Air freshner plug in warning

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
Just a warning to anyone that has the plug in air fresheners, ie; glade, fabreeze ect... throw them away!!!! Hubs had a house fire Saturday night 2 houses down from our house. Cause of fire was a fabreeze plug in air freshener. our friend, and neighbor, who want home at the time, lost her house, possessions, and the family dog, a sweet old rottie :( hubs found the dog pressed up against the kitchen door. RIP Casey :cry:

This is not the first fire hubs has been to that has started from them plug in fresheners. We threw ours away several years ago because of this. According to the state fire marshal these type fires are common. So I just thought I would put the warning out here in case anyone uses them. I highly recommend either getting rid of them or at the very least unplug them when you aren't home or are sleeping.

Air Fresheners (especially anything Febreeze) gives me a serious migraine so now worries there.

I agree, an open window is all we need. I'll pass this information along though.

Curious, was this the heat up kind or the spray every half hour kind? My grandmother loves her heat up ones, but I try to tell her.

The best air freshener is two open windows and a cross breeze.

Not when the town has grown so much in the wrong direction that half of it is downwind of the sewage treatment plant. :p: I seriously don't know how the hotel that pretty much backs up to it gets enough business.

How horrible! I feel so sorry for your friend and neighbor. What an awful thing to happen, and a devastating way to lose a faithful old dog. :cry:

I agree with Maggie, though. You wont ever find any product like that in my house. I prefer natural old fashioned incense... and plain unscented candles freshen the air naturally, too.

Poor pup! I have heard how dangerous those plug ins can be...thanks for the reminder.
Hubby and my mom get headaches with the oil plugs. My mom also gets hives with the oil plugs, scented sheets etc.
We were given a table top Scentsy warmer, which works with scented wax. Both hubby and my mom have had no issues with it.

jessie15273":h1bubnn1 said:
Curious, was this the heat up kind or the spray every half hour kind? My grandmother loves her heat up ones, but I try to tell her.
It was the kind you plug in and it heats the oil

I've heard about it before and they are really only a danger if put together wrong so the oil isn't being heated or left to run empty. Then there is no oil to heat and evaporate so the whole thing overheats instead. Most people let them run empty for a few days (sometimes weeks) before refilling them and that's where the problem lies.

Someone put one in the hallway of our condo building and doesn't maintain it. If we take it off a new one shows up even if it's been months since they bothered with it so we just went to filling it ourselves. It makes them complain less when we don't get to cage cleaning on time or take the trash out often enough (trash closet shares a thin wall with the hallway).

I am sure if left running dry that can be a hazard, but this one still had oil left. So something went wrong with it.

Good to know. I only use these in a pinch because inscense isnt always strong enough and any spray scent ive tried so far makes me sick. Like when my roommate left some meat in the microwave to defrost and forgot it a week. I opened up the doot and the smell was horrid, so i grabbed a plug in to help for a few hours until it faded. I'll certainly make sure not to leave them plugged in when not home.

I tend to have issues with most fragrances, but I can use those ceramic oil burners.

I have two of those plug in oil fresheners, but haven't used them in years, they are lying under the dining room table, where I must have left them when I unplugged them around that time.

Both my youngest son and I are highly allergic to almost all forms of air fresheners so I did a search on the dangers of them.

WOW!

Some pretty potent nastiness in most of them!

Makes going out harder and harder now they are showing up in more and more places. We went to an hotel not too long ago and they piped it through the air conditioner system! :evil:

The fire danger is new to me though so I will pass the word along. So sad about the dog.

Latest posts

Back