Meat mutt popple colors?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shea

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea at all what I'm looking at color-wise here. The sire is a purebred satin chinchilla and the dam is a lynx from a developed meat line. Her first litter with me was an oops with one of her sons and produced opals, lynx, rew and a chocolate agouti.
If anyone has an idea please feel free to share. :D

I will say that I wont have any problem processing this litter, 4 days old and I've been bit twice. :shock:
Here they are at 4 days old

Attachments

• 20180218_155030_resized.jpg
    20180218_155030_resized.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,778
  • 20180218_154804_resized.jpg
    20180218_154804_resized.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 1,778
  • 20180218_154925_resized(1).jpg
    20180218_154925_resized(1).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,778
4 day old kits have TEETH?! :shock: Jeeze, no wonder my does always seem to be so eager to wean them...

I'm going to take a crack at the bunny guessing game. So Satin Chinchilla buck (maybe? A_ B_ chd_ D_ E_ ) with a Lynx who threw a REW. (?A_ bb Cc dd E_ )

My tentative guess is a chestnut agouti, two chinchilla agoutis and either three opals, or two opals and a self-blue (one at the top of the second photo has hidden ears, not sure what I think that one is).

I see a chestnut and 2 chinchillas. Then theres three dilute agoutis, could be opals and/or blue chin/squirrels.

I find babies often bite to see if it tastes good. I will start to observe if they develop into biters.

Ferra":20bobejv said:
4 day old kits have TEETH?! :shock:
a7736100":20bobejv said:
I find babies often bite to see if it tastes good. I will start to observe if they develop into biters.
:shock:
I've seen the tiny little teeth, but gosh, I didn't realize they could even open their mouths enough to bite someone!!! Mine are more prone to head-butting than biting, though... :lol:

Here is an update on the popples. Still doing good. The 3 dilutes are starting to show some variation, 2 are visibly darker and gaining some brown around the head. :)

20180221_172131.jpg20180221_171653.jpg20180221_171731.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen a blue chin. It will be interesting to watch him grow. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 am __________ <br /><br /> Well I won't get to see her grow. Lost the blue chin and a chinchilla this morning. They got out of the nest box and got soaked by the water dish. :cry: :cry:

I'm going to have to reconfigure the nest box before the next litter. I had planned on doing external hang on nest for my other does So I may give that a try.

I'm sorry for the loss, Shea. I lost two in my first litter of this year as well... hopefully the rest grow big and strong! :encourage:

I just finished tweaking the nestbox on my lunch break, lowered the height a little (so it wil actually fit through the door easy) and added a "bar" at the lip so they can't stumble out. The remaining 4 look healthy and my cats enjoyed their lunch so... :?

Back