A different perspective on keeping rabbits in hutches.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidpop

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I was looking for the facebook site where people make posters about how having rabbits in cages is not cruel- so I was google searching that and then found this....
People living in rabbit hutch like cages and The cages look dirtier than a rabbit hutch, very sad. It kind of puts things in perspective doesn't it? While animal rights activists vilify breeders for raising rabbits in hutches there are people who live in cages in China- why don't the animal rights activists go help them, I guess they only care about animals.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tches.html

8( That is horrifying.
Makes me very grateful for what we have here.

I've seen pictures like this before. :( It makes me so sad that they have to live like that... wish I had a crap load of money that never ran out so I could help the world. lol I wish it was that easy. xD

bright side; LOTS of spots to hang things.

It is sad but what I find even more sad are the people who live in this "land of opportunity" and yet are still unfortunate enough not to have ANY place to stay. They stay out in the cold frigid weather, have nothing to hang, no place to call their own. They live on peoples charity, what's left of that which seems to be rapidly drying up. What misfortune must they have fun into. And yet, I believe some of these people who live in their poverty are happier than some of the richest people who live in their luxury.

mystang89":1k0pbpkz said:
bright side; LOTS of spots to hang things.

It is sad but what I find even more sad are the people who live in this "land of opportunity" and yet are still unfortunate enough not to have ANY place to stay. They stay out in the cold frigid weather, have nothing to hang, no place to call their own. They live on peoples charity, what's left of that which seems to be rapidly drying up. What misfortune must they have fun into. And yet, I believe some of these people who live in their poverty are happier than some of the richest people who live in their luxury.

Yeah, I know people who have plenty of money and are just plain miserable- depressed and suicidal, feel trapped in their jobs or marriages and are miserable. Wonder what would happen if they swapped places with the cage dwelling people just a week or so.

A cage! If only there was such affordable housing available back when I was a teenager trying to get by on minimum wage.

I wouldn't have had to spend a year homeless, moving between friends houses and occasionally sleeping on the streets.

Animal rights activists don't care about people in china. They are too busy caring about every tiny thing their neighbors do. The people in china hardly care about the people in china...

Very enlightening view of life as we know it...... and makes me grateful to be able to invest a considerable amount of my earnings into maintaining a decent rabbitry, livestock, and a perpetually messy home..... I can not save the people in China, but I can make my rabbits comfortable in clean cages with fresh food and water :)

Zass":3p2iqbot said:
A cage! If only there was such affordable housing available back when I was a teenager trying to get by on minimum wage.

I wouldn't have had to spend a year homeless, moving between friends houses and occasionally sleeping on the streets.

Yikes Zass, at least you had friends but that sounds horrible! Minimum wage in New Zealand is slightly higher than in the United States. No one who works should earn so little that they can't afford shelter.

squidpop":20aaxjdw said:
Zass":20aaxjdw said:

Yikes Zass, at least you had friends but that sounds horrible! Minimum wage in New Zealand is slightly higher than in the United States. No one who works should earn so little that they can't afford shelter.

car payments($200-min + high monthly insurance cost for being young) $350-$600 per month in rent or more + utilities, water, gas (often around $200/ month for apts in winter), electricity, gas for getting to work and the cost of food. Add credit card bills and collage tuition payments for those who had them, even for the many who never graduated but still had to pay for the loans...

Nah, $5.50 an hour just wasn't cutting it.

It was the norm for several people to share a place, but landlords REALLY hated renting places to co-habiting teen/early 20's aged kids.(can't say I blame them, either) Err, yeah, so it wasn't even always possible to find affordable housing.

Actually a lot of people I graduated with a decade ago STILL live with their parents, and work at factories to pay of their collage debts because even those who graduated collage often found(and still find) it hard to find a job in whatever field they chose.

My life is good now, and I wasn't whining. I'm a homeowner and my almost paid off mortgage is my only debt. My husband makes good wages.
We waited for the housing market to hit freefall and bought nice little home with 0 credit history.
See, as youth we were bright enough to realize that we couldn't afford to sink ourselves in debt.

I just wanted to point out that things aren't so pretty for people in the US who lack education, can't find a job even if they are educated, or even teens without parental support(among others). It's not just China where people struggle.

I'm glad to hear you are doing well now. I was really poor when I was at University, my mom was a single mom- but I'm probably older than you and went to school in the 80's when you could still get grants to go to college. I lived in a really dangerous part of town and shared a bedroom, but my rent was only $100 including utilities per month and I didn't have to have a car- grocery store was 2 blocks away and I could buy groceries for - no lie - $12 per week. I ate a lot of chicken thighs, kale and mustard greens beans and rice because it was practically free at the grocery store. I remember I lived on a $4000 grant and made it last a whole year- but I know you couldn't do that now. Most of the other college kids in my classes had cars and used their parents visa card to buy stuff but me and my room mates where really poor in comparison- but still we were able to afford shelter and food.

The US Army gave me the best education in the form of overseas assignments to Ethiopia, Japan and Turkey. When you actually live in a country for a year or more you get a very different perspective than one would get from just a vacation tour and yes, it does make one appreciate life in the good ol USA where even our homeless live better than most people in Africa or Asia.

coyotejoe":1xym97ic said:
The US Army gave me the best education in the form of overseas assignments to Ethiopia, Japan and Turkey. When you actually live in a country for a year or more you get a very different perspective than one would get from just a vacation tour and yes, it does make one appreciate life in the good ol USA where even our homeless live better than most people in Africa or Asia.

Well said.

The problem with being poor or homeless in the US is mostly shame. Having to ask someone to be able to use their shower really sucks, but yeah, you will pretty much always find someone with a shower to use.

In a some countries the poor don't have clean water to drink, no less shower in.

My point was just that a cage isn't really so bad compared to no housing at all, and my domestic rabbits agree, they happily return to their warm straw stuffed hutches for shelter and food, and wild cottontails can be seen sheltering under those same hutches looking for dropped hay and pellets.

(actually, I've told my husband to harvest those wild buns if he gets a chance, because I don't want them spreading diseases to my domestic rabbits.)

I don't really think either one has a better or worse fate, but I do think those people who claim all rabbits are miserable in cages or hutches either haven't really closely observed very many rabbits, or are only seeing what they want to.

squidpop":32fp8by7 said:
I was looking for the facebook site where people make posters about how having rabbits in cages is not cruel- so I was google searching that and then found this....
People living in rabbit hutch like cages and The cages look dirtier than a rabbit hutch, very sad. It kind of puts things in perspective doesn't it? While animal rights activists vilify breeders for raising rabbits in hutches there are people who live in cages in China- why don't the animal rights activists go help them, I guess they only care about animals.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tches.html

That is Agenda 21. They've got places like that in New York, about the size of a small storage unit. In fact, when I first saw a video of it, I thought, man they're allowing them to live in a storage facility? That's illegal in VA. I used to manage a storage facility. In some of the larger cities like Richmond, the homeless will wait until after business hours and break in, climb up over the walls and find a storage room that is empty and move in.

One fella, has the storage facility completely furnished with cardboard box wardrobes, box bookshelves, etc. He even somehow managed to put a small mattress in there.

Boarding houses used to be the norm in tourist areas such as the Eastern Shore, VA and Orlando FL. That's where the homeless, day labor and low income workers lived. I've lived in them. They take a house, divide the rooms in half or quarters, depending on what they can get by with. Then they charge you rent by the week. Some have a common kitchen. Some allow a hot plate if it's a nice place they also have a shared laundry area.

They charge high rent. Most don't allow you to cook, but there's always a Chinese restaurant takeout place in the neighborhood or something similar and that's what you live off of. If you can manage to save enough money to get out of there, good. Most don't.

In fact, the stress of living like that takes it's toll and then you aren't capable of doing anything. A lot of people turn to drink because they feel hopeless.

Some end up there because of drinking, divorce or other problems.

No, what is happening in Hong Kong isn't new at all. It's just probably the first time most people have seen something like that.

Agenda 21, hopes to get most people living like that. Small footprint. That's part of what the Tiny House movement is about.

That's also part of why they are trying like crazy to do horrible things to homesteaders. Take their property because they live off-grid, kill their pigs, fine them to death, kill their sheep, dump out their milk. Make it illegal to harvest rain in rain barrels, rip up gardens from people's yards, ban raising rabbits, small birds, chickens...whatever...Anything to disrupt self-sufficiency that they can't track/and or control.

And if we don't stand up...you all just got a glimpse of your future.

Similar to what they did in Cuba when they had the fuel crisis there. People that refused to farm their land, and grow enough for the community, lost it and it was given to somebody else. Didn't matter if they owned it. It was taken away and given to somebody that would feed everybody else.

Back