american chinchilla?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seagullplayer

Reaction score
Found a breeder close to me (about an hour). I have been considering this breed, but have never had any. I have heard they make great mothers are easy to handle and make good meat rabbits?

Sounds like he has great stock.

If you have them what's the low down?

I have read about them, I am looking to hear from people that have them.

seagullplayer":26wpxpcq said:
Found a breeder close to me (about an hour). I have been considering this breed, but have never had any. I have heard they make great mothers are easy to handle and make good meat rabbits?

Sounds like he has great stock.

If you have them what's the low down?

I have read about them, I am looking to hear from people that have them.

The Am Chins are a lovely rabbit. Most are real cuddle bunnies and easy to handle. That is a good thing when one considers that they are supposed to run about a pound Heavier than the NZs. So far our First timers have all raised their kits and seem to be doting mommas. ( wish the Pals would be so good !)

One thing to watch is weight. At this point in tims a lot of Am Chins have a bit of difficulty making senior weight. My personal opinion is they take longer to hit their weight... where NZ and Pals might hit Sr weight around 10 months... the Chins seem to take longer. Not all...but there are quite a few having issues with weight.

We have also noticed that the does can be quite 'adament' when wanting to be bred ! Once bred they do settle back down. ( until the next time..... :? )

I hope that You do get some. They are a neat breed to have. :bunnyhop:

AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

Picked up a buck and a Doe. First rabbits I have ever bought with a Pedigree!
We are pretty excited, not show quality, but very nice breeding stock we think.
Going to let her settle in a bit, then put her to work.

I love my AmChin buck, he's an absolute sweetheart. We had a breeding pair several years ago, but they died of old age before producing any purebred babies (they didn't like eachother much).

Who was the breeder? My buck came out of Kentucky, I had had him transported up here. Indiana is a GREAT place to raise AmChins, so many breeders. There's only TWO in Michigan, another guy and me. Six rabbits total, at last count.

seagullplayer":rf5t0ueb said:
AC1.jpg

AC2.jpg

Picked up a buck and a Doe. First rabbits I have ever bought with a Pedigree!
We are pretty excited, not show quality, but very nice breeding stock we think.
Going to let her settle in a bit, then put her to work.

NICE rabbits !!! ( not show quality ??? they look pretty dern good in my eyes...)

Most of the AmChins that DO make senior weight, are out of Young's lines-- descended from Tom Bergers-- and from oh gosh, she is the secretary of the Amchin club---- tom Berger- a breeder judge, is no longer 'in' AmChins told me so himself.

I got them from Bennie Wade in Oolitic, Indiana.
Great guy, nice setup.
I think he is VP of the breeders club?

These rabbits made weight.

They both have some winners in their pedigree. We are happy to have them on the farm.

Lovely! I agree with RR- very nice rabbits! I wonder what the show quality ones look like???

My Am Chin doe got mean and defensive after she had her kits. She was fine before, wonder if she will still be iffy once they are out of the nest and hopping about...

I think this rabbit looks nicer then my buck, to be honest, and he's a pretty good one.

Bennie Wade has lovely AmChins. I wanted to buy some does from him, this may have been one that I initially was supposed to buy lol!

Back