Register

Babies aren't selling--any ideas?

A place to discuss the particular challenges and ethical issues facing the breeder of pet rabbits today.
8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,646.00

Re: Babies aren't selling--any ideas?

Post Number:#31  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:55 pm

you can just on your ad... say black/white buck 1 (bwM1) or black/white doe 2 (BwF2) that kinda of thing.

I had good success doing that. I find the BEST time to list is Thursday evening. Usually generates interest by Friday morning. Posting Friday means no interest shown til Saturday.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

1 year of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 230.00

Post Number:#32  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:35 pm

I would highly recommend craigslist. I sold all my bunnies in one week and had twice the amount of buyers than bunnies.

8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 36,475.00

Post Number:#33  Unread postby akane » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:52 pm

Many places craiglist doesn't work. Some flag heavily as breeder sells are technically not allowed and some are just flooded with numerous ads. It seems to change through the year. I would guess some people have nothing better to do around here part of the year and just flag cl ads until I have to quit using it for awhile. Other times there are a dozen listings for babies sitting there for weeks as they all compete with each other.
http://s1321.beta.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/library/
Failing might just mean you are trying to climb instead of swim https://youtu.be/evathYHc1Fg

3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 6,427.00

Post Number:#34  Unread postby macksmom98 » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:47 pm

What works for me (and it can depend on what type you breed and your location), is to have a business facebook page. It allows me to share information about bunny care and things happening in the rabbitry, and to announce new litters or rabbits that are going into breeding retirement. People follow me and I get quite a few messages that come thru inquiring about what we have. I also list new litters. It can be tough to share a lot of info, in the case that something could happen. While you dont have to post details, it may be necessary to share sad news with individuals if they already have their eyes set on a specific bunny and something happens. We have also done farmers markets in the parking lot at Tractor Supply, and folks shopping were typically already AG minded and knew the basics of animal care. They could easily buy supplies and a cage in the store, and it seemed to be an ok location for selling bunnies on the spot. Many of these feed stores want to help local farmers and 4-h kids, and will allow you to organize your own event in coordination with them. These are just my 2 cents and whats worked for us. Hope you get them moving, I know how frustrating it can be to have no bunnies and lots of customers and lots of bunnies and no customers.

1 year of membership
BunnyBucks: 230.00

Post Number:#35  Unread postby golden rabbitry » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:43 pm

craigslist has always worked for me. are you selling pets? Craigslist caused me to have a waiting list with 8 people. Another great tip i used is crating a web site using wix and puttiong the link in your adds so people can view more than pics. I also feel it gives you a more perfetional name.
hears mine
https://adothe3rd.wixsite.com/golden-rabbitry

Site Supporter
1 year of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,377.00

Post Number:#36  Unread postby AmberRae » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 pm

I am not sure if it has been mentioned but cute pics are so important. I sold a breeding pair of rex to a peron south of me. She advertises on the same websites as me and is $15 less a bunny than me and I have buyers that drive 45mins more north to buy my bunnies. Its alllllll about tue cute pucs :)

BunnyBucks: 885.00

Post Number:#37  Unread postby hotzcatz » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:01 pm

Some feed stores have a bulletin board where you can post notices. If you have bunnies frequently available, a business card or posting there may let folks know where to get baby bunnies.

A web page is another good idea. Also, if you frequently sell rabbits, having a web page with the care and keeping details saves a lot of telling the same thing to person after person. There's several free web pages available should you not want to get your own domain.

We usually have a list of folks waiting for bunnies before they are born. There's the 'In the Nest Box' page where folks can see the planned upcoming litters as well as who had what. Then there's the 'Available' page for once the bunnies are old enough to go to their new homes.

It's also important to keep back the best ones for breeding, so don't allow folks to freely choose until you've decided which ones to keep.

Here's our 'In the Nestbox' page. http://hillsidefarmhawaii.com/pages/nestbox/nestbox.html It needs to be updated since there's three new baby bunnies from Tootsie & Sydney, but that was also covered on the farm news page. There's still a lot of stuff that needs to be migrated over from the previous (and free) website, but most web sites are generally sort of a work in progress.

Cute pictures really help, too. As well as some discussion about the bunnies. With online advertising, you don't have to pay per word, so a whole discussion as to how their life will be so much better with one of your bunnies in it will go a long way towards increasing sales.
Hula Bunny Yarn from Hillside Farm Hawaii
http://www.hillsidefarmhawaii.com

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 21,202.00

Post Number:#38  Unread postby Marinea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:36 am

Tailoring your ad to your market helps, also. Most of my sales are to folks who want to start breeding their own meat rabbits. My ads talk about litter sizes, grow out rates and good mothers. I do include good pictures, and get calls asking about pets based on that.

I carry business cards with me when I am out and about. I have given out many at the feed store, Tractor Supply, or local flea markets.
Bird House Farm
Organic heirloom farming on a small scale

Previous