Split penis info

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secuono

Reaction score
Tried to do a search, didn't find a thread that told about genetics.
If a pair produces a kit with SP, can the kit be bred no issue or should be culled?
Other kits were fine, this one I was keeping to replace his dad has a split willy head, so I guess he will have to be dinner now. :/
So, bad pair, bad son or bad both?
And no, I have no others to mix them and see what comes out.

I had this discussion with my breeder recently. I would cull it, see if the pair produces it again, if so, do not breed them to each other any more.

So does this get passed down to all offspring even if none show it? IE, is it one of those things that makes the whole line terminal? No way to get rid of it w/the pair I have?
It will be a long 12wks before I know if any of this new litter has it or not.

CnB - there's the rub, at least one is a carrier, so all the offspring will be carriers. So, even if you cull the buck, the doe offspring will pass it along ... and if you sell any as breeding stock, you are then passing a genetic abnormality along to an unsuspecting breeder. This is the "hard part" experienced breeders talk about ... unless you can spay/neuter any you sell as pets, there is always the chance that they will breed.

I did post but under the more scientific name about mine who was having problems with a split penis. I decided not to even send him off as a pet.

It is general wisdom to cull the buck with the split penis. Both for genetics and for potential breeding difficulties. Usually the pair isn't culled because it rarely shows up even when they are rebred many times and no not all offspring will carry it. Think about a punnet square if you know color genetics. If each rabbit has 1 of a gene then 25% get 2 of the gene to show the problem/color while 25% don't get any and half are carriers. This stuff is even more complicated than colors and less predictable so that you can't put simple odds like that on it but not every offspring will carry the potential to produce a problem. I've had 1 out of several dozen from that pair. Those with rabbits that produce larger litters could probably quote much lower numbers. The champagne breeder I got mine from and showed us how to check a rabbit over when buying said he sees it in maybe 1 in 1000 of his and he linebreeds heavily. They've been breeding for more than 10 years since their kids were in 4-h and seen 3-5. If you are getting it very often from a pair I would split the pair and if it happens multiple times again I would cull the one that I bred to 2 different rabbits. That's usually enough to keep the odds low enough an entire line doesn't have to be culled for it.

I sell to others who breed for meat, not show or what have you. Most are eaten by us, few, usually does, sell. This buck will be dinner and I'll save a new buck or two and see how they turn out.
I don't have the $ to buy a new pair to risk having yet again, the same issue. If I did shows and sold for showing and such, I'd have to get a new pair.
Thanks

I don't think the show people cull it any harder. It's something you have to check in all show rabbits you buy as well because it's in every breed and most lines can display it randomly.

I see it as a genetic fault, there are some that see it as an environmental issue of some kind (never understood that other then an injury maybe?). Regardless, its something I do not tolerate. When I first started lions I got a kid that had it but still reproduced just fine, didn't know any better and a year later after being 'informed' its not some thing you want nor any one wants (keep in mind I was talking with another breeder that breeds more for show and for 4h/ffa kids rabbits) its a bad thing I shipped them all off to butcher. I got a seemingly good bunch of Mini Rex a few months ago, started line breeding and guess what popped up. Split penis in every buck in the litter 2nd time bred back....SO they all went the butcher but 1 special chocolate chin who I'm hoping to pet out. If not to a reliable well known person, he'll be cut just like the rest.

It might be a good idea to post pics of any split penises to see what variation there is- I imagine some cases would be more severe than others. Can you see a difference in the foreskin as well, or is it only when the penis is extended?

Cnb - I am not sure why you made such a comment, but the use of the word cull does not necessarily mean to kill ... to cull is to remove from the breeding project and that can be accomplished by simple neutering and sending to a pet home. Me, personally, I cull by sending to freezer camp too, so yes, I kill culls on occassion. I also cull for personality and that one will be sent to freezer camp before a genetic abnormality! I will offer as pet-quality from 8 to 12 weeks of age, and what doesn't sell go to freezer camp. An outstanding personality or fiber/color will get a longer chance to go as a pet. But, one line of rabbits here are just simple meat mutts and are destined for the freezer eventually. That is my decision and may be different from yours. Neither is right or wrong. Simply a difference in goals and preferences.

I've also culled entire lines on the *possibility* of bad personality. I had that psycho doe and I butchered her and all her insane offspring except one buck, bred him to my calmest doe, butchered everything (father and offspring) but one buck, bred to another calm doe, butchered everything but 1, and so on for 5 generations before finally keeping a doe I think is sane enough for breeding and selling offspring after crossing to a nice buck.

Mine with a split penis had just the end split. It was normal down to the end and then had 2 openings. One of which kept clogging with white stringy stuff I had to pull out which was hard cause it was connected down in deep. Sometimes it's best to cull them by killing. No one could explain it and who knows what would have progressed from it over time and when he reached sexual maturity.

Each person needs to decide as soon as they can what they will and will not deal with. I met a judge a few weeks ago. He does not medicate at all. If it gets sickly, it gets culled. I'm starting to feel the same way.
I've long ago decided that I will not sell anything I wouldn't breed myself, off to freezer camp it goes. Anything that is sold as a pet his something I would have kept if circumstances had allowed. That's the only real way I see to even attempt to assure quality control.

I don't medicate illness. If it gets sick and recovers it goes to a pet home. If it doesn't look like it's going to it gets put down. I was told when I started if you see a shelf full of antibiotics run away from the rabbitry as fast as possible. If you medicate everything and especially if you breed them after that you will be breeding weak animals that will make more that get sick and every rabbit you sell will ruin the lines for other breeders.

I will medicate some injuries to some rabbits. Some rabbits are destined for food anyway so I'm not going through the effort to save them just so I can butcher them a little later.

Latest posts

Back