Register

Questions about different types of tans

Discussion of fur breeds, tanning pelts, using the furs, marketing.
BunnyBucks: 200.00

Questions about different types of tans

Post Number:#1  Unread postby LunarFantom » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:22 am

Alright so, I got a book as a gift called "The Complete Book of Tanning Skins and Furs by James Churchill." I can see it was 1934, so quite out of date.

In it, it lists the tanning types that existed in that day: Acid tan (pickling) Aluminum tan (also a sort of dressing), Chrome tanning, and Vegetable tanning.

Acid and Aluminum are stated to not stand up well to repeated washings, which is kind of a problem when making clothes.

Chrome tanning seems fine, but this day in age there's some strict disposal laws around chrome, as well as some worries that it may be a carcinogen? (not something I want in my clothes).

The book really totes vegetable tanning, but when I step online, I see a lot of worry about: the possibility of messing it up, causing hair slippage, rot, lack of flexibility, lack of resistance to heat, a danger of shrinkage, and a potential to stain the fur.

However, I also see all these products like EZ tan, deer hunter's hide tanning solution, blue ridge's sure tan powder, dixietan, and reinhart tanning cream.

What are these things made of? Has anyone tried them? Are they resistant to water or do they wear off after enough washings? :( I knew this would happen if I read an outdated book lol...

TLDR: What are all these new fangled tanning solutions?

Site Supporter
5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
United States of America Male
BunnyBucks: 10,415.00

Re: Questions about different types of tans

Post Number:#2  Unread postby michaels4gardens » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:25 am

I wish you luck..
Maybe..
- start with deciding what you want to do with the hides... then search for the types of tanning solutions available nowadays , that will accomplish your objective.
The tanning recipes that stand up to repeated washings were usually [according to my "old time" understanding ] not "hair on" applications. When we wanted to make "buckskin" clothing, we removed the hair by soaking in "wood ash, and water" until the hair began to slip with gentle pressure, then we stripped off the hair, and rinsed the ash water out of the skins, -- we then used "smoke tan" methods, the clothing remained flexible after being wet and then drying [swimming the river] , and could survive many washings with mild [diluted] lye-soap -and not get stiff or begin to break down.
meat-mutt rabbits, a few laying hens.

2 years of membership2 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 2,800.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby shazza » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:16 am

i don't know what's in synth tans, but i can tell you that you're most likely to get a more consistent product if you use one. veggie, egg, brain, etc. tanning requires the skin to be smoked in order to properly tan it, which can be difficult to do properly at home. alum is a tawn, not a tan, and can degrade over time if not cared for properly. that being said, depending on what you wanna do, they [img]will[/img] work, and plenty of people use them every day and their products last for years.

i personally use EZ-tan, which is a synth tan. it's nontoxic as far as i can tell; it doesn't give me rashes (i have sensitive skin and allergies to everything,) and if you're on city water you can pour it down the drain. the instructions are super easy to follow, and i've gotten consistently good tans every time provided i prepped the skin properly. it's waterproof in that the skin won't start to rot again if it gets wet, but you usually will need to rebreak it if the skin is completely soaked. a few raindrops aren't an issue at all, so i would say it's fine for making clothes (unless you're planning to go swimming for some reason ;P.) i think it's also suitable for hair-off buckskin too. i also know a lot of home tanners that use trubond and they say it gets similar results. the biggest difference is ez-tan is a soak tan, meaning the skins are completely submerged in a solution, and trubond is a brush-on tan.

i've not heard of or used blue ridge, dixietan, and reinhart, but i know that the orange bottle of tan (hunter and trapper's?) isn't that great of a product. the instructions are incomplete and unless you put in a lot of extra work you won't end up with anything nice.
standard rex, harlequin, meat/fur mutts
tumblr: @babbits | facebook: @frithyeer.rabbits | ig: @frithyeerfarm

BunnyBucks: 200.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby LunarFantom » Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:47 pm

shazza wrote:i don't know what's in synth tans, but i can tell you that you're most likely to get a more consistent product if you use one. veggie, egg, brain, etc. tanning requires the skin to be smoked in order to properly tan it, which can be difficult to do properly at home. alum is a tawn, not a tan, and can degrade over time if not cared for properly. that being said, depending on what you wanna do, they [img]will[/img] work, and plenty of people use them every day and their products last for years.

i personally use EZ-tan, which is a synth tan. it's nontoxic as far as i can tell; it doesn't give me rashes (i have sensitive skin and allergies to everything,) and if you're on city water you can pour it down the drain. the instructions are super easy to follow, and i've gotten consistently good tans every time provided i prepped the skin properly. it's waterproof in that the skin won't start to rot again if it gets wet, but you usually will need to rebreak it if the skin is completely soaked. a few raindrops aren't an issue at all, so i would say it's fine for making clothes (unless you're planning to go swimming for some reason ;P.) i think it's also suitable for hair-off buckskin too. i also know a lot of home tanners that use trubond and they say it gets similar results. the biggest difference is ez-tan is a soak tan, meaning the skins are completely submerged in a solution, and trubond is a brush-on tan.

i've not heard of or used blue ridge, dixietan, and reinhart, but i know that the orange bottle of tan (hunter and trapper's?) isn't that great of a product. the instructions are incomplete and unless you put in a lot of extra work you won't end up with anything nice.

I mean, you don't wash mittens every day or anything but I feel like if I sell them, people are gonna wash em occasionally, which means complete water exposure. Not to mention in places like where I live the snow can make you and your clothes quite wet.

6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 13,160.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby GBov » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:30 pm

I use veg tan and get a lovely product but I have no plans to wash them so I have no idea how they would hold up.

Lap throws and pillows need no washing now my kids are long past the throwing up on everything stage. :lol: