A Rabbit That I Sold

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graceful Meadows

Reaction score
Well, I sold a 4-H girl a pair of silver fox about a month ago and hadn't heard anything back until now. The buck, Ralph the Rabbit, seems to not be eating (for enough time to have lost muscle mass) and has a red-ish tint to his coat. Does this sound like a digestive issue that can be taken care of by home remedies like canned pumpkin, or is this something more serious? Any suggestions would be nice!

A reddish tint to his coat could be caused by being near time to moult, being caged in a way that he can contact urine (caged next to another male?) or from just lying in the sun. It's probably not caused by the digestive issue.

Unless....he has wool block from swallowing too much moulted hair? Either way, if he's not eating, measures to prevent gi stasis should begin ASAP. It doesn't matter what the cause, if his digestive tract stops...he's a gonner.
A dehydrated rabbit can appear to become extremely thin in a rapid amount of time. The spine will become very easy to feel almost overnight.

She should observe his stool. Is it diahrea, or is it smaller than normal stool? Has he stopped passing stool?

I suggest unflavored pedialyte along with the mashed pumpkin. Also old fashioned oatmeal and good hay to replace pellets for a while. It's been my experience that rabbits will often eat greens when they refuse other foods, so she might consider offering some very mild ones like parsley or cilantro. Grocery store fennel has also gone a long way towards getting rabbits to eat willingly for me.
If she can find and ID wild plants, offering fresh rabbit safe greens is a good way to keep the bowels moving without force feeding. Although, if he's been refusing to eat and drink to the point of dehydration, she will likely have to force feed.

Zass has got it, please stress that this is an EMERGENCY. She cannot wait, she must act now, if she wants to have a chance at saving him.

Canned pumpkin, papaya, pineapple (especially fresh)... regular kitchen oatmeal, maybe with a little molasses to coat, Pedialyte or Gatorade or even tea... she's got to get him to eat and drink, even if she has to syringe it into his mouth.

Latest posts

Back