A WEEK EARLY

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I BOUGHT 2 DOE AND A BUCK 1 DOE WAS 5 MONTHES THE OTHER WAS 1 YEAR AND ALREADY BRED. THE PERSON I BOUGHT THE RABBITS FROM GAVE ME A DATE THAT WE SHOULD SEE BABIES. ON 4/16 I NOTICED HER PULLING HAIR I THOUGHT IT WAS ODD BUT PUT THE BOX IN ANYWAY (SHE WASNT SUPPOSED TO HAVE THEM UNTIL 4/24. WELL I CAME HOME FOR LUNCH AND FOUND 2 IN THE NEST AND 1 DEAD ON THE CAGE FLOOR. I GOT A HOLD OF THE PERSON WHO SOLD ME THE RABBITS WHO HAS BEEN ABSOLUTLEY AWESOME TO DEAL WITH AND SHE MENTIONED THAT SHE WAS WITH A BUCK 6 DAYS BEFORE SHE BRED HER FOR ME BUT THAT SHE DIDNT THINK IT TOOK WHEN SHE REINTRODUCED THE BUCK FOR ME THE DOE COOPERATED PERFECTLY SO SHE FIGURED NOW SHE WAS PREGO. SHE THAT BROUGHT THE BUCK BACK AFTER A FEW DAYS ANDTHE DOE WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM CONFIRMING A PREGO DOE.. MY QUESTION IS WHAT CAN HAPPEN NOW? I HAVE 2 OTHER LITTERS NINE BORN 4/16 SHOULD I PUT THE 2 FROM HER WITH THEM? AGAIN NO FAULT OF THE PERSON WHOI BOUGHT THEM FROM SHE IS HELPING ANSWER ANY QUES I HAVE...

My thoughts exactly. Why would you remove them at all? Keep an eye on them, checking at least twice daily, and make sure they are fed. Otherwise you should be good to go.

Well, if there are only two, they are going to have trouble staying warm enough. You could put the two in with the litter born two days ago... you could even bring the whole nest to her once a day for a bit (and then space her feedings out more) to help relieve any milk engorgement she might experience. Or you could take one or more of the two-day-old kits from the other litter and add it to the new litter of two. Usually, three kits are needed to ensure everybunny stays warm enough.

If you don't foster the two over to the other litter or foster at least one over to them, you will probably need to bring them inside and provide extra heat for them -- a hot water bottle, or a heating pad on low placed partially under about half of the nest. Many modern heating pads turn off automatically, though.

The "test breeding" the lady did is not reliable. Many does will accept a buck even if they are already pregnant. And many first breedings that seem unsuccessful end with kits. It sounds like the first breeding took, the doe accepted the buck 6 days later anyway, but she refused him the next time.

It is possible, by the way, that the doe is not finished kindling. If you foster her kits to another doe, be sure to leave the empty nest box in with her for a while longer.

By the way, if you need to type in all capital letters due to a vision disorder, we certainly understand. If not, please do use regular mixed text (upper- and lower-case). All caps is more difficult to read for most people, and is commonly considered equal to shouting. It is also frequently seen as rude, though I'm certainly not implying that you were being rude in your post, as you weren't at all. If you do need to use all caps, just please put a note to that effect in your signature, so other members will understand that you are not shouting. We will adapt. :) Thanks!!

Sorry about the all caps I'm not much of a computer person. There is no reason they can not stay with her I just did not know if she has more next week how that will all play out. I checked on them this morning no new ones and they are doing fine they are in a enclosure in cages so its not that cold in there. <br /><br /> -- Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:55 am -- <br /><br /> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkxYoZ4I5R8 This is her after having the first 3 looks like there could be more..

She probably won't have more next week.....that would be pretty unlikely. I have had a stuck one and one of mine kindled 2, then stuck one, then three more the next day. So it is possible she will have more, but my guess is that it would be sooner than later IF that happens. Everyone has given good advice for if it's cold or there may be other reasons, but if it was me I would keep them warm inside the house and take them to mom twice a day for feedings, and allow her to raise them.

The double pregnancy thing is almost entirely a myth. Rabbits use both horns of their uterus for a normal pregnancy. Theoretically double pregnancies are possible, but only about as likely as it occurring during a human pregnancy. While certainly possible, it is not exactly likely to occur. There is not anywhere near enough risk for people to remain celibate over. ;)
Sometimes, there is a delay in birthing, especially after an interruption or stuck kit that can lead to kits being born several days after others. The longer that goes on, the less likely the later kits will be born alive. :(
If you are going to foster any kits, to-or-from the litter, it's best to try to match up sizes as closely as possible. Larger kits can out compete tiny newborns. The easiest way to go would probably be to add the smallest kit or two from the other litter.

Pine Ridge Mini Farm":1d6f4a19 said:
Sorry about the all caps I'm not much of a computer person.
No problem at all. :)

Pine Ridge Mini Farm":1d6f4a19 said:
This is her after having the first 3 looks like there could be more..
Yes, I do believe I see babies moving around in there. :)

Make sure she still has a nest box, and I'd probably give her a fruit-flavored Tums now and then (I wouldn't use mint flavored, because I'm not sure how much mint it takes to dry up a doe's milk). The calcium can help head off some kindling problems.

The others have pretty much said everything else. :)

:clover:

Back