Nesting Box and Hay??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Hunter

Reaction score
I built a nesting box for my big doe....8" x 16" with cage wire in the bottom...so if I put hay in there for her to nest in...what keeps her from eating it all first...

Just keep supplying her with more Hay.
Sooner or later she will settle down to the business at hand.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks Ottersatin...I was concerned that she might eat too much...and from what I understand...that could be bad...oh, and can someone give me a really good general description of the different types of Hay..and what I should be putting in her nest box....I am no farmer

Feeding hay outside the nestbox may help. If you are feeding grass hay, you need have no worries about her eating too much. Timothy grass or a mixed grass hay is fine. It will keep her happy and occupied and will not make her fat... and it is very good for GI health.

Since you are having a problem with hay being lost through the cage wire, consider taking a nice big handful of hay and wiring it to the cage, preferably in a corner. That way she can nibble without much waste. You will want to keep a close eye on the nestbox as well, and top it up as needed.

Well,
I use any type of grass-hay. I would not use alfalfa
as the feed is already based on Alfalfa.

JT_Hunter":2w54skl8 said:
Thanks Ottersatin...I was concerned that she might eat too much...and from what I understand...that could be bad...oh, and can someone give me a really good general description of the different types of Hay..and what I should be putting in her nest box....I am no farmer

When you cut the holes for the doors in your cages, use the piece you cut out to make a hay rack. You can see one in the pic below.

Sonic with hay rack.jpg

I got the idea from OtterSatin.... :D Thanks OtterSatin :D ...I just finished making then for the other three cages. Takes about 5-10 min and then all you have to do is stuff a handful in when you see it get low. Mine love it! Also, I keep my empty TP rolls and stuff them with hay and toss in the cage. They LOVE these! They toss them around all over, scratch at them and just generally have a good time getting the hay out.

id just go buy a bail of straw. She wont eat the straw..Makes great bedding too.Well it works for us here anyway..Softwood shavings work well too

I don't understand why people use hay for nestboxes. Straw is the best thing to use. Unless of course straw is unavailable in your area.

OneAcreFarm":2apfynuq said:
JT_Hunter":2apfynuq said:

When you cut the holes for the doors in your cages, use the piece you cut out to make a hay rack. You can see one in the pic below.

I got the idea from OtterSatin.... :D Thanks OtterSatin :D ...I just finished making then for the other three cages. Takes about 5-10 min and then all you have to do is stuff a handful in when you see it get low. Mine love it! Also, I keep my empty TP rolls and stuff them with hay and toss in the cage. They LOVE these! They toss them around all over, scratch at them and just generally have a good time getting the hay out.

what is that black stuff around the door because my doors are quite sharp and i need a way to fix it

sjlattimore88":3j8zgvm2 said:
what is that black stuff around the door because my doors are quite sharp and i need a way to fix it

One can buy plastic edging (metal also) at most rabbit or cage supply houses like Bass or Klubertanz.

__________ Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:06 pm __________

JT_Hunter":3j8zgvm2 said:

A rabbit is never going to each "too much" hay, unless one is speaking of a long time period in which case it could contribute to being overweight. Therefore, when one is speaking about nestboxes, it is not an issue. I have both hay and straw available, and I much prefer hay as a rabbit can "form" it much better than straw. Some does tend to build a "hole" or tunnel especially in the winter. Of course grass hay is much better for nesting as clover or alfalfa is stalky and not as soft. Some say that straw is much more absorbent, but I have not found this to be the case here. After all, wheat straw IS grass hay, just more mature with all the nutrients leached and bleached out of it.

Jessykah":3j8zgvm2 said:
I don't understand why people use hay for nestboxes. Straw is the best thing to use. Unless of course straw is unavailable in your area.

As I stated above, I find fescue, bluegrass, timothy, or brome grass hay superior to straw for use in nest-boxes. Fescue hay is not very high in nutrients, and while it isn't much of a hay to feed, it is very inexpensive in this area, perhaps 1/3 the cost of straw, and available any time, where straw tends to be more seasonable (unless one is forced to buy it at a feed store at elevated prices) Unless one lives in the city, one can pick up grass hay from a local farmer, of a type that is abundant locally, very inexpensively. Of course if one only has one or two rabbits, the feed store route is the easiest.

I found some grass hay lastnight...also got a bale of straw...now to build one more nest box and we are a go for baby bunnies by next Tuesday

straw is cheaper here than hay is. Here, hay is 3.50 to 4 per bale and straw is 3...and straw is very easy to come by here as well. I just bought some for 2 per bale, good quality, because we weren't able to grow enough for our farming needs. We grow our own hay and straw, and sometimes rely on neighbours to sell us some as well.... So it all depends on where you live, how resourceful you are, and if you are buying good quality. My kits wouldn't stay warm enough without straw, but then I am in a cold climate.

If you're concerned with hay at all, try using wood shavings in the box. Maryse (my white doe who just dropped her first litter) wouldn't leave hay in her box, but was cool with wood shavings being in there. She'll eat hay, but just didn't seem kosher with the idea of hay being in with her litter for some reason. It was the first time I've ever used wood shavings for that purpose, and now I'm stuck on it because I can keep a relatively small amount on hand, and it's normally more than enough for what I need.

Just my 0.02 worth!

Good suggestion, SatinsRule. You do need to work with a rabbit's quirks to get the best from them. They can be remarkably stubborn and the caregiver needs to be appropriately flexible in response.

In the colder months
I have often placed a layer of Wood shavings and then grass-hay
in the nestboxes for added warmth/insulation.

So on Saturday I put both nesting boxes in with the ladies...filled with straw...they both promptly emptied it out onto the cage floor...yep, I removed all of the straw they threw out.....put in grass hay...they both built nests....Hmmm...they both do have an empty space on one end, and plenty of grass hay at the other end...they both should kindle Tuesday or Wednesday...

Pick the hay or whatever is "softest", and she may make her own right before she has them. If they are already here you can certainly make her a nest, in the summer hay will be plenty usually. You can also save shed fur from your rabbits in a ziplock for the future, but really moms usually figure it out on their own with subsequent litters.

Back