My new table top rabbit dispatcher! WARNING! Graphic!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
So I got to thinking and it seemed to me I could adapt the idea of my wall mounted poultry dispatcher to a table top killer and with LOTS of trial and error I came up with this.

Remember this is a prototype so it looks a bit rough. It works great though and I am going to make two more - that look more professionally made - and see how they sell at teh farm swaps.

The kill bar and hinge.

This is the table top with kill bar slotted into its grove.

This is the under side of the table.

And this is the table in use!

Best of all, I can dispatch in my kitchen out of the heat and the bugs with no noise or mess! It does cause bloody staining of the neck meat but I dont mind that and the kicking seems to be MUCH less than when I use to use the .22 on them.

And even rabbits that I have never handled seem to stand on it fine, very calm and intrested in the new thing they are standing on.

I love it!

Looks interesting. Any reason for the double layer of flat steel? Other than just adding a pair together to get the length you needed? Should have an instant cervical dislocation.

grumpy.

Aaargh! Do they all turn purple and have their eyes bulge out like that?!? :eek:

Very innovative design! I was wondering about how the kill bar would function- I was picturing more of a guillotine type mechanism, but horizontal, not parallel.

MaggieJ":13035vly said:
You should patent this design, GBov. Quickly, before someone else does.

I did think of it MaggieJ but with something as simple to build it didn't seem practical to do so.

You are right Grumpy, the double bar is just something I found in the shed the right length. I have bought a length of iron bar so my hubby can drill a hole in it for me and then I can make a good looking one to sell.

The hinge was the hardest thing to sort out but I found an entire bucket of the weird things in my shed so I am set for life if I chose to make many of them. Our house was owned before us by a person who repaired garage doors so the shed is full of very odd bits of hardware. :lol:

mammasheepdog, you made me laugh out loud! No, they DONT all turn purple with bugging out eyes :lol: and you should have HEARD my daughter yell when she saw her beloved bed bunny modeling the latest fashion in dispatchers. :lol:

Good job! I have also switched to the 'broomstick' method instead of the pellet gun. So much quicker and easier than waiting for them to assume the correct position (facing away from me) so I can get the shot angle right.

-Wendy

ChickiesnBunnies":13qmh2d7 said:
Heck, I would just make that a blade and the gap smaller. lol.

Oh NOOOOOOO then it would be like the time I beheaded a quail and lost my grip on it.............

Did you know a quail could spray blood all the way to the ceiling?

Ok, speaking of blood . . . several of my friends have said "oh just slit their throat" (granted, most said that's how their dad or uncle or superman did it, no personal experience), but I do NOT want blood spraying all over me. I thought the Rabbit Wringer looked easy, quick and humane, anyone with firsthand testimony? And do you still need to "bleed out" afterward? If so, why? Just to make cutting up less messy, or some "the meat will rot if you don't" thing?

MaggieJ":361p5ig8 said:
You should patent this design, GBov. Quickly, before someone else does.
I agree. This looks very easy and effective. Unlike broomsticking, it doesn't rely on balance or agility. Unlike the Rabbit Wringer, you don't have to hold the rabbit in the air while you place its head in the device.

ChickiesnBunnies":361p5ig8 said:
Heck, I would just make that a blade and the gap smaller. lol.
I remember something like that being discussed some time ago... If I remember right, the lights don't go out as quickly if you just cut the head off as they do in cervical dislocation. Severing just doesn't do as much damage, so the rabbit actually can experience some suffering.

I agree on getting a patent- but with some modifications, such as an enclosed box to keep the rabbit positioned, and maybe a feed trough to encourage the right head position. Most people are all about convenience or lack the skills to build something themselves, and would rather buy a ready made product than make it.

MamaSheepdog":3qnvjy3p said:
I agree on getting a patent- but with some modifications, such as an enclosed box to keep the rabbit positioned, and maybe a feed trough to encourage the right head position. Most people are all about convenience or lack the skills to build something themselves, and would rather buy a ready made product than make it.

....exactly.

Patenting is a lengthy and expensive process. Figure the costs of doing so against the possible number of sales. The idea is "out-there" now. You've "rang" the bell on your idea....it's impossible to "un-ring" it.

I've thought about your idea since last evening. Already, I've considered building something "similar" with one or two modifications to suit my own personal situation. Would mine be patent-infringement? No, because it's "different". It only takes one or two minute changes from the original idea to skirt the patent laws.

Grumpy.

:shock: I just looked into patents and how to get one............

WOW! Not only complicated but expensive too!

So my gift to rabbit keepers of teh world is a table top dispatcher, use it in good health. :D

LOL, Nice Dispatcher. Thanks for the gift, though I probably won't make one myself. I would be afraid I would get it wrong. :/

GBov":1nnncayp said:
:shock: I just looked into patents and how to get one............

WOW! Not only complicated but expensive too!

So my gift to rabbit keepers of teh world is a table top dispatcher, use it in good health. :D

IT AIN'T CHEAP!!! LOL. Thanks for your idea GBov.

I've got a feed cleaner I made 25 years ago that removes the dust and dirt from all kinds of feed. Including "fines" from rabbit pellets. I've thought for a long time about patenting it. But, like yourself, the money's never been there for the patenting process.

I may take some pics of it here in a few days and "share" it with the rest of the world. LOL. It's a nifty little machine that cleans grain and pellets better than anything I've ever seen. I can clean a 50# bag of pellets in about 5 or 10 minutes. I guarantee you, there will not be three grams of fines left in the feed when I'm through with it.

grumpy.

Patents are expensive, but you may find a patent attorney that is willing to work on contingency. That is what we did twenty years ago when we had zero money. We still had to pay his out of pocket expenses- i.e. for the patent search (he contracted that out), and miscellaneous filing fees, etc., and that was a struggle for us. We even had to borrow $500 at one point from my parents.

The key to getting an attorney to work on contingency is to research your market, and present as much data as you can to support the idea. Your enthusiasm for your product needs to shine through as well.

When we leased our patent to the company that wanted to manufacture the product, our attorney received a percentage of the lease as his payment.

A good attorney will write the patent in a broad way to guard against infringement.

Back