7 in the freezer, 1 in the crockpot!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DevonW":3rtf8lz9 said:
As for the pellet gun I have a friend who attempted to use it, and well the pellet ricocheted off the back of the rabbits head and nearly took out his wifes eye.

Yup, that happened to a friend of mine. Turns out the pellet gun had a maximum fps of 300 and it was the type that had to be pumped over and over. That's why I recommend at least 500 fps, the pellet has to be fast enough to embed itself into the rabbit.(sorry, that does sound awful but it is painless for the little guy). I believe the best pellet guns for this job are the ones that you crank once, the pressure is much more accurate IMHO.

If I knew somebody who did the broomstick method and could show me, I'd learn it as a back up, for sure. But it is not the sort of thing I'm comfortable doing just from reading about it.

Marian

well NOW I need to decide how to cook up this next fella. I can see why you segment them into packages of smaller size. BUT here we go again with a whole carcass.

Since the first really was VERY tender, I'm thinking maybe a light fry on each side, some lemon pepper (or basil?) and then covering in onions and letting it simmer for an hour. What do you think? or...other ideas for me? we eat almost any cuisine, although at the moment I'm trying to not do heavy creme type things.

Your idea sounds delicious, Ann. Go for it!

Sometimes I cut up a ton of veggies in a roasting pan with the rabbit pieces on top, dust with black pepper and/or allspice and/or cloves, sprinkle on herbs and add about 1 cup of diluted apple juice. If I'm in the mood for bacon, I wrap the pieces of rabbit in a slice each. If not, I tent foil over the rabbit to keep the moisture in. Roast at about 325* F for about 1 - 1/2 hours. When the veggies are tender, the rabbit will be done. I throw some potatoes in for baking at the same time... nice and easy.

A gal named Donna on the meatrabbit yahoo page posted a great video on broomsticking and hers is the method I use. I originally used rebar to club, but find broomsticking is far more humane and certain in the result.
It also creates total separation making head removal easier...
I am ok with guns, but much prefer not to have to use them on small animals; pigs of course are different.

Oh and yes--always shoot into soft ground===not asphalt!

Back