Anyone care to critique a bunny?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatzNetherlands

Reaction score
Of course I understand that you can only tell so much by a photo, but maybe some of you with more experience can tell me what your thoughts are on this doe, and any obvious faults, or just things you like or don't about what you see. I promise not to get upset about what anyone says! LOL :D

This is Clover
Black Silver Marten
8 Months Old
Ears: 1 3/4"
Weight: 2lbs, 3oz (and she is pregnant right now - due on the 22nd)

Clover.jpg

Check her footpads just to make sure that they have the correct pigment. To help you out get the standard of perfection read it and especially familiarize yourself with the rabbits that you raise coloring. Chris Zemney told us to post a picture of a good netherland dwarf such as Coin Nelson bunnies or Rock n Roll Dwarfs or cut out pictures for the DwarfDigest (I am assuming you are an ARBA member as well as an ANDRC member if not I would become one!) put these photos up in you barn so that you know what good examples of your breed are. Another thing if you attend ARBA shows feel the bodies of other dwarfs and look at their overall appearence, and judge them not litterally become an ARBA judge (although that would be nice) just look at them and ask yourself if that would be something that would improve your line or not. Also ask knowledgeable breeders they will help you that is the only way I got better is by doing all these things. I came to a point where I thought that I would never acheive high honors with my rabbits and thought they where worthless and a few weeks later I attended a show and won Reserve so dont get discouraged dwarfs are tough breeds to raise so hats off to all of us dwarf breeders.

I am a ARBA member but still have to send off the check for ANDRC. I keep forgetting to do it. I have been raising them for a couple years but am just now getting to where I think I even have close to show worthy. The first show I went to the judges were incredibly rude and discouraging, so I really haven't had the confidence to show any more yet. I have been working hard on getting my lines better, and just working on quality in general. I am only successful so far with two of the colors I am breeding(as far as getting closer to show quality) - I have four total that I want to do, but the other two are still in the beginning phases but I am excited to get them going too....

Well good I am glad to hear that I just quit with my chocolate lines and am at the beginning stages for my otters. That is awful that those judges had to be that way towards you your rabbit are awsome way better that what I have accomplished you should try to go to another show next year some really good judges are Chris Zemney and Alan Ormond if they are judging they definetly give you a wealth of information and tell you what they are looking for. The chocolate and blue lines are really hard to work with as well as the other ones you work with so good job I gave up after a few months with the dilutes and chocolates. Good luck hopefully i might see you at a rabbit show (we travel far we just went to Kansas for ARBA Convention)and if you need help just email me hopefully I will be able to help you :D :) ;)

I think this is a fairly decent doe. I don't necessarily breed dwarfs, but I've been hanging around them some and watching the ND BOB Convention winner breeder's rabbits for a while because I'd like to show them on the side. (Hopefully picking up a pair from him in a few days :) )

From this picture I feel she doesn't have a lot of depth to her body and it seems like she's undercut. Might be the angle. I just feel like as I look at the slope of her back, it cuts inwards and just doesn't fill out the table.

Her ears look to have the right placement but it looks like they could be shorter. I think the reason they look on the larger side can also be because her head isn't really bold. Her bone looks a bit fine.

I'm not sure how it goes with ND, but my Mini Lops don't come into their head probably until 9-12 months. She may fill in some.

If I were breeding her, I'd find a buck that complements her weaknesses. Just remember, you can't make something out of nothing. Make sure to have the best quality buck you can.

Best tip: Line breeding. Turning your gene pool from a variety of possibilities, to something predictable. Knowing your bloodlines helps tremendously.

Also, remember the Netherland Dwarf competition is pretty stiff probably no matter where you go. Don't be discouraged and listen carefully to judges ;)

Thanks... She is actually bred now to her sire right now. Her ears are actually small, less than 2", but she is pretty tiny. I think once her head finishes coming in it might proportion better.

bunei0426, thanks so much. I am planning on being at the Snowflake show in Couer d' Alene in January. I am not sure what other shows I am going to be able to make it to this next year, but I am planning on showing... Thank you so much for your tips. I don't remember what judge it was at the first show I had my bunny at, but he picked him up, looked at him for half a second, put him down and said he was a sorry excuse for a Netherland Dwarf.... I understand he might not have been perfect, but I think that was a bit extreme...

Here is a picture of that same rabbit:

OliverPose.jpg

Yeah that is a great little dwarf! I had something similar happen except they didn't even take my doe out of her coop, so I am in the same boat. I wish I could come to Cour D' Alene but due to weather and all that my traveling buddy is a bit weary she says we'll see so I am crossing my fingers if not I might make the trip alone so we'll see. That is how i've gotten my best bunnies is breeding them back to parents so good job it will only get better from there!

Thanks so much.... She may not be being shown - depends on how fast she grows her fur back LOL She started pulling fur like crazy yesterday

It is so sad you had a horrible experience with shows. I have never seen a judge act so rude before, and not all my entered rabbits have been amazing. I would not enter under them again, and let the people over that show know what happened. Don't be scared to enter a show because of anyone. We all get bad comments sometimes and get placed last. It's no big deal.

As for your girl, I love how rounded her topline is. She's young so she'll fill out more. She could be a little weak in the hindq. Nice short arm, nice bone. Ears look thick but look to fold at the top. She'll probably have a doe head. I really like your girl.

Back