3 strikes for a buck?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaMandy

Reaction score
Ok, so this seems odd to me...I have an adorable little broken Seal Marten Netherland doe named Silvia. I bred her to my broken Smoke Pearl buck Russia, (she has way too much color and he barely has the 10% so it actually worked out well) and she had 4 healthy babies, and took great care of them even though it was her first litter! I have now twice bred her to Captain America, a blue himi that is Russia's son. He's genetically a better match for her since I would get no seals from that pairing, and no himis which is good since they could be broken himis. He's also a fair bit smaller than Russia which is also good because she's quite small as well. Both litters from Captain America have been stillborn though! Four the first time, and then five today. What is the deal? Just a fluke? Should I give Captain America another try or re-breed her to Russia? :shrug:

Most likely a fluke.... however, the blame might not be on your buck. I would try breeding him to a couple of other does (if you have access to it) and see how those litters do in comparison.
Also try a different buck to the same doe and see if you have the same problem.

If the doe goes on to do the same thing with the different buck, you'll know the blame is most likely on her. If the buck has any further still born litters; then you can blame him. If neither have any issues try breeding back to each other and see what the outcome is.

Also revisit all aspects of your care just to make sure you are not over looking or missing anything.

sometimes genetics between two rabbits simply don't play out.

I have had rabbits that if I breed two together I get weak sickly kits, bred either to a different doe/buck and the kits are strong and vigourous. If weak kits happen across lines from either a buck or a doe, then I remove the offender from my herd.

Thanks everyone! Those ideas all make a lot of sense. I gave him a 3rd try. We'll see what happens in a month. I don't currently have another doe to breed to him. They are all either bred, have newborns, aren't old enough or are not the right color. I have a Smoke Pearl doe that would be a half sister of his, that I gave to my friend. As soon as she's old enough we'll breed her to Captain America and that will help determine the issue here! I'm really hoping it's just a fluke. He's a really tiny guy and he's 7 months old now so he's a senior! I can't believe how little he has stayed, and he had a nice head too. It will be an interesting experiment. :)

Latest posts

Back