Buck Anatomy problem split penis picts

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysthelimit

Reaction score
My favorite blue buck, the one that I posted pictures of when I first joined, the one that posed by himself; I believe he has a split penis. Instead of the usual cone shape penis (don't know how else to describe it), is split up the base and the two pieces curl under and out.

Second, I can't get the penis to extend out on my favorite opal buck.

The castor buck seems just fine. All three are from the same litter. I checked them all, and it was just those two that did not have normal parts. I read somewhere that inability to make a penis extend was a sign of having a split penis.

:( Just needing to vent. I don't need to keep any bucks from either related litter, but it would have helped advance my Opal Rex project to have those two to breed to my castor doe.

How awful! I have yet to see a split penis, and hope I never do.

Now I'm worried, and want to go check everybunny.

grumpy":mcfccavd said:
Genetics??

You might want to keep an eye on further youngsters from that particular pairing.

Grumpy.

Yep. Well the doe died when a repeat litter of kits were three weeks old. The others I culled for various reasons, not being show quality means meat for dogs. So it's just those three boys, and one is going to a pet home, so none will be kept. Of the other litter, only two look promising, the castor buck I don't need, and a blue doe I was going to breed with a castor doe from another litter. It's fairly easy for me to cull the entire line (except the sire) and never miss them.

We got a buck (mini rex) from Ohio that decided to ahem ahem "show his entire manhood" whilst being judged... well he had the worst split P that we ever saw... well it was the only one I saw.. :x :x :x This buck had it fully out so I don't think not getting it out is a definitive sign that it is a split p. You might have to get him excited with a doe and then quickly flip him over. It may be that some bucks are a little shy :oops:

I checked again. The blue definitely has an opening in the penis. I checked the opal. The castor and blue have either one testicle or visible scrotal pouches. The opal does not.

It may be possible that the opal is not a buck.

I had someone recently try to sell me a buck (even though i wasn't interested) I happen to look at their Facebook page to find out it was a split penis buck and she wasn't going to sell it with a pedigree but could for $15 extra dollars???? Why would I want to let something in my program like that when I don't have that problem? I don't know why this Rabbitry would think I would want a rabbit of low quality with split penis issues delivered from Ohio to ga????

Hmm 'Ambiguous Genitalia' one of my fav things, not!!! Always had a hard time with the Flemish, so much extra skin and often very hard to tell, you'd think with larger rabbits it would be easier, its really not. Split penises are fairly common in Mini Rex, I have a buck here right now that was given to me for that reason. I've seen pretty bad ones, sometimes they curl over and the rabbit cannot breed, sometimes just the tip is 'fingered' and they can, other times the defect is minor and almost can be missed. And now for the genetics behind split penises- While upsetting their not the end of the world, no the rabbit cannot be shown, and it can be bred, with the following caveat- you can only keep bucks out of the litter, and you have to grow them out and make certain that it has a normal penis. You see a split penis cannot be carried by a buck, it has to be expressed, hence your two abnormals and your one normal. However does can sort of technically carry it, because they do not have a penis you cannot 'see' it even if they do 'carry' the flaw. So you can have a buck with a normal penis bred to a doe who has the flaw and get abnormals and not know how you got them. You can breed a abnormal buck to a normal doe and get both norms and abnorms, but at least you know where it came from, isn't this fun? I imagine its worth it if the buck is truly exceptional, and you need to hold onto the genetics. I'm growing this buck I have out to see if he's worth taking a chance on, but its looking like he may be heading for the pot. Shame he's a nice BEW MR.

One of my ea's has a split penis. He is a Wooler/pet though so he will never be bred. Its a pitty though cause he is beautiful. I thought he was female for 5 months, then his balls dropped. Lol

Ugh. Well the blue can go, he's in a holding cage waiting to be butchered. He's good, but not enough for me to play around. Genetics are surprising enough, so I want to control what I can. And I'm hurting for does, two litters of mostly bucks---I need does, and I don't want to have to keep bucks. So should I just cull the does from the other set of repeat kits? I'd rather not, and it will set me back months, but I will.

Its really up to you to cull the does or not, if their in a litter with abnormal bucks yes they can have the defect and produce it. You could breed them and then only keep normal bucks, but would not be able to keep any does, because then you'd possibly be spreading it in your herd with every doe you kept. Quite a quandry, can be managed, but it means a lot of culls, and disapointment, and pouring food into rabbits that you may have to cull later. No easy answers, I can only tell you what I would do. I'm thinking that I'm not going to use that abnormal buck that I have, I also have his grandfather, who is granded and registered and just produced a nice litter. Granpa is also a false dwarf, which means no peanuts. I also have some very nice vienna carriers from an outside buck, am going to keep one of them instead. However if we were talking about a rare breed, such as Palomino's or Silvers I may have chosen to move forward and cull heavily. Because your dealing with Rex, which I do realize are scarce in some parts of the country but still available I would myself would cull and work from there, hoping I didn't see it again, which someday you will.

Honorine":1eslfwek said:
Its really up to you to cull the does or not, if their in a litter with abnormal bucks yes they can have the defect and produce it. You could breed them and then only keep normal bucks, but would not be able to keep any does, because then you'd possibly be spreading it in your herd with every doe you kept. Quite a quandry, can be managed, but it means a lot of culls, and disapointment, and pouring food into rabbits that you may have to cull later. No easy answers, I can only tell you what I would do. I'm thinking that I'm not going to use that abnormal buck that I have, I also have his grandfather, who is granded and registered and just produced a nice litter. Granpa is also a false dwarf, which means no peanuts. I also have some very nice vienna carriers from an outside buck, am going to keep one of them instead. However if we were talking about a rare breed, such as Palomino's or Silvers I may have chosen to move forward and cull heavily. Because your dealing with Rex, which I do realize are scarce in some parts of the country but still available I would myself would cull and work from there, hoping I didn't see it again, which someday you will.

Then I will cull them all today or tomorrow, they are big enough to make a decent meal for the dogs. I can save myself some feed in return, and I have two litters on the ground, and one more Rex litter on the way this week, and Rex I am picking up, so I hope I've got some females out of that.<br /><br />__________ Thu May 10, 2012 1:59 pm __________<br /><br />The deed is done. I culled a total of 5 rabbits yesterday. I haven't gotten around to the bucks yet, they are 10 weeks old. One will go to a pet home this weekend, then I will do the rest, they are big enough to be one meal for a dog now.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":3hpg0kyr said:
skythelimit. How heavy are the rabbits when you give them to your dogs.?do you give to them cooked or raw. The bones are harder than chickens bones.Are your dogs able to chew the back leg bones or do you strip it.?

The rabbits are generally no more than five lbs. All of my dogs are on the raw diet, so I usually just take the pelt and give the rabbit to them. They share a 5lb rabbit, each getting a little more than a lb of meat/innards. This time they ate most of the fur, as I have no real use for the broken patterned pelts. These are adult german shepherds, so I don't think any had any real trouble with the bones, they ate goat legs a few weeks ago, nothing left anywhere.

Thanks, I do feed the raw diet to my dogs. I have 3 ,,,,2 beagles and a jack. So not large dogs. I was just wondering if the rabbits bones are hard to chew than chickens. As i have a beagles that dosnt like to chew on bones to much. She lazy. The last rabbit i did for them i end up cooking it because i wasnt to sure on the bones. I have 4 more coming up in a few weeks and possible 2 large does. I guess the young ones i will keep for raw and the adults i would cook for them.

I have shelties, I feed them the ribcages and front legs raw without problems.

Pink":1musbz4j said:
Could you post a picture of split penis? I'm curious to know what it looks like...

I wish I had taken the picture before I culled him, but he wouldn't have been very cooperative. I will describe it the best I can. The tip of a penis should be pointed, like a cone shape. There seems to be an obvious seam up the back of it, where this seam was supposed to be closed, the extended penis tip was flared open, from tip to maybe quarter inch, wide enough for me to fit a toothpick in, with kind of like the shape you get when you put your hands together at your pinkies and your fingers point away from you, with it curling at the ends (what would be the index and middle fingers in my hand shape illustration). Hope I'm describing it right. I checked every other mature buck in my herd to make sure I was looking at what I thought I was looking at.

I did a google search on split penis, and most of the images weren't very good. It did say that split penises often curve, and I have a young buck that curves- but he was shown, and the judges didn't mention he had a split penis. :?

I also obsessively checked all the bucks in the growout cages, and some of them don't look quite "normal" either! ACK!

How about some pics of normal bucks to compare to? That would give us a good starting point anyway.

Latest posts

Back