Sexing Newborn kits **pics**

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're ready and I have no pictures! :cry: I tried to take some today but they were not clear enough.
From what I could tell it looked like most of the litter are bucklings.
I might try to get some better photos tomorrow to post.

WhWRabbitry":2m9jyix7 said:
You're ready and I have no pictures! :cry: I tried to take some today but they were not clear enough.
From what I could tell it looked like most of the litter are bucklings.
I might try to get some better photos tomorrow to post.

I'm right there with you. I was going to post some pics today, after carefully hypnotizing each 2 week old kit (sort of) so I could snap a 'money shot', I looked at the pictures and decided they either weren't clear enough, or were 'duh, female'. Lol one of the kits I'm more uncertain than the others, first look told me boy, today I'm thinking girl. I might try to share that pic tomorrow sometime if I don't get snowed in. :p <br /><br /> __________ Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:02 am __________ <br /><br /> This is the one I'm most uncertain about... not seeing a 'tube' pop up like the two (fairly certain) bucklings I found in the litter, but looks a bit more protruded than the (fairly certain) doelings. My first thought when I looked the other day was 'buck', but now I'm thinking 'doe'. :p

IMAG0171.jpg

I would say that you have a buckling. He might be split though. The reason I say this is that there is a distinct fold around the opening in question. I do not see this in any of the little doelings I have ever sexed. I have highlighted it in the picture below if that helps some.
unknown kit.jpg

If you could take another picture of him in about a week I could tell you more accurately. To be sure, it is so hard when they are that small.

Thank you! I am planning to look again when they hit 3 weeks to see if anything has... 'changed' ;) In the meantime, I'm continuing to get them used to being handled, held on their backs, etc.

Alright any and all that are good at this... let me hear what gender you think these 6 kits are.
I think I'm getting a little better at this and have my guesses. Let me know yours pretty please: (4 1/2 week old Mini Lops)

Harlie Gender photo.jpg

Quincy gender photo.jpg

Patches gender photo.jpg

Pepper gender photo.jpg

Magpie gender photo.jpg
Apparently I can only add 5 attachments so I'll add kit #6 after this.

__________ Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:00 pm __________

and here's kit #6
Lineback gender photo.jpg

:thankyou:

If there are bigger pics, can you please send them to me? Having a hard time seeing some of the bits.

Looks like:

1. Buck
2. Doe (I can't see the slit, but it looks like it has a doe shape from far away)
3. Doe
4. Buck
5. Buck
6. Buck

Hope this helps!

Edit: From the e-mailed picture of #2, it looks like it is sticking out more, but I still can't see if there is a hole or slit. If it has a doughnut shape with a hole, then I go with buck. :)

Thank you so much Hendricks Hearth!!

Others viewing - let me hear if you agree, please.
I was thinking all except #3 look like bucks.
However, the picture of #2 isn't quite as clear, as Hendricks Hearth said.
I can try to post a better picture of that one later tonight if needed.

I like to give people a good guess of gender before they put their deposit down @ 5 weeks.
No guarantees given on gender - just what is thought.

I need some help please. Even my daughter makes fun of how poorly I sex kits. These are 6 weeks old. I didn't take the picture, so let me know if it's too blurry.

__________ Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:39 pm __________

Help!!!!!! <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:16 pm __________ <br /><br /> They mostly look like girls to me although I think Ripper is a girl. Can anyone help? I've got to transport two does tomorrow morning!!

Attachments

• Chile (4).JPG
    Chile (4).JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 5,237
  • Coffee (2).JPG
    Coffee (2).JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 5,237
  • Frosty (3).JPG
    Frosty (3).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 5,237
  • Red (2).JPG
    Red (2).JPG
    225.6 KB · Views: 5,237
  • Ripper (3).JPG
    Ripper (3).JPG
    92 KB · Views: 5,237
EnglishSpot":e8o7hm2r said:
I need some help please. Even my daughter makes fun of how poorly I sex kits. These are 6 weeks old. I didn't take the picture, so let me know if it's too blurry.

__________ Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:39 pm __________

Help!!!!!!

__________ Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:16 pm __________

They mostly look like girls to me although I think Ripper is a girl. Can anyone help? I've got to transport two does tomorrow morning!!

I can't tell with "Ripper", it seems sort of blurry on that one but "Red" looks like a buck to me and "Frosty", "Coffee", and "Chile" all look like does to me.

I'm pretty sure this is a boy but thought I would ask yall.
003 (500x375).jpg
4 out of 5 kits look like this. The 5th one is most certainly a doe.

001 (500x375).jpg
I don't know if you can see it or not but the penis is almost fully formed in this one. 1 buckling has what I would call a normal penis, 1 has a one that is half way between a normal penis and the 1st picture, and 2 are just like the 1st picture. But all looked like the 1st picture a week ago.

So, does a buckling's penis go through a changing or a hooding phase?

avdpas77":1ui9xfzj said:
It is great information, but why would one want to mess with newborns when there are several reasons not to? Not criticizing here, just curious.

It does not matter if you hold newborn kits a minimal amount. All those myths about rabbit moms rejecting their babies are not exactly true. Only about 1/10 bun moms do that. So if you know what your doing it is OK. :)

I have never had a doe reject kits because I've handled them, with over 100 litters and counting. I'm often there during labor, birth, cleaning of the kits, and during nursing. My presence has saved more than one kit. I've helped kits get going if they've been left in the sac as mom is busy with other kits. I've done one emergency C-section after a doe passed between kit 2 and 3. I saved an additional 3 kits, only losing the one that was in the birth canal. Being there for your rabbits is just as much a part of animal husbandry there as it would be with cattle or horses.
I have yet to ever hear of an actual instance where a doe abandoned her kits because someone touched them. That goes the same for baby birds and wild rabbits as well. Its only repeated over and over as a myth, to keep children and well meaning people from interfering where they shouldnt.

I had this problem hardcore with mice. Even when they were literally almost ready to reproduce I still couldn't tell. I like to hope rabbits will be easier, or that my ahem, life experience now will make it easier.

Thanks for the guide though! If I'm lucky I WON'T have to post a topic with a bunch of pictures of my bunny's behinds now. : P (fingers crossed at least)

Back