Vent disease?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
I am not sure but I think my chestnut netherland doe has vent disease. She is only 1 week away from giving birth, is there anything ican do? Also where do you get antibiotics? do I have to go to the vets or does tsc carry it?

Sorry to hear! It can be treated with Penicillin, which you can get at the feed store. While the bottle states intra-muscular injections, I did find out the Penicillin Procaine can also be subcutaneously injected, just so you know, as I drove myself crazy trying to figure that one out, not wanting to do intra-muscular!

Here's some treatment choices http://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbit-syphilis.html

and Barbi's got the measurements, 1/10th cc per lb of rabbit http://www.barbibrownsbunnies.com/meds.htm

I treated my buck with Penecillin. He didn't have open sores but just a raised bumpy area, that made a big yellow pimple, and now continues to just be a strange growth on his genitals. The penicillin did nothing except clear up his respiratory issues thoroughly :) I am stumped what is going on with my guy. I found the last doe he was with has raised bumps on her vagina. But again, not red or scabby.

Good luck with your bunny! Hope she recovers quickly - I did read somewhere she can pass it to her babies when they are being born.

Short: If you give antibiotics, also give probiotics. Be prepared to, take the pellets away and be able to put the rabbit on a hay / oat diet, in other words a lower protein diet, while she is handling the antibiotics.

Long:
- Probiotics help keep mammals from getting diarrhea,
- rabbits can develope enteritis.
- Enteritis is inflammation of the small intestine. Symptoms: The symptoms may begin hours to days after you become infected. Symptoms may include: Abdominal pain; Diarrhea - acute and severe; Loss of appetite; Vomiting.
- Enteritis can 'possibally' kill the doe and kits in and day or so. Once they get to the diarrhea stage, it can be very hard to bring them back.
-------------------
- Very Long Explaination:
some good links
- http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/ ... abbits.htm
- "rabbit’s milk is much more concentrated in fat (12.9 g/100 g), protein (12.3 g/100 g) and energy (8.4 MJ/kg)"
http://riunet.upv.es/bitstream/handle/1 ... 9-1-SM.pdf
What this means is that, when you wean, if the babies have problems with the pellets, it will be because if the protein being higher. As soon as you see a problem, take the pellets away and only allow the weaning rabbits to have hay, oats and a probiotic. If you have researched rabbit safe herbs, those might help too - ask MaggieJ about that, if you ever have that problem. There are some good list of rabbit safe plants, in the natural feeding section.
- this link is about baby pigs, they are more commercial and have more written about them -- The same problems can happen with baby rabbits.
http://www.nadis.org.uk/bulletins/small ... scour.aspx

Jessica, I got PenG from the local feed mill and it was only $10. If you go to the vet's I'm sure it will be much more. I'm currently treating 2 of my Netherlands for vent disease. I have a third doe that I'm not sure has it, but she just delivered so I won't be treating her until the kits are a little older if I determine for sure she has it. I've added hay to the diet of the ones I'm treating and have had no problems. They're getting 1/2 cc subq, once a week for 3 weeks. I noticed a huge difference within a few days of the first dose...it really seems to be working! Best of luck to you!

@ MamaMandy - what did your vent disease look like? My buck had some swelling upraised area and a pustule, but didn't seem to respond to the Pen G... how fast did yours clear up?

Stormy, my buck and doe that had it had red, swollen, scabby genitals. They looked very painful. Within maybe 3 or 4 days after the first dose the swelling was gone and the scabs were visibly healing. Maybe your buck has something else?

vent disease responds to meds.

if your buck has something that is not resolved by meds something else is going on. OR you treated him incorrectly (not long enough, not correct dose, wrong meds etc)

if what he has is infectious then you may need to consider just culling him and anything affected.

Thanks MamaMandy - yes yours sounds pretty clear what that was.

Jack has an appt with the vet. He's not culling material, he is a pet and a prize Belgian Hare :) He was allowed to mingle with the wild rabbits til we put a stop to that! We're still keeping an eye out for black & tan cottontails...

Hope you can find out what it is. Let us know what the vet says! Black and tan cottontails would be interesting...LOL

Stormy":1sduxk76 said:
He's not culling material, he is a pet and a prize Belgian Hare

then i would HIGHLY recommend that until you solve that pustule problem you do not put him with any other rabbits. You don't want to end up infecting a good portion of your herd. Keep him isolated away from them as vent disease spreads through contact.

Stormy":2p77espw said:
We're still keeping an eye out for black & tan cottontails...
Domestic rabbits are a different breed than wild cottontails, they can not crossbreed. If what you have there, could actually be domestic rabbits, that were let loose and have gone feral, then they can cross breed. Would be intresting to find out. :)

Thanks everyone!!

2 last question. Should I wait until after she delivers her kits or should I go ahead and treat her now? Should I treat the kits when they are a little older since it is passed during kindling or should I just wait and see?

Piper":3tc8tue0 said:
Stormy":3tc8tue0 said:
Domestic rabbits are a different breed than wild cottontails, they can not crossbreed. If what you have there, could actually be domestic rabbits, that were let loose and have gone feral, then they can cross breed. Would be intresting to find out. :)

Stranger things have happened.

Hoping the visit to the Vet gives you some clue as to what your prized Belgian has. Fingers crossed it's nothing nasty.

Karen<br /><br />__________ Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:22 am __________<br /><br />
JessicaR":3tc8tue0 said:
Thanks everyone!!

2 last question. Should I wait until after she delivers her kits or should I go ahead and treat her now? Should I treat the kits when they are a little older since it is passed during kindling or should I just wait and see?

I would think it be a bit unsafe to treat a pregnant doe with any kind of medication? Could hurt the kits? I would wait until after the kindling to treat her and than wait until the kits are a bit older to see if they really did get the disease passed by Mom. Why give medication if it's not needed?

Karen

JessicaR, I meant to say that I read that treating a pregnant doe can cause her to miscarry. I'd wait until after she has them and is well established with them, nursing etc. As far as the kits go, I'd take a wait and see approach, but that's just me. Others may feel differently. I did read that it's best to wait on treating kits until they're almost adults since antibiotics can cause diarrhea and young rabbits seem to be prone to gastro problems as it is. The two adults that I've been treating have been getting hay along with their pellets and haven't seemed to have any issues. Best of luck to you in getting this cleared up!

I will wait then and treat her after the kits are a little older then. She is still in quarintene and i guess I will just have to leave her there a bit longer. I am planning on keeping a doe from her, if she has on of course :roll: I will keep a close eye on her and maybe if keep her away from the other rabbits for a while too.

Piper":364q3sl7 said:
Stormy":364q3sl7 said:

No, there are no feral domestic rabbits around here I assure you, unless they came from my house. They would be quickly eaten by our neighbor's cat, the myriad of foxes, bobcats, coyotes, owls, hawks. Not a chance. The cottontails however have been spotted ON my property.

I did look it up - you are right - they are different genus & species and I didn't know that - thank you. Thought cottontails were more related to European Rabbits. However, that does NOT stop animals from breeding. I even know of a killer whale x dolphin hybrid baby. Killer whales usually eat dolphins, their natural prey in the wild. It was a case of a lonely whale in an aquatic park who jumped tanks. Lions and tigers are crossed too. My point is, they are "close enough" to probably produce offspring. Just like horses and donkeys make mules. Which are 99.9% of the time sterile, but I have also heard the news of non-sterile mules happening. So don't be so sure! My rabbit got a respiratory infection and SYPHILUS from mating something outside my rabbitry!!<br /><br />__________ Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:48 pm __________<br /><br />Early stages of rabbit syphilus: can look like a bump or pimple on the genitals, even tiny bumps. This morning I discovered my entire herd is infected and I am so bummed. I couldn't find pix online but my vet has access to vet files and found pix of early stages syphilus just being small raised bumps. I'm horrified. I just imported 4 new rabbits from convention and am afraid of transmission to them too just by my hands :(
The Pen G Procaine Sub-cutaneously injected DOES NOT WORK. At least, didn't work for me. My vet is ordering the DUO-PEN which is sub-cut injected. If you can get your hands on that, go for that one.

Latest posts

Back