Alfafa hay, timothy hay, alfafa pellets, timothy hay pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albrst

Reaction score
Okay, I haven't posted in a week or so. Our holland lop is about 3 1/2 months old now and doing good. He's finally eating a good amount of pellets. I think he has hit "puberty" because now he marks everywhere. We plan to have him neutered when old enough.

But my questions....I read so much different stuff.

What he is eating right now are the Purena brand pellets that are from alfafa. Then he gets unlimited timothy hay. Something I just read said we are doing it backwards and should be giving him alfafa hay and timothy pellets. If he's getting both does it matter? Why would it matter? Do I have to change it when he gets older? The only other thing he gets is a little quaker oats mixed in with his pellets just because he loves loves loves them. And occasionally some of those in our hands.

So is what we are feeding him okay or should we be doing something differently? FYI He poops and pees just fine.

Kristy

I don't think it matters, lol.

I always tell people, let your rabbit tell you the story. :) Feel his body over...if he's in excellent condition, not too fat and not too thin, then whatever you are doing is working so keep doing it! :D If he's too fat, decrease pellet rations or restrict feeding times more. If he's too thin, more pellets or maybe some calf mana or BOSS to beef him up. :) Just remember...we humans like to over-complicate everything and over-think things...different people have different husbandry and what works for one may not work for another but that doesn't stop some people from loudly proclaiming that everyone who does things differently is "doin it rong"...BUT!!!!! You rabbit CANNOT lie to you. :)

Many pet rabbit sites recommend limiting alfalfa, saying it can make rabbits too fat. I think you are feeding him just fine as long as his weight is normal. Alfalfa-based pellet for his general nutrition and timothy hay for his gastric health and nibbling entertainment.

Latest posts

Back