2 Year Old Doe that has never had a litter

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase a pedigreed French Angora doe. She is beautiful, don't you think? Rizzo.jpg

She is two years old and never been breed. She's been kept as a pet. What are the chances of her successfully breeding/kindling at this point? This would not be a make or break on purchasing her but was just wondering if she still has potential as a breeder if I manage to find a French Angora buck.

She's so pretty! I'd try it in hopes she'd give you some bunnies to breed later.

She is lovely!

You can certainly try to breed her. She may have too much internal fat and wont take, but if she does, she should have no problem with the kindling.

I'd say if she has good fiber quality and you intend to harvest it, go ahead and take a chance on her. The worst that can happen is she wont breed, but you will gain experience in caring for a wool breed and decide if they are right for you. :)

I bred a doe for the first time when she was probably 5 years old. She had two kits and was the greatest mother. I had her since she was a baby, so I knew she had never had a litter before.

MamaSheepdog":apn9fldf said:
She is lovely!

You can certainly try to breed her. She may have too much internal fat and wont take, but if she does, she should have no problem with the kindling.

I'd say if she has good fiber quality and you intend to harvest it, go ahead and take a chance on her. The worst that can happen is she wont breed, but you will gain experience in caring for a wool breed and decide if they are right for you. :)

I was hoping you'd say that! :D

That is how I was figuring...at the least I'd have the chance to see how I liked caring for a wool breed and then know whether I want to expand that side of the herd.

If she does have too much internal fat, can that be reduced by putting her in a diet of fewer pellets and more greens? or some other dietary changes?)

(And, on a side note: I really do look to your posts for wisdom. You are a very wise lady and I appreciate your willingness to share that with others. I know your life is busy so the time you spend here answering our posts is precious and I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating those efforts.)

Marsha was almost 4 years old when she had her first litter--

I sometimes wonder, if by waiting until the does are fully mature, they are not a bit more settled and calmer about the first litters...

Frecs":3l43zxgx said:
And, on a side note: I really do look to your posts for wisdom. You are a very wise lady and I appreciate your willingness to share that with others. I know your life is busy so the time you spend here answering our posts is precious and I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating those efforts.

Awww, shucks! :oops:

Thank you. :) What a wonderful post to read to start my day! :p

The truth is, I suffer from an acute case of RabbitTalkosis, complicated by a secondary infection of RamblingRabbitosis, so I can't help but post incessantly! :roll:

On a side note, I feel my head swelling. :shock: I hope I can still fit into my cowboy hat... :cowboy:...better be sparing with the compliments or I'll be taking donations for a larger hat! :twisted:

Frecs, you can help bring the GORGEOUS Satin doe into condition by including some exercise time ... whether in a pen to run about in, or by installing a board on edge in her cage so she has to hop up and over to get from the feed to the water :D

AnnClaire":6ixi7av2 said:
Frecs, you can help bring the GORGEOUS Satin doe into condition by including some exercise time ... whether in a pen to run about in, or by installing a board on edge in her cage so she has to hop up and over to get from the feed to the water :D

She is gorgeous, isn't she! :D She's a French not a Satin, though. That's a great idea about exercise. :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

:D I really couldn't get "past" the darling butterfly on her nose :bouncy:

:groooan: OH, PAH-LEASE, are you seriously telling me you DID NOT notice the most attractive, well-placed, FULL BUTTERFLY on her absolutely lovely face??? Quick, someone take Frecs temperature :temperature: to see if she is OK :cheesysmile:

AnnClaire":3hulsxl6 said:
:groooan: OH, PAH-LEASE, are you seriously telling me you DID NOT notice the most attractive, well-placed, FULL BUTTERFLY on her absolutely lovely face??? Quick, someone take Frecs temperature :temperature: to see if she is OK :cheesysmile:

Guilty. Guilty as charged. :cry: My only excuse is that I was blinded by her gorgeous coat! :bunnyhop:

I've never had any success with over a year, but at a good price and a good looking bun, I sure would try. If I had to do it again, I certainly would. It would be worth it just for the fiber, and you never know.

Take the doe, take the doe, take the doe ... whoops, did I say that :rotfl:

Latest posts

Back