2 Week Old Kits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zee

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
The baby buns just turned 2 weeks today. Do I take the nest box out or can I just turn it on its side inside the cage so they can go in and out as they please. I'm raising Florida Whites, and they seem too small to just take the box out completely. I'm new to this, so, advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

You can (and should) take the nestbox out as soon as the eyes are open. They might be small in size - but once the eyes are open they can do all the same things as a full grown rabbit: eat solid food, drink water, explore, socialize, etc.

In my experience, the sooner the nestbox is removed, the faster the kits hit butcher weight. While in the nestbox, their nutrient intake is limited to the once or twice daily nursings from mom. Out of the nestbox, they still nurse from mom, but they also eat solid food which results in far more calories than nursing alone and gets them growing fast.

There's no need to lay it on its side. The kits will hover together and stay warm with or without a nestbox.

Hope this helps.

I leave my nest boxes in until the kits are moved to the growout pen at 4-5 weeks. I put food in their nest box as soon as they are mobile enough to get to the water bowl.

Many others put the box on its side so kits can get in and out easier but still have a sheltered area.

I take my nestboxes right out at two weeks, and while small the babies seem to do well. The only thing I do after that is add a brick so they can easily get to the pellets, hay and water valves.

When I remove the nest, I replace it with a cat litter jug with bedding in it so the kits have a sheltered area off of the wire. If you don't have creep feeders, it is a good place to give the kits their oats or other supplements so the doe can't eat it.

We have had discussions here on the possible causes of weaning enteritis, and chilling seems to be a factor.

I have never had a case here, but do not know if that is luck or my management practices.

IMG_0396.JPG

I don't take out nor flip the nest until the kits tell me they want to be exploring more often than sleeping. Mine are 2.5wks, I added a brick, but most only sleep. There is one kit who always escapes to get more milk and I've started ploping them all out on the wire to get a little exercise. I eventually put each on the brick and they sniff their way over the nest wall and back to sleeping. Maybe at 3.5wks these guys will be real mobile, but they much prefer a cozy corner to stay away from the cold wire and cold air. They will pile on each other and/or mom for weeks on end, even my 10wk kits pile or sleep smooshed against mom on cold days.

Fourteen days is far too early to remove the box. You can change out the bedding for the sake of cleanliness. The weather plays too many tricks this time of the year.

It's not that hard for them to catch a chill. Then, you've got problems.

If you choose to remove the box....at least give them a partial box that will provide some insulation for those youngsters at the bottom of the pile. Make sure to put some bedding in it.

grumpy.

I do not remove my next boxes until I feel they are ready. Once I see them spending more time not in their box, then the box goes. Two weeks imo is to young but that's just me. Usually the nest box goes four weeks if I can remember. I never really time it. Right now we are still in a cold spell so I feel it's to dangerous for them to be without their box. I cannot afford for this litter to die.

i do one of two things.

tip the box on the side
OR
remove the box and replace with a half box with no front.

i used to wait until 3-4 weeks old, heard of a gal who did removed box as soon as eyes opened and how it made for healthier happier faster growing kits so I thought I'd try it.

And goodness me...it does indeed make a difference.

It gets the lazy kits going and mobile and keeps the hopalongs with a safe place to snuggle when they are done exploring.

Okay, great advice guys. I've got some thinking to do. Thank you.<br /><br />__________ Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:20 am __________<br /><br />MammaSheepDog, I like your idea about putting in the cat liter container, but, being that its hot here (78 degrees today), I'm concerned that the container will get even hotter inside?

so then use a box :) or put good ventilation holes in it Not like you can't put lots of holes in the sides.

but I'd be inclined then to give them a cardboard box or even make a half nestbox and turn it upside.

I flip the box on it's side once I see babies hopping out, typically around 2 weeks. It allows adventurers to get back into the warmth but also lets them run around a bit. I then gradually remove nesting material until they're 4 weeks old when the entire box comes out.

I have an almost 2 week old litter here right now though that has been driving me nuts. They started popping out at night when they were 8 days. It's still around 40 here, so if only one jumped out I was finding a frozen baby. I saved 2 of them from almost dying and since then I've been getting up at 5:00AM to check babies. Sigh. The funny thing is, I have one from that litter fostered to another mom. That baby is the same way. The difference is that mom stands guard and pushes it back in lol. The rest of foster mom's are contented, and not flying everywhere. I'm starting to call this litter my pop tarts. Each litter is different obviously :)

Back