Agouti Silver Fox?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
Simple. Is this an agouti Silver Fox and if not what's the color? Sorry, I'm still quite terrible at telling, unless it's black or white, then I've got a 50/50 chance. By the way, sorry for the TERRIBLE quality of the picture. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20140707_083159.jpg
    IMG_20140707_083159.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 482
Simple. Is this an agouti Silver Fox and if not what's the color? Sorry, I'm still quite terrible at telling, unless it's black or white, then I've got a 50/50 chance.

:lol:

Yep, steel. It's genetic agouti with at least one copy of the gene that causes steel extending the black part of the coat, and leaving the agouti showing only on the tips.

Is that from purebred or pedigreed stock, or is it a mutt?

Thanks for the answers! It's from a purebred btw. I had two different litters from 2 different does. This one had the gold tipped steel and a dark blue SF in there. The other had a gorgeous light blue and ....medium...looking blue. We kept the 2 blues from that litter.

Re: Agouti Silver Fox?

Post Number:#4 Postby mystang89 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:22 pm
Thanks for the answers! It's from a purebred btw. I had two different litters from 2 different does. This one had the gold tipped steel and a dark blue SF in there. The other had a gorgeous light blue and ....medium...looking blue. We kept the 2 blues from that litter.

I'm sorry mystang this is nothing against your buns!

:soap:
You see everyone, this is why I was so upset when I discovered my pedigreed SF were genetic super steels!! :p :p ! They may have looked black, but I was sure I would find these in my own nestboxes with time, and didn't really feel like gambling with anyone else's rabbits either.

I really think steels should only ever be bred to agouti colors, and never never never into selfs.

I know it's not a very big deal when someone is just raising for meat, but it's hard to get any consistency with stuff like this in the lines!

It's genetically impossible for an agouti color to come from breeding two self blacks (or blues) together. One of the rabbits that produced that kit isn't a self. It's a genetic gold tipped steel that is pretending to be self. It will have inevitably fathered(or mothered) more sneaky agouti steels, because agouti is dominant to self, meaning about 50% of the kits produced by that rabbit are very likely genetically agouti steels.

Zass":2058rgpu said:

I know it's not a very big deal when someone is just raising for meat, but it's hard to get any consistency with stuff like this in the lines!

It's genetically impossible for an agouti color to come from breeding two self blacks (or blues) together. One of the rabbits that produced that kit isn't a self. It's a genetic gold tipped steel that is pretending to be self. It will have inevitably fathered(or mothered) more sneaky agouti steels, because agouti is dominant to self, meaning about 50% of the kits produced by that rabbit are very likely genetically agouti steels.

I bet they taste good though :D :chef: :stirpot2: :dinner: :D

mystang89":2mpti3ed said:
Zass":2mpti3ed said:

I bet they taste good though :D :chef: :stirpot2: :dinner: :D

Oh, yeah, delicious, and they might even grow better too. I had some excellent growth. Well in the end SF are a MEAT rabbit, and growth is super important. Now that the steel is in the lines, it's not going anywhere.

Latest posts

Back