Rabbit housing and cocci experiment, findings updated

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zass

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Lets see, the whole experiment and everything that had led up to it.

Sometime last year I had someone deliver a doe to me who had signs hepatic coccidiosis. I didn't recognize it at first and was told she was just skinny from being kept on grass. (red flag)
If I had traveled to pick her up I would have walked away, but since they delivered her to me, and she wasn't overpriced, I figured it was worth a shot to see if I could get her back up to weight.

She was wasted looking, very thin at the hips, but with a hugely bloated belly. She had a good appetite and normal stool. She was perky and friendly. Probably the only friendly SF doe I've ever met!

During this time, I was using a large yard for keeping fryers prior to butchering. (18x24 feet, surrounded by 6 ft privacy panels and with a little roofed pallet shed to get them out of the weather) I had been doing this for a few YEARS without any troubles or disease issues. Never once a spotted liver.

It didn't take me long to decide that SF doeling needed to be on the butcher list and placed her in the ground pen. (still without knowing what was wrong with her, you can see my obvious mistake here)

About a week or two after bringing her home, my caged rabbits starting having digestive problems, just a little diarrhea and then a quick recovery. (I think I butchered that questionable doeling right around then, and although I looked carefully, I didn't see any convincing evidence of hepatic cocci)

When the disease made it way to Pancake, who had a 3 week old litter of 10, things were much worse.
She balled up, looked miserable for a few hours and then crawled into the nestbox, evacuated the largest and most foul smelling mass I'd ever seen a rabbit pass and then just laid in it.

It was cold out. I had no choice but to bring her and the babies inside, and start supportive care immediately.
Because of the kits age, I didn't separate them from the doe, but I knew she couldn't nurse. I feed the kits oats, hay cubes, mashed pumpkin, pellets and a bit of kit formula. The members of RT really helped me through this. Thanks guys!

Pancake continued to pass a tarry nasty and very watery diahrea for almost a week. She was dehydrated and would drink but wouldn't eat. I dropper fed her mashed pumpkin with a bit of salt. Or oats and pumpkin blended together.

I had to clean her backside frequently. She was a very limp animal.

Eventually I was able to get her to take a bit of greens. I offered blackberry leaves, cilantro, dandelions, parsley, fennel. She took fennel greens first. My sickest buns have usually started on fennel first when starting back onto eating on their own. Probably because the sweet anise smell is extra tempting.

I'd like to mention at no point did any kit get thin or have any digestive problems, despite their mothers illness.

Ok, so after almost two weeks of nursing a very very very sick doe, I actually teared up with relief when she was strong enough to struggle out of my hands because she was tired of me stuffing droppers full of pumpkin in her mouth.
She was getting stronger. Oh, right around then she started to nurse again! :shock: What a crazy doe!

Obviously, I couldn't allow her to nurse a litter of 10 in the bone-thin condition she was in. I separated the males, 6 of them between 5 and 6 weeks old, and placed them in my "to be butchered yard" to grow out. By this point, that yard had been empty for at least 3 weeks.

They were meat kits, and not small for their age. They had shelter in there, and I didn't suddenly change their diets.

Pancake was allowed to continue nursing the 4 doelings. Her stool had firmed up, her body weight increased. Eventually they were moved back outside into an all-wire cage.

The kits with her continued to thrive, but something was wrong with the males that were on the ground. They became thin. They ate and drank like horses, but didn't really gain weight. Actually, they were losing it.

We lost a few, and culled the rest far-undersized as a mercy kill.

Autopsy revealed this:

image.php

I didn't know enough about the disease at the time to really be sure how to treat it, and most websites were saying sanitation was the best treatment. So I waited until the doelings who had been on wire to reach a good butcher size. What I found in the girls was...clean livers. One had a single white spot.

OK, so cocci seemed a reasonable assumption. The ground pen was put permanently out of use. To this day I haven't even considered putting a rabbit back in there.

But since the wire-kept rabbits were clean and not sick, I didn't worm everyone. I forgave Pancake for getting sick, since she was pretty stressed from nursing a big litter.
A few months of recovery time and I was ready for another litter on her. (we did it inside, since it was winter, but I kept her cage VERY clean)
Everything went well, rabbits reached butcher size on time and had spotless livers. She has another litter now with very good growth. The other rabbits, some who had had just a bit of diahrea also went on to produce healthy kits. I can only assume their immune systems had things under control.

I'm sure the cocci isn't all gone, but very good sanitation has kept it from being a threat to my herd. I don't want them on a routine wormer if they are healthy enough to simply resist it on their own.

I posted this to show how dramatic the difference can be between rabbits kept on contaminated ground, and rabbits raised on wire.

It made such an impression on me that I tore apart and burned all my wooden hutches that had areas where feces could accumulate, and purchased all new wire cages this spring.

(corrected for spelling, and will probably do so more when I find more errors)

Miss M":22btumff said:
Wow! Excellent post, Zass! Thank you!

I was aware that I was putting those bucklings at risk by putting them on the ground that had been occupied by the same rabbit that I had suspected of infecting my herd.

I still feel pretty terrible for having done that to them. I had no idea how bad it was going to be. :(
If I hadn't, I might not have identified the disease at that time, and could have caused more harm to my rabbits down the road.

In retrospect, I am really surprised we were able to have our fryers on the ground for so long without any troubles. I was lucky then, and at this point wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, unless they were very very sure that their ground and their rabbits were free of the parasite that causes it.

I'd also like to mention that I do not blame the breeder who had sold me the sick rabbit. I believe she didn't know what that rabbit had or had as little experience with the illness as I did.

Many people are just getting into trying out rabbit tractors, and are just now experiencing diseases they may have never seen without putting their bunnies on the ground.

It's possible the disease came in from somewhere else and the timing was a coincidence.
It's possible that Pancake's milk helped the kits left with her to resist the disease, and affected the results some.

Actually, my later weaning habit might have a something to do with my continued success with relying on just sanitation to keep things under control. My current does actually nurse for 8+ weeks, possibly helping my kits through the ages where they are most vulnerable.

I am not willing to experiment again and try weaning them younger. It's just not worth it to me.

Zass":3002eha3 said:
I was aware that I was putting those bucklings at risk by putting them on the ground that had been occupied by the same rabbit that I had suspected of infecting my herd.

I still feel pretty terrible for having done that to them. I had no idea how bad it was going to be. :(
If I hadn't, I might not have identified the disease at that time, and could have caused more harm to my rabbits down the road.
You did what you knew to do at the time in order to identify the problem. I'm not going to condemn you. Yes, I would feel bad, too... but doing that did isolate the problem for you quickly. A lab biopsy may have been prohibitively expensive at the time.

Miss M":7skd46sh said:
Zass":7skd46sh said:

You did what you knew to do at the time in order to identify the problem. I'm not going to condemn you. Yes, I would feel bad, too... but doing that did isolate the problem for you quickly. A lab biopsy may have been prohibitively expensive at the time.

I don't know much about having biopsies done for rabbits. My local vets mainly treat cats and dogs, and make a killing on it. They are always ready to recommend 100 unnecessary and often dangerous things (poor quality pet food, cosmetic surgeries, psychological medications for mentally sound animals, you name it).

To be frank, I don't trust them with the rabbits, and I don't want to be the one footing the bill for them to use my bunnies to "learn on." :evil: (remember, I live in a very isolated small city, in the middle of the woods, with very prohibitive rabbit ordinance that has been in place since 1940.)
If I had known at that time exactly what I was dealing with I could have insisted they be tested for just that and nothing else, and no thank you for "trying out" any treatments, but until I opened up those fryers, I wasn't even sure myself.
What I do know, is that if I could go back and do it over, I definitely wouldn't have had those fryers go through that experience! It wasn't even a little bit fair to them.

Hindsight is 20/20, right? :roll:
Is there a lab that samples could be sent to directly, without it having to go through a local veterinarian?

Zass":35btyq39 said:
To be frank, I don't trust them with the rabbits, and I don't want to be the one footing the bill for them to use my bunnies to "learn on."
Oh, absolutely not... most vets don't know much about treating rabbits. I was talking only about having a liver tissue sample tested.

What I do know, is that if I could go back and do it over, I definitely wouldn't have had those fryers go through that experience! It wasn't even a little bit fair to them.

Hindsight is 20/20, right? :roll:
Precisely. And that's what I meant... you did what you knew to do at the time.

Is there a lab that samples could be sent to directly, without it having to go through a local veterinarian?
I do not know. :(

Zass":1hjurz1k said:
My local vets mainly treat cats and dogs, and make a killing on it. They are always ready to recommend 100 unnecessary and often dangerous things (poor quality pet food, cosmetic surgeries, psychological medications for mentally sound animals, you name it).

To be frank, I don't trust them with the rabbits.

Sounds like our vets, we had a dog that was ready to have pup's and she was sick, she wouldn't start the contractions so she had to have a C section. The next day they ran a blood test to try to find out what was wrong and they ran the blood test twice! It only needed to be done once, vet's don't care anymore. All they care about is how much money they can make, I don't trust them with my animals.

MR_ND":326af5q9 said:
Zass":326af5q9 said:
My local vets mainly treat cats and dogs, and make a killing on it. They are always ready to recommend 100 unnecessary and often dangerous things (poor quality pet food, cosmetic surgeries, psychological medications for mentally sound animals, you name it).

To be frank, I don't trust them with the rabbits.

Sounds like our vets, we had a dog that was ready to have pup's and she was sick, she wouldn't start the contractions so she had to have a C section. The next day they ran a blood test to try to find out what was wrong and they ran the blood test twice! It only needed to be done once, vet's don't care anymore. All they care about is how much money they can make, I don't trust them with my animals.

I feel the same way about vets... I've just had too many experiences where I've been able to naturally treat/figure it out myself when they've had absolutely no clue and wanted to basically poison my animals by drug-bombing them with absolutely no clue whether it would work or not. :slap: :angry:

after many years of experience, I will admit I still am discovering just how much I do not know.-- but-- I decided long ago to treat all of my breed stock each year with a coccidiostat , and a wormer, during the winter when I do not breed them.[and am not feeding them weeds with a lot of dirt on the roots] and-- if it is ever deemed necessary to give an antibiotic to a rabbit [or anything else] I use a probiotic as a chaser in an hour or so, or added to the water.
IMHO .. Some vets are excellent and some sure are not, but-I raise rabbits for meat, or market- when raising rabbit for meat, a $100 vet call/ visit, is not going to fit into the farm budget, and-- if an animal is sick,weak, or unproductive, it should never be used for breed stock "ever" - so a vet bill is just an extra expense unless you need a specific test done.

Due to a stroke of terrible luck, I was forced to cull Pancake. (she had started sneezing white snot today, the second rabbit in a recent outbreak here. I could save her from diahrea and digestive ailments and nurse her back to health, but for snot, I can do nothing :( )

I thought for research purpose, a pic of her liver would be useful.

After seeing those kits last year, I kinda expected to see SOME cocci damage on her liver. Aside from me tearing it when pulling it out. She looked OK inside. :shock:

image.php

Looking at this, I wonder. Was Pancake ever actually exposed to hepatic cocci, or was it only the kits in the ground pen who contracted it?

Some vets are excellent and some sure are not
An excellent vet is an irreplaceable treasure.

I had one for many years, and he has only recently retired.

Speaking of irreplaceable, rest in peace Pancake. She weaned 34 fryers in 4 litters, and was an absolute joy to work with. I would have liked to have known her for many more years.

I had two rabbits over the last 2 months with terrible "snot and obvious respiratory distress, I quarantined them at first sign of a wet nose, and then treated them with Garlic chives and Big Mountain Sage, it has been several weeks and neither one has shown any symptoms again after a week on the "treatment" I will keep them away from the others for a month or 2 more just to see. The first one [mentioned on another thread] has 12 kits who are eating solid food and would be fine on their own [5 weeks] she was able to survive and still raise her kits.- they are just a little smaller then others the same age,[but with fewer kits] but very healthy looking.... it has been about a month, and I have seen no other rabbits with symptoms-- so-- we will see how this works.

michaels4gardens":3gkvk7q5 said:
I had two rabbits over the last 2 months with terrible "snot and obvious respiratory distress, I quarantined them at first sign of a wet nose, and then treated them with Garlic chives and Big Mountain Sage, it has been several weeks and neither one has shown any symptoms again after a week on the "treatment" I will keep them away from the others for a month or 2 more just to see. The first one [mentioned on another thread] has 12 kits who are eating solid food and would be fine on their own [5 weeks] she was able to survive and still raise her kits.- they are just a little smaller then others the same age,[but with fewer kits] but very healthy looking.... it has been about a month, and I have seen no other rabbits with symptoms-- so-- we will see how this works.

I've been following that experiment of yours with great interest! I'm quite not prepared to try to emulate it yet tough. Rather, I'm waiting on your longer term findings.

Last time I had sneezing, everybunny got sick and I ended up having to wipe out the whole herd. By pulling anyone who sneezes, with or without snot at this point, I hope to contain it fast enough to save my juniors.

-- Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:26 pm --

I suppose I could try feeding some garlic tops to the currently healthy rabbits. If they don't get sick, it won't help determine anything, since they might not have been at risk to begin with.

Garlic and alliums in general are controversial, since they are considered dangerous to dogs and cats. They often appear on do not feed lists.

Obviously, humans can take them well, and they can provide some pretty serious health benefits to us.

Any known studies on rabbits in particular?

J Egy
Efficacy of garlic extract on hepatic coccidiosis in infected rabbits (Oryctolagus cuniculus): histological and biochemical studies
Toulah FH1, Al-Rawi MM.
Author information
Abstract
The rabbits were divided into three groups, of 12 rabbits each. G1 was the (non-infected non-treated) as control, G2 was the (infected-non treated), and G3 was the (infected and treated) rabbits. Each rabbit in the infected groups were given (10(3)) sporuleted oocysts of Eimeria stiedae per rabbit after forty five days exactly. Faecal sample of rabbits from each group were examined each day post infection till oocysts appeared in faeces. The treatment was given by using suitable dosage of garlic according to body weight. After 15, 21, 28, & 35 days post-treatment faecal oocysts were output. Biochemical parameters as serum liver function (ALT, AST, GGT & ALP) that denoted the he-patic cells injury. The results showed a significant differences in the mean values of oocysts shedding and their mean number in bile ducts between Gs 2 &3 from the 15th day post infection (PI) (mean +/-SD:40.33 +/- 16.72 & 25.17 +/- .56 respectively) till the experimental end on the 35th day (55.75 +/- 19.79 & 0.94 +/- 1.43 respectively). The histopathological alterations were in liver of G2 at the experimental end. Coccidiosis in G2 induced histopathological alterations in liver tissue, marked cytoplasmic vacuolations in hepatocytes with clear signs of karyolysis, and dilatation of sinusoids with increase in Kupffer cells. Leukocytic infiltration around congested blood vessels was noticed. Efficacy of garlic on E. stiedae in infected Gs was resident. The liver of G3 regained almost normal appearance compared to control.

It's great that garlic prevented hepatic coccidia BUT they didn't test for haemolytic anemia in the rabbits, mention if any perished from anaphylaxis and didn't follow up with whether replacement does fed garlic were as fertile as the control group, any effects on embryos or milk production, or even if the flavour of the meat was effected :shrug:

More research is needed but unfortunately the funding for holistic treatments is pretty much non-existant

It's like trying to use a bottle of medicine without a label to outline the dosage and list potential side effects.

Wondering how much is safe, and how much is needed to do anything at all.

The fact that drugs (even natural ones) can be dangerous is no surprise to me. Of course, if there was a way to boost immune systems and prevent infection by pasteurella...well...it's not like we really have many other tools. :shrug: Quarantine and preventing exposure, culling sneezers, and trying hard not to stress the animals.

Once a rabbit is blowing snot bubbles, I won't mess with treatment. That animal is done.

With the rabbits I don't use medicines at all if I can help it, and try to maintain health by culling for natural resistance.

Looking at Pancake's liver, it seems like she was doing well against any cocci she may have been exposed to. Or perhaps her digestive problem was just coincidental timing?

Keeping her on wire may have made some of the difference. Between the doe, and a litter of 10, only the kits that were weaned early (between 5 and 6 weeks is early for me) and placed on the ground developed the liver spotting, and that was really the main point of my thread.

Keeping them in a very clean environment and perhaps extended nursing times (does willing) are probably useful tools one might keep in mind while battling the stuff without medications.

Dood":2110eapa said:
It's great that garlic prevented hepatic coccidia BUT they didn't test for haemolytic anemia in the rabbits, mention if any perished from anaphylaxis and didn't follow up with whether replacement does fed garlic were as fertile as the control group, any effects on embryos or milk production, or even if the flavour of the meat was effected :shrug:

More research is needed but unfortunately the funding for holistic treatments is pretty much non-existant

Good point, my test is very far from a well funded study, [ garlic-for-coccidiosis-and-maybe-e-c-protozoan-parasites-t20890.html ]but-- in time valuable info can be shared.

Latest posts

Back