Angoras troubled birthers?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyTree

Reaction score
Hi, everybody. I went and met my first angora today, a sweet 6-month REW doe who I'm thinking of buying as a wooler and maybe a breeder. She's got a full pedigree with lots of nice colors, and both parents are from ARBA rabbitries. I held her for a while, and she seemed very calm and sweet. I don't know enough about rabbits to be able to speak much to her type, but I do know angora wool *off* the bunny, and hers was very pretty. She had a nice feel to her, not boney, not flabby. She was bright-eyed and clean-eared. No snot or wet feet. I couldn't get a great look at her teeth, but the breeder told me she hadn't noticed anything amiss about them. The only thing that struck me as odd was that the breeder told me that her mother had two litters that didn't survive before this one's litter. The first one she delivered two weeks early, and the second one, she ate. This little doe was one of five, three of whom survived.

Is that a red flag? Are angoras tricky breeders? Does this just happen sometimes with rabbits? Is there a genetic component to how well does birth or carry litters?

Thanks for any help.

Not sure this is breed specific. Lots of first timers lose their litters through lack of mothering instincts. Most does will only eat the kits if they are dead... cleaning up the nest. Still, it may be that the particular doe that gave birth to this one has problems. Raising only 3 of 5 in a third litter is not wonderful. There could be extenuating circumstances... Why not ask for more details about what happened to the other two.

Hopefully some of our Angora breeders will chime in on any breeding problems associated with the Angora breeds. My comments pertain to rabbits in general.

I did not get her. It was weird and uncomfortable. I called and arranged to meet the breeder again, and we did, but what I had first thought was dirt was actually dried snot on the doe's nose. When I asked about it--just asked--the breeder got very defensive and told me it was just a ragweed allergy. I asked how she knew it wasn't snuffles, reiterating my inexperience with rabbits, and she nearly threw the rabbit back in the carrier and started raging about how she dragged the rabbit out in the heat today because I wanted to see it and that she turned another buyer down because of my interest.

It was a bad scene. But on the upside, I did spend a couple of hours researching and learning about English Angoras, and now have another choice of breeds I think I'd like.

That was very bad behavior on her part. If she wanted to sell you one of her rabbits she should be eager to make sure you know all you can about it so you can take good care of it and possibly become a future customer or fellow breeder. Getting defensive is a red flag. I doubt she's telling the truth about turning down another buyer. That would just be plain foolish unless you told her you were definitely buying the rabbit. She's probably trying to make you feel guilty when she's the one who should be ashamed of herself.

Thanks, y'all. It was a "gut" call, and I find those so hard. I often let myself get swept along in the momentum of the moment, but luckily I had many of your voices in my ears urging me to respectfully walk away. Thanks for filling these boards with such good information. :)

Latest posts

Back