Is he sick or no?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Little question. I have a Nz 11wk old buck that I got last weekend. Well yesterday when I was in my room I heard this grumbling noise and didn't know what it was then I thought it might be my cats stomach. Well I heard it again while I was cleaning his cage out and it is actually his stomach. I've never heard a rabbits stomach grumble. Its like when your hungry and your stomach grumbles. Well he has food but I don't think his eating it anymore. I put some dandelion leaves in his cage this morning and he ate all of them. He seems to be drinking and going potty just fine. He even sometimes comes to the cage down when I have it open because he wants to come out and look around. This grumbling started yesterday when I had him and my other 11wk old Nz doe out running around my room. Found out they don't like each other since they started to grab and pull fur out so I put them back in their cages and only one at a time comes out to play now. I don't believe he could of got into anything since my floor is clean. I do have a carpet down though but I don't believe he was pulling at it. I did catch him trying to chew on my flip-flop. I also did see him in my cats litter pan checking it out and pottying in there but I don't think he ate no litter. I have no idea way his stomach is making noises. Has anyone's rabbit stomach done this. I have noticed though that he seems to be laying down a lot though. I really want to find out what is going on with my boy here. I don't want him sick. So any advice will help greatly. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:10 pm __________ <br /><br /> Now I noticed he has diarrhea. I'm not sure if I'm giving him to many greens from outside or if his sick with something. How can I get the diarrhea gone?

You can give infant smethicone drops to help relieve the discomfort some, if you'd like. There are also a lot of gas relieving herbs, like mint and dill.
You description of the GI noises suggests to me that there was already something causing an upset inside him before you gave him the greens.

You just got these bunnies, correct? Did they switch feeds when they came to you? That alone could cause diahrea.

You can offer hay and some old fashioned kitchen oatmeal, especially if he refuses pellets. Watch him closely to make sure he doesn't become dehydrated.
Dehydrated rabbits will often give the appearance of losing weight rapidly. You will be able to feel their spines far too easily.
If he seems dehydrated, you can offer pedialyte or even water sweetened with a bit of fruit juice to encourage drinking. If he isn't drinking, you can give fluids with a dropper.

maggie j should chime in with good herbs for diahrea!

precious, stop the greens and pellets at once. Give him timothy hey and old fashion oatmeal flakes. I give mine raspberry leaves when one of mine gets the trots and it works well. Just a couple leaves twice a day usually does the trick in less than 24 hours. Like Zass said, "watch for dehydration", it's a fast way to lose a bunny.

Diarrhea in a rabbit is an emergency, so when Homer says to stop the greens and pellets at once, that is why.

Like the others said, hay and old-fashioned kitchen oatmeal. Homer recommended Timothy hay, but that is very expensive here. Any hay will do.

Then, of course, the recommended plants, as well.

Keeping the rabbit eating and drinking is crucial. I hope he pulls through! :clover:

Well it seems like his poop is starting to hard up just a tiny bit though after I gave him a few strawberry leaves and some hay. <br /><br /> __________ Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:26 pm __________ <br /><br /> He tricked me he does have harder poop sometimes but other times it is still diarrhea. What kind of fruit juice should I try and how much? I have been busy all day so I don't know if his drinking or not but I want to make sure he is. I don't want to lose my sweet boy

When I need my buns to drink more I just add a little apple juice or maybe some Gatorade.
I usually have the 100% juice on hand for the grand kids anyway .But they seem to like the Gatorade better. :lol:
I don't add much maybe half an ounce for a large crock. Hope your bunny feels better real soon. :)

Gatorade or Pedialyte would be better than fruit juice, as it would replace electrolytes he is losing with the diarrhea.

But the main thing is to keep him drinking. You can even give him diluted tea, unsweetened or just barely sweetened.

Also, he doesn't have to eat a lot right now, he just has to eat some. :)

Probably like here... most don't feed Timothy. We can get Bahia or Bermuda for $5 - 6 per square bale, from a farmer. $7.50 if we get it at the feed store.

Well I don't have either of those drinks. I can see if I have some apple juice that my niece usually gets. Right now his only getting hay and his eating it. He doesn't have the grumbling stomach anymore. I'm going to be cleaning his cage today and checking to see if his poop has started to harden up. I really hope he gets better soon. His such a sweetheart.

That is excellent that he is eating hay!

If he's drinking water, that's great! If he's not drinking enough, that's when you need to try to tempt him to drink. Even a little molasses swirled in with the water to get him to drink. Too much sugar can bring on the diarrhea again, so go easy. :)

Ok I will try that. I just went in to feed my doe I have and he heard me putting the food in her bowl and he came to his bowl looking for some food. What should I do? Should I give him just a small amount since he wants some food.

If he's looking for food I'd give him a teaspoon or so of pellets and see how he deals with that.
If he's asking he's probably ready for food.

He seems to have got the grumbly tummy again. It was after I feed him some food yesterday. Then I got some food he was raised on and gave him just a small amount today but he still have the grumbly tummy. He seems fine. Drinking all his water and eating his hay I give him. I don't know what could be wrong with my boy. He is a lot smaller than my doe I got with him and a little thin but other than that he seems fine. I don't know what I should do. I get to put them out in the bunny barn friday but I don't know if I should put him out there just yet? What do you think I should do?

Well he has diarrhea again. It has to be from the food I gave him that he wasn't raised on but now Im giving him just a small amount of food the lady I got him from had him on. He is also still getting hay though. What could be going on with him? Could he possible have some type of worm messing with his tummy or is it just the rabbit food?

It could be a parasite like worms or cocci. It could be feed toxins.

I could also still be just from a feed switch, since it can take rabbits a long time to regulate after something like that if their gut bacteria gets unbalanced.

The loud noises combined with diahrea that has been going on for more than just a day make me think he's at pretty high risk of death from dehydration. Keep him warm and make sire he gets enough fluids. Consider giving him an electrolyte solution and benebac.

His drinking plenty of water and is eating all his pellets and hay. I just don't know what it could be and I don't have the money right now to get anything to help with parasites/worms. I just hope its just the food his not use to so I don't have to cull him. The doe that was right next to him is just fine. His not though. His lost weight which isn't a good thing at all. I can feel his bones. I don't know what else to do. His still away from all my other rabbits and I don't plan on putting him in the bunny barn until I know for sure his ok and won't get my other bunnies sick.

I plan on taking his cage outside and cleaning is good since his has diarrhea and then take him back to my room until his better. I hope he gets better soon. My 3 yr old niece just adores him because his so sweet and always wants attention from her.

Latest posts

Back