2nd generation of my broken NZ plan

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinea

Reaction score
So, here they are at two weeks old (75% NZ, 25% Lionhead):

image.php

Two broken blacks, a black, two torts, a false Charlie broken tri, and a broken tri. I am thinking to keep the broken tri and maybe one of the blacks, depending on sexes.

Mom was a tort NZ, dad a broken black NZ/lionhead cross.

They are very cute :p

I am impressed with my meat breed x pet breed (AmChin x MLop) and surprisingly the size has been decent as well and I actually prefer my 8 pound mutt does versus my 12 pounders

I don't know if you have colour goals other than broken but I am pretty sure the tri colours are actually broken torts :shrug:

Dood":2t9lv4xe said:
They are very cute :p

I am impressed with my meat breed x pet breed (AmChin x MLop) and surprisingly the size has been decent as well and I actually prefer my 8 pound mutt does versus my 12 pounders

I don't know if you have colour goals other than broken but I am pretty sure the tri colours are actually broken torts :shrug:

Broken torts, huh. Thanks. I am afraid the "colors for dummies" thread isn't dumbed down enough for me. All I know is that the one I am thinking of keeping is adorable. Let me get a better picture and see if your opinion changes.

image.php

What do you think?

Marinea":1zibrfge said:
I am afraid the "colors for dummies" thread isn't dumbed down enough for me.

:lol: I'm still working on it!! :D

Marinea":1zibrfge said:
All I know is that the one I am thinking of keeping is adorable. Let me get a better picture and see if your opinion changes.

image.php

What do you think?

I don't think it looks like a tort. Now granted, I'm new to this, but don't torts have the shading around the points?

That looks like a broken tri color to me.

Edit: On the other hand... I see that I'm disagreeing with Dood on color, which is not something I'm qualified to do. I'm just confused as to why this kit would be a tort?

The shading on the ears does suggest tort to me, but I'm with you, Syberchick. I really need to take some time and get my learning cap on, and get up to speed on the genetics. It's not like I have a B.S. in marine biology or anything. It's like a mental block or something, not sure why.

And English Spot, my friend, I am a believer in early conditioning :)

Genetically it's impossible

The tort mother is "ee" and the black father must be "Ee" since he fathered torts :shrug:

If he was "Eej" then he could only father blacks and harlequinized torts

You can have torted tri's (broken Harequin tort = aa __ __ __ ej_ Enen) that have less district spots that blend in more with their orange areas, however this kits ears are too evenly coloured and lack spots

Also, a tri (broken harlequin = Aa __ __ __ ej_ Enen) is agouti, which this kit is not, and tris have distinct black spots and not brindling due to the effect of the broken gene with Japanese harlequin

Oh, I believe you, Dood. Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

(I promise I am not an idiot. I really do have a B.S. degree (back in the stone age), but all that lovely stuff you wrote is like dolphin noises to me. I truly think I have some kind of mental "no, you're not gonna learn that" block for the genetics. I see "ee" and I think of Cummings.) I may make it a project to learn the genetics this year.

Latest posts

Back