anybody else?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Alaska Satain. They do have the Vienna markings as their mother is at least 1/2 Dutch. Momma also has two-tone eyes 1/2 blue, 1/2 brown, she Often throws me these frosted blacks or Whites w/blue eyes. Of course, madam Screech also tossed me my Steel Buck. She is always bred to my Tri-colored 1/8 Flemish. The colors they give have never disappointed in the color guessing game lottery. They only disappointment this time around was size of litter (5 , 1 passed) she has always given me 7 live out of 10 before. She never seems to breed when my other girls do so I am never able to foster her kits out.
Like @RabbitsOfTheCreek noted, vienna marks come from the Vienna gene <v>, which is completely different from the Dutch gene <du>, although they can both produce dutch-like markings.

However the Dutch gene will not produce blue-eyed whites; so, if your doe produces blue-eyed whites, she's a Vienna marked rabbit, for sure carrying one copy of the vienna gene. (But that's not to insist that your doe is not part Dutch as well - people who are not breeding to the standard cross all kinds of colors.)

Most Dutch breeders avoid adding vienna since it messes with pattern and eye color. See the following thread for a more detailed discussion of vienna and dutch issues:
https://rabbittalk.com/threads/vienna-vs-dutch.16471/

Latest posts

Back