Register

Feeds to enhance milk production

Provide a well rounded diet without commercial feed, including discussions of the methods and merits of growing fodder.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Feeds to enhance milk production

Post Number:#1  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:17 pm

I've seen mention of plants and herbs to feed to increase milk supply, but is it all in any one place? I am unsure if my doe is producing enough milk. Once the kits latch on they seem satisfied, not seeking out other teats or anything, but they don't get really round bellies either.

I seem to recall raspberry leaf is good- does that apply to other brambles? We have boysenberries.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Re: Feeds to enhance milk production

Post Number:#2  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:37 pm

I don't know about boysenberry... you should google it, preferably by Latin name.

I like this website for herbal information for rabbits. It mentions goat's rue, fennel and fenugreek for supporting lactation. There are likely other herbs too. Two Hunnyz is a member, although she rarely posts.

http://twohunnyzrabbitry.webs.com/herbinformation.htm

I've never tried these herbs... but I know Two Hunnyz uses them.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks, Maggie! 3rd plant listed is Borage, greatly increases milk production, and I have it! Whoo-hoo! Will read the rest of the list later, gonna go pick that bun some leaves.
Last edited by MamaSheepdog on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Borage is certainly safe. :)
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 7,340.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby hoodat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:49 am

The best green of all IMHO is one of the cabbage family BUT with a big proviso. Your doe has to be used to eating it. It has to be introduced slowly till the proper intestinal bacteria are thriving to digest it or she will get gas and that's always bad news. The reason I like the cabbage family is that they are high in both calcium and proteins with enough sugars to keep her from getting thin.
Mature red clover with enough stems to provide fiber is almost a good without the likelihood of intestinal upset.
Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem.

Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Number:#6  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:44 am

I have yet to try cabbage on any of my rabbits because of the gas issue.

When you guys talk about red clover, are you speaking of the wild one that has burgundy colored leaves and tiny yellow flowers? Mine grows in partial shade to shade.
IMG_4712.JPG
IMG_4712.JPG (85.91 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
Victory Garden Rabbits

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership

Post Number:#7  Unread postby hoodat » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:25 pm

No that's oxalis. It's bad for rabbits even though they will eat it. The oxalic acid in it can build up in the kidneys.
Red clover has large green leaves and long stems. It can grow to three feet high. It's the red color of the flowers that gives it the name red clover.
Last edited by hoodat on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Number:#8  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:26 pm

Ah. Thanks. It is a cute little plant though.
Victory Garden Rabbits

BunnyBucks: 1,777.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Bramble Hedge » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:24 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:I've seen mention of plants and herbs to feed to increase milk supply, but is it all in any one place? I am unsure if my doe is producing enough milk. Once the kits latch on they seem satisfied, not seeking out other teats or anything, but they don't get really round bellies either.

I seem to recall raspberry leaf is good- does that apply to other brambles? We have boysenberries.

Not this bramble :lol:
:) Hearty discussion is the sharing of knowledge = and knowledge is never a bad thing :)

:pinkbunny: http://www.minilop.webs.com :pinkbunny:

Post Number:#10  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Bramble Hedge wrote:
Not this bramble :lol:

:rotfl:
Victory Garden Rabbits

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 3,811.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby caroline » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Since it was recommended to me when I posted with a litter of 12 when I was getting started with rabbits again this time, I feed whole oats, a tablespoon or two in the mornings to all my nursing does. I feed more once the kits are out of the nest box since they love it too. Don't know if it helps or not since I always do it. But I haven't any question that they were getting enough. The kits all seem fat and growing.
(\__/)(\(\ (Y) () ()
(='.'=)(-.-)('.')(^;^)
(")_(")(")(")(")(")(")(")
Rancho Madonna Rex Rabbits ~
They add to food security & give a lot of JOY!

Site Admin
Canada Female

Post Number:#12  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:29 pm

MamaSheepdog, this is the red clover that one feeds to rabbits:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trifolium_pratense

You may know it as purple clover.

Raspberry, blackberry and strawberry leaves can all be fed to rabbits. I don't see why boysenberry, which is a hybrid of raspberry, blackberry and loganberry should not be good for them too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boysenberry
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Post Number:#13  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Ah- "red" flowers. Makem sensem now. :indian: I have a canister of white clover seed that I bought for planting around my grapevines, etc. I'll check the Latin name.

Good to know about the boysenberry- the buns will be happy. :)
Victory Garden Rabbits

Post Number:#14  Unread postby hoodat » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:41 pm

MamaSheepdog wrote:Ah- "red" flowers. Makem sensem now. :indian: I have a canister of white clover seed that I bought for planting around my grapevines, etc. I'll check the Latin name.

Good to know about the boysenberry- the buns will be happy. :)

White clover is excellent and wild rabbits feed on it extensively but it's a small plant and tedious to gather enough for a feeding.

Post Number:#15  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:43 pm

My white clover gets a good six inches tall, with leaves larger than a quarter.
Victory Garden Rabbits

Next