12day old kits ..HELP.. need to nurse

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reids Rabbits

Reaction score
So I have these 12-13day old kits. Our doe got an infection and now her milk is dried up, or at least I think it has. The kits look on the thin side last day or two. I flipped the doe over and tried feeding the hungry kits, but they didn't seem to get anything. I have been giving kits kitchen oats and I have even tried supplementing with goats milk/etc, but I can seem to get the kits to drink (they are eating oats). Tips? what else can I feed them? What works best for getting them to drink?

If you want to help the kits nurse place the doe in a cage with large enough spaces on the bottom for her nipples to be exposed and have someone hold her down. As they hold her down you hold the baby rabbits upside down below her and below the cage put their mouth on a nipple to nurse. If that nipple doesn't have milk they will look for another one. I recommend people to trying that with a healthy doe and kit so you can see what it looks like when they actually nurse. The kits move quickly to find a nipple and suck on it pretty quickly so don't think they nursed if you don't see that happening.

As far as oats i dont have experience using them on young rabbits, and neither with goats milk

Maybe putting a little goats milk on the oats? but thats just me thinking as I have no experience with that.

I have a seven week old kit that I had to "bottle" feed from around four days old. the first day or so he didn't want to drink what I offered...but he finally figured it out and now he begs even though I'm trying to wean him ~sigh~ its almost to cute to resist. ...anyway I mixed kitten replacement milk with the goats milk and made sure to warm it slightly and that's what he drank...I used an eyedropper since he didn't like the pet bottle I got...hope that helps a lil :)

I had some premature kits on a recent litter and had good luck with holding the doe over the kits. I had tried flipping the doe and the babies didn't seem to be getting anything. I believe there was a thread telling you how to hold her over the kits. The cage idea above sounds great if you are able to do that.

you could try with a plate. dip their heads into the milk so they get a taste. you'll need to dry them off quite well when done.

some have had success using a cloth that is soaked with milk and letting the kits suck off that.

you could use an eye dropper.

you could use a kitten bottle but you need to make the holes a bit bigger.

Thanks. I will give some of these things a try.

I did try getting the doe to nurse and even held her. The kits went from nipple to nipple, she is definitly dried up. :eek:(

If the kits are eating the oatmeal, I would put warm goat's milk on some oatmeal in a saucer or jar lid. A tiny pinch of brown sugar will encourage them to try the mixture. It is very important that they get fluids so make sure water is available too. You can also offer the oatmeal dry. They should have grass hay to nibble as well.

If they're eating oats but not drinking, I'd definitely try soaking the oats in some of the goat's milk, or Ladysown's suggestions.

Sinnfox is right... it can be hard to get them to take from an eyedropper at first, but they come around. Maybe add a little sugar or syrup to the milk. Smear it on their lips, or put a tiny bit on their teeth. :)

We had SUCCESS :)
The eye dropper worked!! They didn't like it a first but once I got a little into them they were drinking like they would out of a watter bottle. I had to get the dropper into the side of their mouth. YAH:)

Now my question is, how much do I give them and how often?<br /><br />__________ Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:06 am __________<br /><br />And again, Thank you all for your Help, you have been safe savers:)

Until thier bellies are small ping pong balls.

You still want them to eat oats and hay so don't fill them up too much. You are really just supplying liquid if they are eating on their own.

If they are mobile enough you should put a shallow bowl / lid / tuna can of water in there so they can learn to drink on their own.

Latest posts

Back