to be scrubbed out I use coarse kosher salt and a paper towel to scour it.

Wheels":1qw29qzr said:
I've got one skillet that I have no idea how old it is - no maker's mark that I can find. Dug out of a house that had burned and left to rot. That thing makes the best eggs and cornbread!

Your last sentence reminded me of going through my grandmother's things with my dad when she had passed. She was his mom, and he was trying to justify keeping EVERYthing, but my mom had her kitchen the way she liked, and I had a very small house, so . . .

Dad had his head in the cupboards and pulls out this cast iron skillet, saying "this pan made the BEST cornbread", and then he looked at me and I said, "no, dad, MOM B made the best cornbread . . . I don't know how to use that, and it would just sit in my cupboard . . . why don't you give it to someone who CAN use it, you know she hated waste".
We both had a good cry at that point, right there in her kitchen. Silly, I guess, but I think that's when my dad was able to come to terms with her loss.

I did keep the iron griddle though, I knew how to use that! And I still have it. Since retirement, I have acquired in cast iron a medium dutch oven, a large stew kettle, and a tripod for cooking over an open fire. I will be using them in a few weeks at a medieval event - I can hardly wait!
:pancake:

Best way to make corn bread in a cast iron skillet....add oil to cover the bottom and pre heat it. Then add your batter to the pre heated oil and put back in to bake. The edges are crispy and the whole thing is delicious....I make Coconut Bread this way now, instead of Cornbread since we are Paleo.

Quiche?? :shock: Really? In cast iron skillet?? :shock: Recipe please. :p
We love ours and use them everyday. When we go to a yard sale or flea markets that is always something we always look at. We flip them all over and get the american made ones. The older the better! :)

I need the cornbread and quiche recipes now! I haven't tried baking in cast iron yet, but I love cooking in it so much. I made a beef and potato hash with scrambled eggs for breakfast this morning. It never ceases to amaze me how easy they are to clean when properly seasoned. I am now scouring flea markets and thrift stores looking for a dutch oven and a biscuit pan. I hope to switch entirely to cast iron soon.

I love them. I sear steaks in them then the skillet and steak goes straight in the oven. I cook on the grill as well but when I have to cook a steak indoors that is my method. The well made cast iron pieces are so nice. My dad gave me a large skillet and a flat iron. I've picked up 2 smaller skillets at yard sales also. Love to find some pots or kettles but haven't found any cheap yet.

Latest posts

Back