very hot

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba man

Reaction score
hello all - it was near 90 today and my girls seem hot - what is the best way to keep them kool - they are new zealands so maybe they were staying in back in their house just to be cooler - i was giving them whole corn which they L O V E - when i had pigeons we use to give corn cause it built up heat in the body so i`ll stop corn till it ghets cool - anybody ever spray them with water just a thought

The best method I have found is to freeze water in soda pop bottles or milk jugs. Put those in the cage and the buns will lie up against them to stay cool.

If they seem to be over heating you can spray the ears with lukewarm(not cold) water. The blood vessels in the ears are near to the surface of the skin and will help cool down the rest of the body.

I wouldn't recommend spraying the rabbits themselves with water, as, as far as I know, they are very sensitive to it and catch cold easily, as the undercoat can take a long time to dry out completely.

LittleFluffyBunnies":3r8ei9uz said:
The best method I have found is to freeze water in soda pop bottles or milk jugs. Put those in the cage and the buns will lie up against them to stay cool.

If they seem to be over heating you can spray the ears with lukewarm(not cold) water. The blood vessels in the ears are near to the surface of the skin and will help cool down the rest of the body.

I wouldn't recommend spraying the rabbits themselves with water, as, as far as I know, they are very sensitive to it and catch cold easily, as the undercoat can take a long time to dry out completely.

getting a rabbit "soaking wet" is often problematic, they can lose body heat too fast, and often get into trouble.
-- then, .. they dry too slowly, so they have further complications from that
... If you must get a rabbit "entirely soaking wet, [either because of widespread urine scald, and or wet poop all over them,or as a "last ditch" effort to lower the temperature of a rabbit in "heat distress" ], ... be sure to dry the rabbit with a hair dryer, on the "warm" not hot setting...

michaels4gardens":2d6lrmnf said:
getting a rabbit "soaking wet" is often problematic ...
I also noticed a problem with this many years ago when I did meat rabbits with my neighbor. We did not operate long enough to graduate to water bottles, so we used crocks all year around. As a result during the summer, our breeding doe would cool herself by soaking her dewlap in her drinking water. This resulted in a fur based yeast infection.

Back